Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

5 posts in this topic

This summer I am looking to fish Lake Superior from shore this summer and coming fall. I have never fished a lake of this size of for these fish before. How can I make my trip successful? Any tips for beginners? What rod/reel should I get, and what line/rigs should I use? What should I look for when finding a spot to fish? Are there any hot spots I should try in the Duluth area?

Check the appropriate location forum on this board.  

You don't need anything fancy. Maybe a longer than normal spinning rod, so you can maximize your casting distance. Cleo's and kastmasters, that's all you need. Keep your rod tip high, and if you think your reeling in too fast, reel faster! Creek mouths are the go to spots...Lester, Talmadge, French, Sucker, Stewart Creeks, etc.

1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 1:16 PM, JBMasterAngler said:

You don't need anything fancy. Maybe a longer than normal spinning rod, so you can maximize your casting distance. Cleo's and kastmasters, that's all you need. Keep your rod tip high, and if you think your reeling in too fast, reel faster! Creek mouths are the go to spots...Lester, Talmadge, French, Sucker, Stewart Creeks, etc.

Yes sir! 8ft-9ft rods seem to work the best IMO.

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• edgar307
      By edgar307
      A group of us fish using frozen Ciscoes for bait.  The last couple of year it has been a scramble to find these as our supplier for the last 30 years cannot get any.  This year we have not been able to find.  Any ideas?
    • bkbullhead
      By bkbullhead
      Price Reduced to $6,900!
      I am selling my aluminum 1999 Crestliner 1750 Sportfish with 90HP Mercury boat. I bought it brand new and it was well kept. The boat was sitting on my boat lift and the lake rose 14” overnight. It floated off the lift and sustained the following damage in the storm. The drivers windshield glass was broken, frame is still in good shape. Passenger window and middle window are installed now and in good shape. The starboard side of the boat sustained  scratches and a few minor dents. The port side sustained a couple minor dents and scratches. The back sustained a few scratches. The 90HP Mercury motor has scratches on the motor cover. The boat was in excellent condition and was valued at $12,000 prior to the storm.

The good news is, the boat is ready to go. It runs great. You can take it to the lake today and use it. It is still a very good boat and motor. The interior is still in excellent shape, no interior damage from the storm (except a couple of small scratches). 4 boat seats included. Pedestal seat for bow. Bow converts to a fishing platform. Swimming platform and ladder. Bimini is in excellent shape. Mechanically it is still in excellent shape. Floor boarding is very solid. All electronics are in excellent working order. 2 live wells. New bilge pump last year. The motor continues to run excellent, have never had an issue with it. The motor was professionally serviced every year. Power tilt. Comes with an EZ Loader trailer in excellent shape, that was bought new with the boat. New trailer bearings this year. Has an excellent starting battery. Has a transom saving bar for towing and tie down straps that are included. MinnKota Trolling Motor, in very good shape is included. 2 anchors included. This is an excellent boat for fishing and family fun. With the current all-purpose prop it tops out around 37 MPH. 
      I am selling the boat, motor, trailer, and trolling motor, as is for $6,900. Located in Mankato, MN.

Message me if interested.

• 1eyeReD
      By 1eyeReD
      Simple question and don't give up your hotspots:
      You think crappies will be reachable by shore yet? By this weekend? It's gonna be nice, but a little windy. I'm heading out with the kids and we'll be hitting a few shore spots on different lakes within the same latitudes as the twin cities,  but just outside of the cities. Just curious what you all think based on your findings or experience.

• UpNorth Bassing
      By UpNorth Bassing
      ISO vexilar pm me what you got and price picture is preferred 
    • TactcialFishing
      By TactcialFishing
      Welcome Anglers,

To those who love the sport of ice fishing. We all have a story or two of the BIG ONE that got away. Now we can show the big one that didn't get away! Introducing the Crappie Coffin, the only ice fishing net on the market today. Born out of the frustration of losing that big fish at the top of the hole. I decided to go to work on a solution to this problem. The Crappie Coffin is the result of this effort. Placed in the drilled ice hole, you drop your jig down through the center of the Crappie Coffin and fish as always. The hooked fish is reeled up and enters through the one way passage at the bottom and is then trapped within the net. Also your sonar transducer will work normally placed inside the unit. No more lost fish wrapped around your transducer. Once you use the Crappie Coffin you'll never want to fish without one.

http://www.tacticalfishing.net

• MplsOutdoors
      By MplsOutdoors
      Had an awesome day fishing down at the Ford dam. Another angler actually saw that I had walked upstream pretty far and he decided to give me a ride back in his boat, had a great time and ended getting into some crappie and bass. Awesome that there are people out there willing to do that, very rarely I'm able to fish from a boat!

• mv61
      By mv61
      my family and I new to the area this summer we have been fishing the shore lines around maple lake and have done.  I am not familiar with the are a around here, we would like to get a few more times and ideas or how to advice would be appreciated, I also have a 4 year old we are just introducing to the sport  i don't have and am not really in fishing catfish, just to get out a bit more before things freeze up 
      thank you Mike in Crookston 
    • flagislanddan
      By flagislanddan
      This past week we have seen plenty of storms, rain and heat but, that has not stopped fishermen and women from getting fish in their live wells. 

On the MN side this past week we have seen some good fishing. Pulling orange, gold or pink spinners with crawlers or pulling raps in 18-24 feet south of Oak and Flag Island as well as Little Oak has been producing fish.

On the Ontario side pulling spinners with crawlers has been successful with the orange gold and pink colors due to fish feeding on crayfish. The depth has been between 24 and 27 feet in mud and on the breaks off of the reefs.

The Muskie bite has been really heating up with a few 50-53-inch fish caught this week and many 40+. Wind swept points and shallow areas with boulders tight to weeds have been producing fish using top water baits. A few reports of weedy bays producing as well.

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

• Iambjm
      By Iambjm
      This tournament is geared towards family fun and is put on to raise funds for the Itasca Chapter of Let's Go Fishing With Seniors.

Tourney cover sheet 2016.pdf
      2016 registration.pdf
    • Iambjm
    • leech~~
    • Rick G
      Big Watab lake "St Cloud area" between Cold Spring and St Joseph. Couple smaller bodies of water in the area as well.... Mn DNR lakefinder is helpfull. Couple small steams in this area too.
    • Rick G
      Lol..... u got me.... I know I look odd, but that is the way the good Lord made me..... That and my homley parents...lol
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have also heard the rumors that the DNR removed adult fish to plant into other lake years ago. I heard that a few locals had gone as far as to threaten to dynamite the Pike River Dam if that practice did not stop!  I have never heard any proof either way on that report. I assume that fry are planted into lakes that they cannot reproduce in to give fishermen in the area of those lakes the chance to fish for walleyes. Most lakes that the walleyes can reproduce in naturally usually do not require yearly planting to maintain a fishable walleye population. The DNR quit milking walleyes early because they had no demand for fry elsewhere in the state. They very seldom try to fill all of the egg batteries in the hatchery anyway. Cliff  
    • smurfy
      so i'm heading up next wed. will I need to bring my ice fishing stuff!!!!!!!!!!!