• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Fully Kraeusened

Wondering if any of you ever fish the inland lakes throughout Voyageurs and if so which ones? I have fished the Locator chain, Ek and Net lakes. My favorite of those three is definitely Locator. Seems to have a lot of northern and I also caught a good sized largemouth. Had a rough day on Ek. Was fishing with light tackle because I’ve been told it’s a good crappie lake and was broken off once otherwise nothing. One small pike on Net. This is a picture of the bass from Locator. 

E8EA5BAD-802A-4A24-96BB-77289D0F89CF.jpeg

Edited by Fully Kraeusened

Capt. Quicksteel

Used to go in and fish muskies in Shoepack. We flew in but I think they stopped that because of spiny water fleas. It's a long walk in!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fully Kraeusened

I’ve heard that before about Shoepack. The guy who owned Ash Trail Lodge about 25 years ago told me that. It does look like a 4-5 mile walk. That would be rough with musky gear. How’s the scenery back there?

Capt. Quicksteel

It's beautiful. And you can catch muskies all day although they are a bit small. 1 rod, a couple of small bucktails and your favorite surface plug along with release tools would be enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fully Kraeusened

Sold!

Cpt Beefcheeks

Capt Quicksteel,

How’s the trails—any chance of getting a canoe back there, or is that madness?

Fully Kraeusened
2 hours ago, Cpt Beefcheeks said:

Capt Quicksteel,

How’s the trails—any chance of getting a canoe back there, or is that madness?

The park service has them back there. Just need to see them for the key. Last time I used one of their boats it was $10. 

JBMasterAngler

Those shoepack strain muskies are a blast to catch! Crescent Lake in Grand Marais is full of them...while they rarely grow over 10 pounds, they put up quite the fight on bass tackle. They are very pretty too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Capt. Quicksteel

Yeah......... getting a canoe back there definitely isn't worth the 10 bucks the Park charges you to use one of theirs!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fully Kraeusened

Cpt. Beefcheeks and I just reserved the Shoepack boats from the park service. 

Fully Kraeusened

If you guys want a good laugh do a google video search. Type in “Shoepack musky attack”. Watch the 22 second video. Hope that’s not what happens to me. :D 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Steve4848
      By Steve4848
      Howdy and thanks for taking the time to give some advice.  My family's renting a houseboat from Ebel's the 2nd week of June and would appreciate some advice on specific locations for northern pike/smallmouth bass on the Eastern end of Lake Kabetogama.  We'll have a 12 foot motorized boat with us so moving around won't be a problem.  Want to focus on the Eastern end of the lake to minimize a long haul with the houseboat.  

Any advice on specific bays, islands, or points would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve
    • Fully Kraeusened
      By Fully Kraeusened
      Hey guys. I’m new to this site. I’ll be visiting the park early June. While I have made several trips up there I’ll be bringing a friend who never has. He is a very experienced angler, but has yet to catch a walleye. A lot of his experience comes from using down riggers on Lake Michigan. He was asking about using them on a vacation this year and I had no answer for him. I can’t recall ever seeing anyone using that method in Voyageurs. Does anyone have a thought on this? I’d appreciate any advice. Want my buddy to have a great trip! 
      Tight lines!
      Fully Kraeusened
    • Dock Boy
      By Dock Boy
      Voyageur Park Lodge on Lake Kabetogama recently purchased brand new Ice Trek brand fish houses to rent on Lake Kabetogama.  The houses themselves are all aluminum with spray foam insulation, clean, warm and comfortable!  If your looking for something different from the usual LOW, Red experience check us out.  These are day use houses only and we will offer lodging at Voyageur Park Lodge.  We will only have one lodging unit open in the winter, so fishing parties will be the only guests at the resort, so lots of privacy and no other parties around.  Fish houses will be private out on the ice also! 
      We are excited to be the only angling houses on Lake Kabetogama!  If your looking for  something different let us know!
      Voyageur Park Lodge (Reef Runner Ice houses)
    • Kab Kid
      By Kab Kid
      Good opening weekend...great weather for opener and more boats than normal I would say.  Fishing was good, not great.  I'm sure others have differing opinions, but for us we found larger walleyes in 6-12 feet when pitching jigs.  You had to put up with the large number of small northern that must have been hungry!  Most of our walleyes came by way of a jig and minnow, in 30-35 ft of water...most of these 9-13" and went back, but every 4-5 fish was keepable and a fair number of sauger's were in the mix.  Problem was you could catch 3-5 fish in a spot and then you needed to move.  So, lots of boats running all day Saturday.  Saturday night/evening the bite improved and keeper fish were coming from 22-28' of water, again with a jig and minnow for us.  Sunday sunny and beautiful day to be on the water!  Similar patterns with the evening bite producing most of our keepers that day.

As far as scenery, you simply can't beat this area.  Kabetogama, Namakan, Ash River, and Crane lake is truly beautiful and the fishing is just bonus.  Listening to other fisherman, it seems the slot is frustrating some people...again lots of small fish (future fish) and many 20-22" walleyes but not many trophy's and eaters were tough to find.  All and all, great opener again on Kabetogama, hope everyone else had fun and a safe opening weekend.  Happy to talk fishing on Kabetogama, enjoy the season...

