• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

John Schulz

Looking for some fun easy Shore fishing spots. New to fishing as an adult, only fished when I was 10-13 in scouts. From California having moved to Moorhead Oct 18, just got fishing license for my wife and I. 

Bought some poles and gear and just wondering if anyone can point me in the directions of some great spots to fish off shore, as we do not have a boat. 

Thank you. 

Edited by John Schulz
paceman

Dunton Locks on Lake Sallie has a fishing pier, and there will be a fishing pier into Little Detroit Lake. Not sure how good the fishing is as I have never fished there but they get used quite a bit so it must be OK. I have also seen quite a few folks shore fishing the Otter Tail river by Highway 10 just past Frazee. There is also a culvert on County Road 22 just past Sunlite Bar that gets some shore fishing. They usually fish the Little Floyd side.

John Schulz

@paceman Thank you for the info.

Last weekend to just drive around we went around Detroit lake clockwise, came up by Munson lake, Fox lake and Sallie lake and ended up at north end of Big Cormorant Lake.

Most places I saw were home/cabin fronts and so we simply stopped at North end of B.Cormorant across from Hooligans Lakside bar/grill to practice some casting with our new poles from the Public Access area. 

• 2 weeks later...
chickenlips

Several decent areas around Pelican Lake.  Bucks Mill, Pelican River between Buck's Mill and Pelican Lake.  Also a creek that comes in near marina on the Northwest end of Pelican Lake (use waders and fish at night for walleyes).  Big crappies at the right time of year at  Bridge on Hwy 59 at Dunvilla.  Haven't been in those areas for several years, but I bet they are still great shore fishing.  Waders are real helpful when shore fishing.  Good Luck.  Use tick protection.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • gimruis
      By gimruis
      There is a proposal to angling in the form of catch and release for bass year round in the works.  This would be in addition to the current regulations that allow the limited harvest of both smb and lmb from late May until the season closes.  I know that Michigan and Wisconsin both allow the specific targeting of bass for catch and release purposes before their traditional opening date.  Michigan has done it for years, and Wisconsin just started it last year.

I'm not real positive that this will pass, as I think MN is about a decade behind Wisconsin when it comes to these kinds of changes.
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      Just retired in December so I'll have a lot more time to fish. In addition to my normal walleye fishing I want to 1) learn to consistently find and catch/release larger sunfish and crappie after they spawn and 2) spend more time targeting bass, largemouth and smallmouth.
      I've been a longtime member here (2002) and will be posting more. I added info to my profile and "About me" section.
    • SergeantJas
      By SergeantJas
      I am new to ice fishing and the aitkin area.  I am wondering what is the best colors and even jigs for walleye and crappies in the aitkin area.   Its my 1st year of icexfishing.  I've always been into open water before.
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      The bass are starting to put their feed bag on! Check out this video below. We were near Park Rapids.

• simonmichel
      By simonmichel
      Hi, I already use squarebill cranking and am looking for a good normal Crankbait. What is the best one?
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • Salsballs93
      By Salsballs93
      Looking to bring my fly fishing into the metro. Anyone willing to share where they've gone, if at all?
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • Coloradokid55
      By Coloradokid55
      Headed to Brainerd Area July 9-11 coming from Colorado to visit friends. Well actually my girlfriend is I am tagging along to hopefully catch some fish with my flyrod And or jigs. Seeking advice on which lakes and tactics and anything else helpful to help maximize fishing  time in your state. I will have access to a canoe on Hubert Lake. Any and all advice would be much appreciated if anyone is into flyfishing Stillwater and would like to go or show me some pointers on your home waters That would be awesome thanks looking forward to any responses.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      Where did all these weeds come from? Makes fishing tough!
    • Muskies
      Finally able to get out. Took my daughter and boyfriend bass fishing for a few hours. Caught 13 and had many tail boils. Neither had caught a bass before so loads of fun. Using poppers, shallow diver crawfish and vibrex spinners. All caught in 4 feet or less casting rocky shorelines. Nothing large with the biggest 2 1/2 lbs. After found a few walleyes hanging out along deep weed lines in 15-18 feet. One 19” and the other 26”. Walleyes are transitioning out to deep water. Also mayfly hatch happened last weekend. Water temp at 68-69 degrees.
    • monstermoose78
      Ely is getting just as bad.
    • Kettle
      Yea the flies are horrific currently up here. Yesterday was really windy so panfishing was tough, out for walleye today 
    • Pzswenj
      Back from a week.  Tough fishing for us.  Scratched together enough for a fish meal, but it was hard work.  Tried just about everything between Taylors Island and Fraser Bay.  Huge mayfly hatch in Niles Bay early during the week.  Hit a few northern and some smallmouth.. .  Covered a lot of miles, fished hard, and it just never turned on for us...  Oh well...  Till next time...
    • Troy Smutka
      6/2/21     Catching lots of walleyes and bonus smallies on Mille Lacs. On shallow to mid-depth rocks the first few weeks, now deep gravel or mud when it is calm/clear and mid-depth rocks when it is windy and cloudy. Caught several of the elusive slot fish during the open period, kept and ate a few. Catch and release now and remember closed walleye fishing and no live bait July 1-15. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Troy Smutka
      6/16/21     Catching bass, pike, sunfish, and crappies on west Metro area lakes. Starting to see a few muskies as well. Water temps in the low to upper 70s depending on the lake. Still catching fish in shallow to mid-depth depending on the lake. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • ozzie
      Congrats!  Bummer that the dead fish was the difference especially if it was healthy and swimming when you entered the bay!  What weight did you have pre deductions and what was your fish/weight breakdown?  Curious what people were catching... Did you fish the same spots on tourney day as you did in prefishing? and if you don't mind sharing did you fish crosslake or make it out to whitefish?  Sorry for the questions but I always am interested on the where, how, and how many in this tourney but never stick around for the long drawn out awards handout...  
    • Rivergroup
      Got back yesterday.  Found some really nice bass and a lot of them, both large and small mouth in the 15"-17" range.  Found a couple of walleye, 14" and 15".  Had a great time as usual and the weather was calm for much of the time we were there.  Had most success with slip bobber and leeches/crawlers.  
    • BigVTim
      Headed up this afternoon for a solo weekend. Throwing for Musky but might pull some cranks or spinners and see what happens.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.