• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

dutchboy II

With the crazy restrictions on Mille Lacs and the uncertain opener are any of you still planning to fish Mille Lacs?  Will you hit other lakes or just going to stay home this summer and hope things get back to normal?  The very dedicated Walleye guys are really going to need to adjust or hit other lakes.

Businesses are going to get clobbered.

Sad situation. Hopefully there is something left in 2021.  

• Thanks 1
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

I hit Mill Lacs once a summer but it's not a real big deal to miss it. More than likely wont even go this year. Wish I could but may not even have that option with this stuff going on now.   I have lakes near my area that always produce good results if you put in the time to figure them out. Ill fish locally as I almost always  do through the summer just way easier with my hectic work schedule. Many people would be surprised how good of fishing they have close to them if they would only put in the effort and time to learn the lakes near them. Agree with all these bad years with the regulations and now this sad but true some of the mom pop resorts just wont make it to much longer.

• Thanks 1
dutchboy II

I hear ya on fishing locally. I only like big water, not for the fish but because I get tired of going round & round like a NASCAR. Also have a very low tolerance for jet ski's, water skiers, speed boats.

Fishing is just something I do while on the water, not the reason I go.

• Yayyyy 1
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

I know where your coming from always on the water well before sunrise and usally of by 10 or so.  My  buddies always say we know your off the lake and the boats loded as soon as we see the first jet ski or water skier. 😀 Problem so many are so inconsiderate now a days. They see I'm walleye fishing and its like a game to go right by me when they have the whole open part of the lake to tear up. 😡 

• Wow, ❤ 1
ANYFISH2

I don't think the Regulations with effect people coming to the lake to fish.   Mille lacs has been plenty busy over the last decade of less ideal regulations.

I suppose some people are not staying at resorts here, and launch service numbers are down, but the angler effort is still there. 

Seems everyone has a 18ft boat that can handle big water now a days, and all the electronics you want.  People are more likely to drive to and back home as of late.

I know a number if people that complain about the regs on Mille lacs but still go a number of times each year because the fishing is fun there for numbers and size.  

The tourism business is fine, if your business model fits today's traveling angler.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
gimruis

I usually fish mille lacs about 3-4 times a year, usually in the spring before it gets hot out there.  I do not stay there, as I live within 90 miles of the lake.  I sometimes stop for breakfast or lunch but that won't happen if I decide to go this season.  I will probably still go and make a half day out of it at some point.  I exclusively use artificial lures so I don't need to stop for bait and if I need to stop for gas I will pay at the pump.

I think there will be less people fishing it because they have encouraged people to fish "locally" (whatever this means is different to everyone).  Lodging options will definitely be more limited and bars/restaurants/resorts may not be operating as they normally would.

As for the fishing out there and the regs...can't say I agree that winter anglers are able to keep fish and soft water anglers can't keep anything AND have a month long closure, but it is what it is.  The walleye, smallmouth, pike, and muskie fishing is still fantastic and there is state record trophy caliber potential for bass and muskies right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • icefishkab
      By icefishkab
      We are excited to announce that Sandy Point Lodge & Resort has purchased Aluma-Lite angling houses to rent this winter in addition to our already established fleet of darkhouse rentals for spearing.  Spend your winter trip hunting for a trophy Northern, angling Walleye, or a combination of both!  More information can be found at https://sandypointlodge.com/winter-activities!

Contact us today at 218-875-2615 or via email at [email protected]

Fish on!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      The bass are starting to put their feed bag on! Check out this video below. We were near Park Rapids.

• Uncle Boney
      By Uncle Boney
      Staying 10 days in the narrows, end of September. Should we head west toward Treasure Island or east toward Frazier Bay?  I’m usually a slip bobber guy. Any live bait tips. Fished on Vermilion but never this late in the fall. 

Anything  to catch in the Narrows other than Northerns?
    • Steven k
      By Steven k
      I've been in the area for a while but I haven't tried river fishing for walleye.  I think it would be a great time with my 12 year old. Just wondering on basically the best approach would be. Are there any decent spots where it's a little more private?  Thanks for any help. 
    • simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • Mkregness
      By Mkregness
      Does anybody have any experience with Wilson lake? 
      It got good reports on the DNR survey but I’ve never fished it.
      looking for walleye in northerns.
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• FishinCT
      Fished Saturday through Monday on the east end. As Brian said it was brutal weather. Wind wasn’t so bad but the wet snow Saturday and below freezing temps Sunday and Monday made things difficult. Didn’t do well until Monday when we put together a 30+ fish day. Caught more than a limit worth of 14-17” fish. Kept just a couple for a meal. Lots of them in that 10-13 range which bodes well for next year.     Nothing special on the tactics. Caught most of them in one spot. Fish were scattered all over a big mud flat in between islands at 30-35 feet. Jig and lindy caught about the same number of fish. Jig caught a few more of the keeper size fish.    Fish were coughing up what looked like mayfly larvae. Is that common this time of year? Maybe it was something else?
    • MnCowboy
      You mention that if an archery hunter and firearms hunter are together they are considered 2 parties. Is that the same with crossbows, which use an archery tag. Would it be considered 2 parties (and obviously could not help fill each others tags)
    • chucker1101
      Only if you're crazy
    • Darrell Larson
      Skunked Again, heavy wet snow last night been shoveling it I'd say 3"+, what ice was there yesterday is now gone in front of my house anyways, more like a big slushy, 30' beyond is open water again. I have 44 degrees on the deck right now, you should be safe making a trip this weekend. If I'm wrong PM me I send you my address and you can come punch me in the nose.
    • mulefarm
    • DonBo
      Buddy and I were fishing just below Whalan last summer and he caught two keeper sized walleye on a Rappala.  We were pretty surprised.
    • SkunkedAgain
      It's not a very deep lake, so it is all relative. Most of the lake is 30-40ft deep so it is a relatively easy lake to fish from that standpoint. They aren't sliding any deeper than on a bright sunny day in July. There is also not much of a fall turnover to worry about.
    • ozzie
      Great to hear from you Dtro!  It is sad that the participation in forums like this is going by the wayside and it seems we are losing valued members constantly which is sad, but also the way of the world.  Great to hear you are succeeding in your latest adventure, but that does not surprise me, as following you for the past 15 years, I wouldn't expect anything less from you!  I enjoyed the news clip and the excitement on the young girls face as she reeled in her first sturgeon!  Keep doing what your doing and don't be a stranger!!   Take care and stay safe!  Ozzie 
    • smurfy
      came back to civilization this past sunday. was nice tuesday when i got there and got alot of cabin stuff done. wed it rained all day but managed to do inside stuff that needed doing. thursday i finished up yard stuff and did a little hunting. friday finally got 2 grouse 😊 them gonna be good!!!!!!!! sat the kid and i fixed up deer stands but holy moly rockey with that snow was it wet in the woods. finished winterizing the cabin.   for me the weather wasnt cooperative to fish, so......... until there is ice the fish are safe from me!!!!!😜 the deer need to worry though!!!! sure would be nice if this snow melted, the ground needs to freeze up some.
    • Hawkem9
      Better fishing out weighs crappy weather for me.  We are leaning the October dates, seems a fair amount of the resorts on the E side close first week of October however.  I would imagine fish slide deeper on Vermillion as the water cools?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.