Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

5 posts in this topic

This summer I am looking to fish Lake Superior from shore this summer and coming fall. I have never fished a lake of this size of for these fish before. How can I make my trip successful? Any tips for beginners? What rod/reel should I get, and what line/rigs should I use? What should I look for when finding a spot to fish? Are there any hot spots I should try in the Duluth area?

Check the appropriate location forum on this board.  

You don't need anything fancy. Maybe a longer than normal spinning rod, so you can maximize your casting distance. Cleo's and kastmasters, that's all you need. Keep your rod tip high, and if you think your reeling in too fast, reel faster! Creek mouths are the go to spots...Lester, Talmadge, French, Sucker, Stewart Creeks, etc.

1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 1:16 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

You don't need anything fancy. Maybe a longer than normal spinning rod, so you can maximize your casting distance. Cleo's and kastmasters, that's all you need. Keep your rod tip high, and if you think your reeling in too fast, reel faster! Creek mouths are the go to spots...Lester, Talmadge, French, Sucker, Stewart Creeks, etc.

Yes sir! 8ft-9ft rods seem to work the best IMO.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Finesse Fishing
      By Finesse Fishing
      Walleye and Bass Fishing On Whitewater Lake - Video

• tmryan54
      By tmryan54
      Hey I just moved to New Ulm Minnesota and am in desperate need for some fishing locations.  Does anyone have any recommendations for locations I can fish from shore near New Ulm? 
    • feha
      By feha
      I am looking for a kayak anchor for my 10 foot sit on top kayak.  I chose the Scotty arm anchor mechanism that I'll mount on the back.  While researching it seemed simpler than an anchor trolley.  Im wondering what size/shape anchor will nail you to the floor?  This is mostly for lakes.  When I river fish in normally just drift.  The internet has people talking about ocean tides and rivers and massive lakes.  So, I'll ask you all.  What works for you best on MN water? Do you have the chain too with a release mechanism?  Obviously, less weight the better since it will off center.  Thanks.

• CastingCrankbaits
      By CastingCrankbaits
      Hello everyone! I'm wondering if you have seen or heard about Strawberry Blonde Hellcats. I came to hear about these lures last year working on Bigstone Lake in Ortonville, Mn. The story I heard was about the legendary fisherman Gerhart Block and how he used and also painted Hellcats to consistently reel in big fish. I seen there was a similar post in 2006, but not much info was given. Anyone have a pic of the original lure or one painted by block. I just bought a hellcat at an antique store. I'll post the pic of it, and hopefully some of you can give me some insight or some anecdotes.

• edgar307
      By edgar307
      A group of us fish using frozen Ciscoes for bait.  The last couple of year it has been a scramble to find these as our supplier for the last 30 years cannot get any.  This year we have not been able to find.  Any ideas?
    • bkbullhead
      By bkbullhead
      Price Reduced to $6,900!
      I am selling my aluminum 1999 Crestliner 1750 Sportfish with 90HP Mercury boat. I bought it brand new and it was well kept. The boat was sitting on my boat lift and the lake rose 14” overnight. It floated off the lift and sustained the following damage in the storm. The drivers windshield glass was broken, frame is still in good shape. Passenger window and middle window are installed now and in good shape. The starboard side of the boat sustained  scratches and a few minor dents. The port side sustained a couple minor dents and scratches. The back sustained a few scratches. The 90HP Mercury motor has scratches on the motor cover. The boat was in excellent condition and was valued at $12,000 prior to the storm.

