• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pike fishing Lake kabetogama

Hey guys and gals. I am going up to lake kabetogama around June 18 for 2-3 days targeting pike. I have been up several times and not caught anything over 25 inches. I want to try and locate a true monster this time. Any spot recommendations and or lure recommendations? Thank you!

I have only fished Kab in September, but I will be up there the same weekend. I have caught multiple large pike there with jerk baits around weeds and rocks. I have also caught large pike trolling leadcore over deep structure in September. I would think, and this is highly dependent on the water temperature, that the larger pike will still be in the shallower bays. If the water warms up a little earlier they will be transitioning out to deeper structure. I would start in the bays, especially around weeds, and use what you are comfortable with and have confidence in. 

Dark spinnerbaits or Muskie killers. We’ve never dialed in any particular pattern, we’ve pretty much caught them in anywhere...rocks, weeds, drop offs, bays, islands, and everything in between.

I’ve only fished Kab once but I can imagine it behaves a lot like other shield lakes.  Try to spend time near current and use large baits; either live or artificial.  I’d never go pike fishing in that area without some F18 Rapalas.  The good old Original Floater in silver/black back being a top color choice.

• 5 months later...

Got up to Kab late yesterday and only got to fish for about half an hour, but caught 2 slot walleye trolling leadcore in 28 to 30 fow. Going to get out shortly and put in a few hours before heading to the bear sanctuary. I'll post more as the trip unfolds. 

• Thumbs Up 1