• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AlanS

Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A

Hookmaster

Wow. I won't be signing.

“There is a large amount of evidence that these killings adversely affect a lakes fish population for years, sometimes decades.”

Alan, post links to the “large amount of evidence”.

“Even if it did not there are modern methods that do not require this wasteful brutality.”

Alan, post links or describe the “modern methods”.

Not much info in your example of a what a "survey should look like".

• Thumbs Up 1
leech~~

It is sad to see them wash up on shore afterwards though. I called the Brainerd Fishery Sup, after these two washed up it our campground on Edward lake.  They had been test gill netting all over the lake and I actually watched and talked to the crews for about 1/2hr pull in some nets.  I thought they brought all the netted fish back to their station for testing? I told the Supervisor it was hard for a 100 people at the campground who are having a hard time even catching Walleye to see this on the swimming beach the next morning! 😲

The Fishery Supervisor told me sorry about that. The crews try and hit the air bags when they slit the stomach to check the contents, before they sink them to the bottom. 

After all these years I never knew that they slit and sink 100's of fish they net in each lake during their testing to the bottom?  Bring them to a food shelter? 🤔

110240190_2694401014141210_4943792033935591637_n.jpg

110175817_2694400837474561_418003522827038442_n.jpg

Edited by leech~~
ozzie

what a shame!  I had no clue the DNR kills fish they net as I assumed they would attempt to safely release them, but after thinking about that longer I guess most fish don't survive nets!

• Thumbs Up 1
Mike89

didn't know that either, what shame...

• Thumbs Up 1
JBMasterAngler

I talked to a survey crew once. They had a boat full of fish. They told me they donate most of the fish to food shelves. But also do studies on some, testing for mercury, etc. The rest is composted. 

I will not sign this petition!

leech~~
6 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

I talked to a survey crew once. They had a boat full of fish. They told me they donate most of the fish to food shelves. But also do studies on some, testing for mercury, etc. The rest is composted. 

I will not sign this petition!

Then we got some conflicting Info. Did you ask what MN DNR fisheries office they were out of?  The Brainerd fisheries supervisor said that they are not setup with coolers nor have room in the boats to collect and keep fish at a safe temp to donate. Sounds like some crew is not following the department procedures.

I didn't say I would sign a petition, but I sure am open to some kind of use of this resource then just dumping it to the bottom. 😕

Kettle

I know some have been donated to raptor centers for food.

Kettle 

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis

They don't use nets for sampling every species of fish.  They use electrofishing for some, which only stuns the fish temporarily.  After the shock wave is turned off, the fish swim away like nothing happened.  We did this in college on the river a couple times and not a single fish died.  Fascinating to see the variety of fish swimming in the area we electrofished.  We also used a back pack electrofishing device in a trout stream in April.  Electrofishing is only effective in shallower water areas though, as the shockwave has limitations.

Mortality amongst almost all species of fish is much higher in the warmer summer months whether you are using a net or fishing for them using rod n reel, especially if you are using live bait.  So the solution here is to sample in the spring or fall when the water is cooler and avoid using live bait in the heat of summer.

leech~~
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

They don't use nets for sampling every species of fish.  They use electrofishing for some, which only stuns the fish temporarily.  After the shock wave is turned off, the fish swim away like nothing happened.  We did this in college on the river a couple times and not a single fish died.  Fascinating to see the variety of fish swimming in the area we electrofished.  We also used a back pack electrofishing device in a trout stream in April.  Electrofishing is only effective in shallower water areas though, as the shockwave has limitations.

Mortality amongst almost all species of fish is much higher in the warmer summer months whether you are using a net or fishing for them using rod n reel, especially if you are using live bait.  So the solution here is to sample in the spring or fall when the water is cooler and avoid using live bait in the heat of summer.

Yep they use shock capture in shallow waters like rivers but not in deep lakes. Any fish that is checked for stomach contents, is going straight to the bottom. 🙃

Wanderer

If the DNR could only afford Livescope… 😉

leech~~
21 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

If the DNR could only afford Livescope… 😉

My first thought when I found out they dump them to the bottom. My fish cam, big treble hook and follow the DNR test crew around until I got my limit! 😆

• Yayyyy 1
whateverisbiting
On 7/6/2021 at 7:52 AM, gimruis said:

and avoid using live bait in the heat of summer.

How does this reduce mortality?  Just catch less?

gimruis
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, whateverisbiting said:

How does this reduce mortality?  Just catch less?

Countless studies have proven that the use of live bait when the water is warm results in very high mortality.  That's part of the reason Mille Lacs is currently closed to walleye fishing and the use of live bait is prohibited right now.

Fish often swallow live bait so they are hooked deeper.  As opposed to artificial lures which are more likely to get hooked in the mouth rather than the throat or gills.  You can still kill a fish using artificial lures after you release it, its just far less likely when compared to using live bait.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1
JBMasterAngler
On 7/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, leech~~ said:

Then we got some conflicting Info. Did you ask what MN DNR fisheries office they were out of?  The Brainerd fisheries supervisor said that they are not setup with coolers nor have room in the boats to collect and keep fish at a safe temp to donate. Sounds like some crew is not following the department procedures.

I didn't say I would sign a petition, but I sure am open to some kind of use of this resource then just dumping it to the bottom. 😕

Lake vermilion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bvickers
      By Bvickers
      Bring some friends up to Vermilion around Oct 16th this year. They are dead set on crappie fishing. I know no one here will say where to go crappie fishing, but I have an idea and they don't mind a day on the water hunting for a school. Just wondering if the bite is there that time of year to make chasing worth the effort. I usually drag them trolling for trout and they want something that's a little more exciting.
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• klee103
      By klee103
      How are the lakes across southern Minnesota? 
      Do they "green" up with the summer heat?
      Are there any lakes you would recommend for sunfish, crappie or perch?  
      Looking to do a day trip or 2 this fall to somewhere from Fairmont to Mankato.

