• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wondering if any of you ever fish the inland lakes throughout Voyageurs and if so which ones? I have fished the Locator chain, Ek and Net lakes. My favorite of those three is definitely Locator. Seems to have a lot of northern and I also caught a good sized largemouth. Had a rough day on Ek. Was fishing with light tackle because I’ve been told it’s a good crappie lake and was broken off once otherwise nothing. One small pike on Net. This is a picture of the bass from Locator. 

E8EA5BAD-802A-4A24-96BB-77289D0F89CF.jpeg

Edited by Fully Kraeusened

Used to go in and fish muskies in Shoepack. We flew in but I think they stopped that because of spiny water fleas. It's a long walk in!

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve heard that before about Shoepack. The guy who owned Ash Trail Lodge about 25 years ago told me that. It does look like a 4-5 mile walk. That would be rough with musky gear. How’s the scenery back there?

It's beautiful. And you can catch muskies all day although they are a bit small. 1 rod, a couple of small bucktails and your favorite surface plug along with release tools would be enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Capt Quicksteel,

How’s the trails—any chance of getting a canoe back there, or is that madness?

2 hours ago, Cpt Beefcheeks said:

Capt Quicksteel,

How’s the trails—any chance of getting a canoe back there, or is that madness?

The park service has them back there. Just need to see them for the key. Last time I used one of their boats it was $10. 

Those shoepack strain muskies are a blast to catch! Crescent Lake in Grand Marais is full of them...while they rarely grow over 10 pounds, they put up quite the fight on bass tackle. They are very pretty too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah......... getting a canoe back there definitely isn't worth the 10 bucks the Park charges you to use one of theirs!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you guys want a good laugh do a google video search. Type in “Shoepack musky attack”. Watch the 22 second video. Hope that’s not what happens to me. :D