• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of Woods Oct 21-ish?

MinneapolisTransplant

I randomly have some weekdays off from work and no parenting requirements... would like to go up to Lake of the Woods/Rainy River and drop some lines. Was going to try to hop onto a charter boat as a +1, but apparently they're all shutting down mid-October this year. Anyone likely to be going out on the water sometime Oct 21-23 and maybe has an empty seat?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• DocBob
      By DocBob
      I’ve ice fished Lake of the Woods for 30 years.  I’ve recently purchased a cabin in Beaver Bay and I’m looking for a place to ice fish, somewhat nearby with 2 buddies.  We need to rent a fish house and I’m looking for suggestions.
    • smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      The season was short due to the border closure but Rainy Lake never disappoints. It was great to be back on the lake again.
    • ez fishing
      By ez fishing
      Bought new in Dec 2020 and still in Brand New Condition – I used 4 times. 
      Retail Value is $900.  I have $950+ invested including $100 installation fee and $50 in Frabill light accessories
      $750 – Serious Inquiries Only. 

Product description
      Frabill's premier ice shelter series combines durability and mobility with five-star luxury. With its patented Modular Seating System (MSS), Predator shelters can be configured to comfortably seat 2 to 3 anglers with generous headroom for standing, drilling holes and setting hooks. Its heavy-duty aluminum frame and rugged roto-molded base provide superior wind and weather protection.

• smalljaw
      By smalljaw
      After more than a year, thankfully we have been allowed to return to our Rainy Lake home.  Hopefully the travel bans will not be repeated.  Fall fishing is as good as it gets.  Walleye and bass are making their fall transition and are schooled up.  Find the right spot and let the party begin!  Thanks to Muskies for feeding my addiction while I was stuck in the U.S.  If you can get to Ontario, come now!

• jparrucci
      By jparrucci
      Does anyone have recommendations for a company that does cribbing for boathouses and also a tree cutting company.  With the water so low it should be easier than normal. I have two big old birch that have to go as well, they can be reached from the road 
    • MinneapolisTransplant
      By MinneapolisTransplant
      Living in SW Minneapolis, and have gotten back into fishing after many years away (guess COVID was good for something). I mostly fish in Bde Maka Ska (formerly Calhoun) and other urban lakes because I can get to 'em and get out on the water under pure human power (not opposed to electrics or real boats, just can't afford 'em). Most times out I'll get bass or northerns... but no dang walleye, despite all the fry that DNR pours in there. In fact, I've been living in Minnesota for 3 years now, and from the BWCA to the southern lakes, I have never gotten a walleye to bite, be it leech, jig, dropshot, or crankbait. Which tells me I need to quit trying on my own and get on the water with somebody who knows what they're doing.

I'm pretty flexible about timing; can even do some weekdays if we plan in advance. Would love to meet others who fish my local lakes, but at this point, I'll happily travel to learn the mysteries of the 'eyes. If you're looking for another partner or just like to spin yarns, I'll listen and bring along some brews and gas money for your troubles.

• AlanS
      By AlanS
      Hey all,

I am new here obviously, but I recently learned how many fish the DNR kill off every year with those surveys. I've never started a petition for anything before, but here's my attempt to get that to stop. https://www.change.org/KillingFishMN

This is not about the big lakes. To me it is the same as trying to manage deer by digging a pit in the woods to see what falls in and dies- Wisconsin pretty much gave it up and we should as well.

I know some DNR guy is going to get on here and say it is for consistent data, and that it only happens every few years on the smaller lakes. It should not happen at all. Every 10 years and the best fish in the lake might still be dead in that net, just to have a fancy survey. Heres what a survey should look like. https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeDetail.aspx?wbic=967200

If there are already petitions and groups out there trying to change this I would like to get involved,

A
    • the stick
      By the stick
      Looking for a Septic System installer. Lake Vermilion Area. Thanks for your help.
    • macgruber
      By macgruber
      Heading up this weekend to camp at onegume with the family- wife and two kids under 10, and the dog.  Just looking for tips on where fish might be found/best tactics this time of year.  I’ve never been to the area and would love to try for some walleye, but with kids, panfish might be the better option as patience tends to run a bit short at times.  I have a 16’ flat bottomed alumacraft, so won’t be venturing out on the big lake, just looking for a few ideas to keep the kids engaged and maybe have one small fish fry.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• CigarGuy
      By CigarGuy
      The tournament yesterday looked like the walleyes were tight lipped. Almost half of the 125 boats didn't weigh a fish. Looks like I'm not the only one struggling. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the results. I'll let someone else do it, if it's ok.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• SkunkedAgain
      Last year was the first time that I remember seeing any plowed roads out of the west end. I agree about chains making a huge difference on ATVs, but not if the snow is deep. Sleds ride on the snow. ATVs need to get down to the ice or packed snow.   It has been a while since I have heard of any guides setting out sleepers. If one did, they would need to do some good advertising to make it worth it.
    • leech~~
      And all of them the same size. Like they came right from Morey's!  😄
    • smurfy
      Hah, callem, only 14 fillets, 7 fish 🤣 and there's 2 of us here with a license.🤭
    • leech~~
      That looks like a pretty big haul!   Got any T.I.P  s   🤭
    • smurfy
      Another batch of Itasca county snot rockets thru the smoker.
    • JerkinLips
      First year I put it out I went 3 miles out from the closest plowed road.  Used the lake snowmobile trail for a few miles, then packed my own trail before dragging it out.  Slush could be a problem but you could do the same thing (pack a trail with your sled the night before and let it freeze overnight).  Portables are much easier to move, but not as comfortable as a wood house.   Vermilion Ice Conditions - heard there was still open water on Big Bay Thursday and Friday.  Not sure if I will go out 7 days from now.
    • opsirc
      Has anyone been out on lakes around duluth and how was the ice.
    • Mike89
      sorry for your loss...  prayers and thoughts to ya all...
    • Mtnman
      Happy Holidays Muskies !! I've been off sight for a long while. My Son died in July at 45 from a heat stroke while working in Knoxville Tn. I've had a hard time with that.  We did not make our fall trip to Rainy Lake, and the effects of it all are felt now.  How was the fall ?  A friend with a guide service there told me I didn't miss anything, and the lack of post tend to support that. We appreciate all post and fishing chatter shared on this forum and especially all you share. Best wishes for a great winter. CHEERS to all !!
    • Mike89
      that's what I thought but it threw me!!   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.