Kab Kid
      http://www.kabkid.com

• Slopfishin
      By Slopfishin
      I realize that walleye is kind up there, but was hoping there were some smallie fishermen here on the board that could give me some advice on the fall smallmouth fishing on Namakan, Sand Point and Crane.  I've been coming up there for many years to fish for smallies in the springtime but have never tried it there in the Fall.  Was thinking that I may try my hand at some fall smallmouth up there while they're trying to fatten up for the winter. 
      Right now I am planning on coming up at the end of September.  I'm hoping to find the fish in less than 20 feet of water.  Jigs, tubes, jerkbaits and topwater is what I'm hoping they will be biting on.  I know water temperature plays a huge role in the fish moving back shallow to feed so I'm hoping my timing is right.  Do you folks think it's worth the trouble around that time.  I really don't feel like hauling my boat 1,100 miles (I live in Kentucky) if I'm gonna be fishing the dead sea.  Would Rainy Lake be a better choice?
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
    • Nipper7272
      By Nipper7272
      Hello staying on Namakan later this week for first time with my wife a two boys. Any fishing tips would be helpful.
      Thanks
    • Kab Kid
      By Kab Kid
      Hello Fishing MN Family,
        As a resident of White Bear Lake, and fishing guide on Kabetogama I'm attempting to reach out and ask for a little help to raise awareness and some donations or prizes for White Bear Lake high school fishing club.  I understand it is in a "club phase" currently and hoping to get recognized as a team sport in the next few years.  They are hosting a banquet to raise money and prizes on May 1st, and reached out to some fishing people...I'm turning around and asking if anyone has tackle still in the package, access to hats, bags, or boxes in like new condition that they would be willing do donate.  We are looking for donations for these kids as prizes that they will earn through challenges and fishing activities this year.  If you can help I can get you a tax ID number for your donation.  Please let me know or I can give you information to contact the coach of this fishing club.  I'm a huge fan of getting this next generation on the water!
      My email: [email protected]
      www.kabkid.com
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• CaptJohnWis
      I was not going to go yesterday but the weather was too nice to stay home. Fished about 5 hours but only got 4 bass and one pike. Not one hit on my go-to jigs & plastic! I don't recall that ever happening over 5 hours. Got a few bass on surface lures (and the pike) and a few on cranks. Water was almost 6 degrees warmer than the day before. The nights finally stayed above the low 40s so that has to have helped.   I have been marking very few fish in water less than 30 feet. I rarely fish deeper than that.   Got desperate a few days ago and went down to Pelican. Not much better down there. A few crappie and dink pike and about 6 nice bass.   Headed north of Red Lake, Ontario in a week. Hope things are going better way up there.
    • Poutwhacker
      My wife and 2 Labs are boat camping on the east side of the Brule Narrows this week. We have been here dozens of times, but with late spring, I am wondering what patterns are working for the smallies and walleyes. Thanks 'Pout
    • Rick
      Field Bred English Springer Spaniels for me at PrairieRoseGundogs.com I have a finished male ready to rock this hunting season.
    • Wanderer
      I believe @Rick raises them.   But I don’t think he has a dual sport bike....
    • CigarGuy
      Got my personal best tonight for this lake....27.5"!  My son got a 24, we also got a 17, 20.5", 22". Same area as last night. Fun couple of nights on this beautiful lake.
    • leech~~
      Cobra, welcome back.  To bad no replies in almost 3 years to your inquiry.  Their beautiful dogs but there must not be many owners of them on here?  🤔   Like I have been asking for about 4 years if there are any Dual Sport bike owners on this site?  😉
    • Cobra
      I haven't been on the website in a long time so long delayed reaction. Sorry   I do have an English Pointer and I live in Longville. My old dog passed away a few weeks ago at almost 15 years old!!! I still have my young dog with special bloodlines. His father came from the last vial of Guard Rail semen. So to have a grandson of a Hall of Fame dog that died in the early 80's is very rare.  
    • Borch
      This weather is making it tough to get out and pinning down a consistent bite.  Wind had blown out if every imaginable direction in the past 5 days along with frequent storms keeping us off the lake.  With that said this us what I know.   Walleyes are still going at night on cranks in 5-8 fow.  During the day can be found on 16-25 fow and are biting on crawlers,  leeches and shiner minnows.   Perch are still on flats in 4-8 fow and you'll need to sort to get the nice ones.  Sunfish and crappies are still in the reeds in Allen's Bay and Kitchi.   Water temps have been up and down a lot this week. Currently we have 67-70 degrees in the spots I fished yesterday. 
    • eyeguy 54
      I was gonna lie and say lake george
    • CigarGuy
      Got out for a couple hours in Wakemup Bay tonight. Got 3, all too big, 21",22-1/2" and 24", had another get off about half way in. Was fun!  All on bigger leeches, 23' to 27' fow.