The good news is, the boat is ready to go. It runs great. You can take it to the lake today and use it. It is still a very good boat and motor. The interior is still in excellent shape, no interior damage from the storm (except a couple of small scratches). 4 boat seats included. Pedestal seat for bow. Bow converts to a fishing platform. Swimming platform and ladder. Bimini is in excellent shape. Mechanically it is still in excellent shape. Floor boarding is very solid. All electronics are in excellent working order. 2 live wells. New bilge pump last year. The motor continues to run excellent, have never had an issue with it. The motor was professionally serviced every year. Power tilt. Comes with an EZ Loader trailer in excellent shape, that was bought new with the boat. New trailer bearings this year. Has an excellent starting battery. Has a transom saving bar for towing and tie down straps that are included. MinnKota Trolling Motor, in very good shape is included. 2 anchors included. This is an excellent boat for fishing and family fun. With the current all-purpose prop it tops out around 37 MPH. 
      I am selling the boat, motor, trailer, and trolling motor, as is for $6,900. Located in Mankato, MN.

Message me if interested.

• 1eyeReD
      By 1eyeReD
      Simple question and don't give up your hotspots:
      You think crappies will be reachable by shore yet? By this weekend? It's gonna be nice, but a little windy. I'm heading out with the kids and we'll be hitting a few shore spots on different lakes within the same latitudes as the twin cities,  but just outside of the cities. Just curious what you all think based on your findings or experience.

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 
    • TactcialFishing
      By TactcialFishing
      Welcome Anglers,

To those who love the sport of ice fishing. We all have a story or two of the BIG ONE that got away. Now we can show the big one that didn't get away! Introducing the Crappie Coffin, the only ice fishing net on the market today. Born out of the frustration of losing that big fish at the top of the hole. I decided to go to work on a solution to this problem. The Crappie Coffin is the result of this effort. Placed in the drilled ice hole, you drop your jig down through the center of the Crappie Coffin and fish as always. The hooked fish is reeled up and enters through the one way passage at the bottom and is then trapped within the net. Also your sonar transducer will work normally placed inside the unit. No more lost fish wrapped around your transducer. Once you use the Crappie Coffin you'll never want to fish without one.

http://www.tacticalfishing.net

• MplsOutdoors
      By MplsOutdoors
      Had an awesome day fishing down at the Ford dam. Another angler actually saw that I had walked upstream pretty far and he decided to give me a ride back in his boat, had a great time and ended getting into some crappie and bass. Awesome that there are people out there willing to do that, very rarely I'm able to fish from a boat!

• mnfathead
      Camping in Bear head state park this weekend, what can I expect for fishing?? looks decent, also bringing the tube for the kids, 10mph limit in the park so are there any decent public beaches in the area that we could run to for an afternoon of recreational boating, any info would be great, thanks guys!!
    • h8go4s
      Try this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/superior/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=36905&actid=34 And this: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5295334.pdf
    • Wanderer
      You can say that again.    I've only heard you can't stay in the same place for more than 2 weeks.  I've seen people camping on some way back forest service roads.  They didn't look like designated camp sites to me.   How long/how often do you plan to go?  Tent or camper?
    • monstermoose78
      The deer get used to the small game hunters
    • monstermoose78
      I know of a couple campsites that are free 2 are on a trout lakes I know of a couple campsites that are free 2 are on a trout lakes
    • monstermoose78
      Finn loves America!!
    • monstermoose78
      Good look pup
    • Troy Smutka
      7/24/17     Got my son and one of my daughters out with Grandpa Smutka on Waconia this afternoon (I have football practice every morning this week). We targeted panfish alongside a weedy reef. Small jig spinners (1/8 ounce VMC Mooneye Jig with a #2jig spinner and a 2" Powerbait Minnow) slow rolled over the weed tops caught tons of crappies and a bonus bass. A 1/16 ounce jig with a 1" Power Grub suspended 4 feet below a slip float caught crappies and sunfish, Caught numbers and some nice ones--beautiful weather and great time for the kids spent with Dad and Grandpa. Good luck, take a kid fishing, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • ANYFISH2
      I know back in the day, late 90's, people camped out along (approaches beside it)the forest road along Birch lake.  The road on the right, right before the dam on hwy 1 south of Ely.   I dont know all the legalities of thr forest there, they may or may not have been legal.
    • JB18
      Lets see if this works.. This is her at round lake.   I am not good at remember to take pics.