Any recommendations?
      Thanks!
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      What a year it has been with this drought. The Mighty Mississippi isn't so mighty anymore but doesn't stop the smallmouth from eating. Got out for a nice evening float after work and found a few quality Bronzebacks. 

• MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      Living in SW Minneapolis, and have gotten back into fishing after many years away (guess COVID was good for something). I mostly fish in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Calhoun) and other urban lakes because I can get to 'em and get out on the water under pure human power (not opposed to electrics or real boats, just can't afford 'em). Most times out I'll get bass or northerns... but no dang walleye, despite all the fry that DNR pours in there. In fact, I've been living in Minnesota for 3 years now, and from the BWCA to the southern lakes, I have never gotten a walleye to bite, be it leech, jig, dropshot, or crankbait. Which tells me I need to quit trying on my own and get on the water with somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty flexible about timing; can even do some weekdays if we plan in advance. Would love to meet others who fish my local lakes, but at this point, I'll happily travel to learn the mysteries of the 'eyes. If you're looking for another partner or just like to spin yarns, I'll listen and bring along some brews and gas money for your troubles.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Was looking at doing some bass fishing on big marine. I saw on the map that little inlet on the far south side that goes into some super shallow water. I’m guessing it’s full of weeds or pads of some sort. Anyone bass fished tgat in the summer before. I would be doing it by canoe. Just seeing if it’s worth a shot.. Thanks 
    • jim curlee
      By jim curlee
      Took the grandson up to Elephant yesterday.
      We fished about 4 hours, we caught bluegill after bluegill the whole time we were on the water, where ever we went.
      I don't think we had one over 8"s.

What doesn't make sense to me is why they put a limit of 10, on the sunfish.
      I'm no biologist, but I think they should let you take more than the state limit, but put a slot in place.
      They might get some quality fish with a slot, but the way it is now, the lake is over populated with 6" bluegills, which are great for grandkids, me not so much.
      We don't keep those bigger bluegills, we love catching them, but there are so few now a days, that you have to release them too.

Went to another lake last night, there we caught some nice gills, about 15 the size that Austin is holding, all were returned to the lake.
      Most of the bonus walleyes went back too, there's a couple in the fridge. lol 

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • Skill-lessWanderer
      By Skill-lessWanderer
      Heading out for 5 days of Crappie fishing on Bad Axe Lake this coming Friday. We did really well last year catching more than we could possibly want and more than enough to eat. What I was wondering was with Memorial Day falling a week later and the unusual spring weather we’ve had, if anyone is noticing a big difference in the location of Crappies this year compared to last year? Should they still be super shallow on the small lakes like last year or are they already sliding deeper with how warm it got earlier than past years? Thanks in advance! Also looking forward to boating around and seeing the Muskies basking in the sun and a much needed break from work by spending time with the family doing what we love.
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• fishingstar
      I have two Labs that are 7 years a part. it took them less then a month to get a long. Now they are best buds.
    • SkunkedAgain
      ...and that was the worst team that they will play all season. It's a rough road ahead.
    • delcecchi
      Interesting.   Have to give the narrows more respect in the future...
    • delcecchi
      Ah the old un-named bay trick...  Got an end?   
    • pwencel
      We have 4 AKC GSP puppies left for sale that are ready for their new homes. Pedigrees Available. Great family dogs and hunting dogs. Born on 8/2/21. Call or text me for pictures or if you have any questions!.  320 808 4541
    • monstermoose78
      Finn is going to be 6 in October. Thanks the pup will be fun
    • maryjames9939
      someone provide me good information on vintage seiko watch..
    • smurfy
      👍i'll bet he is. how old is Finn??? when i brought my new lab home, my 13 year old sheltie was not a fan!!!!! with the energy that young pup had, the sheltie did a lot of hiding!!!!!🤣 its getting better!!!!!   have fun with the new pup!!!!!!!!!
    • monstermoose78
      Tomorrow is the day Hazel comes home!! I am super excited to have a second lab in the house. Finn is in for a surprise with puppy around. 
    • mtheis
      I just got back from staying up at Vermilion for a week, and I made a few notes:   The water temp was consistent at 66 degrees Monday through Saturday.  The weather was crazy wet or wildly windy, and I found my biggest walleyes (15-17's) were caught in my standard spots Monday through Wednesday.  Then a switch turned off, and I had to relocate and find new spots as my previous ones were dead for the rest of the week.  Never seen anything like that before.  After the lake calmed, and skies turned blue, I could only catch the 9-14 inchers.  The biggest I saved for fish fries, and I even scrapped up a limit to take home.   I used lead core, and I fished in water depths ranging from 20-25 ft.  I saw alot of HUGE balls of bait and tried to keep slightly above them.  I tried many different colors, and silver out produced everything and I couldn't buy a fish on my favorite color, fire tiger.  The lake appears to be less dirty this year for me.  With invasive species this may become the norm.    I found a bay that was absolutely stacked with fish.  I spent two days there, and no one was around to compete with me.  I loved it.  But it was too small for me to let out enough lead core so I tied a three way with a line counter reel and a 2 oz sinker with a 6ft leader.  That worked really well.  It came to me again, you do not need to invest in a lot of pricey equipment to get your lures down deep.  Those fish were again in 20-25 ft of water.  I hope this helps someone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.