• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Royal_Dutchman

March 4, 2018:
We know everyone is waiting for River updates....We haven’t made the 120 miles round trip to International Falls to check yet. Grants Dad does drive that way once a week and when we know more we will let you know. We are hoping to have a report in a few weeks as there is quite a bit of ice on the river still.

March 11th, 2018:
   As of Wednesday there was no improvement on the river opening up. The temperatures have not been that warm with very little melting happening. Also the we have had some pretty cold nights in the single digits and low teens. This coming week looks like we should have warmer weather so hopefully it will get things moving.

• Thumbs Up 2
Royal_Dutchman

March 13th, 2018:
   I had seen reports of the river being open near Indus so I decided to check it out. This picture is 15 miles east of Birchdale Landing. This was the best spot to get a picture but I did see the end of open water 14.6 miles east of Birchdale. For those wondering the open water is about 39 miles to our docks. The temperature was around 36 today. Looks like things are moving in the right direction.
  Grant and I were thinking this year was going to be like 2014. I just looked at that years report and where the river is today is ahead of 2014 by 13 days (Birchdale was open for all boats April 8,2014). Hopefully this means by that last weekend in March Birchdale Landing will be open.

This is 15 miles east of Birchdale Landing:

03.13- 15 miles east of birchdale.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
Royal_Dutchman

March 14th, 2018:

Our friend Cathy shared this picture with us of the river being open 13 miles east of Birchdale

03.14  13 miles east of birchdale.jpg

Edited by Royal_Dutchman
  • Thumbs Up 3
Royal_Dutchman

March 18th, 2018:

Grant I just got back from checking the river.  The river is open 7.1 miles east of Birchdale Landing.  We took a picture of where the open water ended and at the Manitou Rapids.  We are suppose to stay in the low 30s for our high temps this coming week and the teens for lows.  We will share posts from Cathy as we get them and will probably check the river again wednesday or Thursday afternoon.

3.18 7.1 miles east of birchdale.JPG

3.18 Manitou Rapids.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1
Royal_Dutchman

March 22nd, 2018:
   We checked the river around 5:30pm and the temperature was 40 degrees.  We were surprised that the river is just about 1.5 miles east of Birchdale Landing.  You can see open water to the east (where the river bends) while standing on Birchdale Landing.  At Franz Jevene there is about 50 yards of shore ice.  We did see one boat out fishing west of those rapids (we are not sure where they put the boat in).  Rainy Lake tourism posted on their Facebook page that people have been walking down and fishing off shore at Kuttes Landing in Pelland (this access has not been plowed) 

3.21 looking east at Birchdale Landing.JPG

3.21 looking west at Franz Jevne.JPG

3.22 looking east at Franz Jevne.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2
Royal_Dutchman

March 24th, 2018:

Jason Groll Fishing Guide shared a video of open water at Birchdale this morning and said you can push a boat off the shore ice.  We will be checking the river later this afternoon to see if it opens up anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1
Royal_Dutchman

March 24th, 2018:
  There is open water about a mile west of Birchdale Landing.  There is shore ice at the landing in Birchdale but you are able to push a boat over it.  We did see a few boats out fishing when we stopped by before checking the landing in Pelland.  The Kuttes Landing in Pelland is open for all boats.  Pictures are of Birchdale Landing looking to the west and the open landing is Kuttes in Pelland.

3.24 Birchdale Landing.jpeg

3.24 kuttes landing.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember to let your trailer drain out b/4 moving up the ramp when loading.  Gonna be cool for the next week or so.  Every little bit helps.

• Thanks 3

also don't forget to give people a "lift" to their vehicles after you load out.  Helps keep landings moving.

Royal_Dutchman

March 26th, 2018:
   Today has been a mixture of snow and rain but it isn't stopping our guests from fishing.  This morning Cathy shared with us that the river is open 6 miles west of Birchdale.  We also saw one Facebook from Jason Groll Fishing Guide that the county was down there breaking open Birchdale Landing.  Thank you so much to the county!

• Rick changed the title to 2019 Spring Rainy River Conditions

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• SkunkedAgain
      By SkunkedAgain
      The Timberjay recently had a typical article about the Hatchery in operation in Pike Bay. It reminded me that they did not strip eggs last year due to Covid, and there was some discussion about how this would affect the lake's walleye population. I did a little digging last night into the annual growth of walleye in Vermilion and found that it takes somewhere in the 3-4 year range to reach eater-size range. That means that the "covid experiment" won't be real noticeable until the end of this season when walleye start reaching double-digits in length but most likely 2022 when those walleye are in the 10-14 inch range.

From the Lake Vermilion Fisheries Management Plan (https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fisheries/special_reports/183.pdf
      Besides abundance, differences between walleye captured in East and West Vermilion are most evident in age and size structure. Overall, walleye in West Vermilion tend to grow faster and live longer than walleye in the east basin. For example, by age-5, walleye captured in East Vermilion average about 16 inches compared to 18 inches in West Vermilion. Walleye on Lake Vermilion can survive to age-8 or older, however older walleye (age-7+) tend to be more abundant in West Vermilion.

I figure that Lake of the Woods is similar in latitude to Vermilion, so probably similar growth rates.

From the Lake Of The Woods section of the DNR website: (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/areas/fisheries/baudette/low_walleye.html#:~:text=Generally%2C walleye in Lake of,male walleye are sexually mature.
      Generally, walleye in Lake of the Woods reach 12 inches long when they are three years old. Male walleye start to mature when they are 12 inches long, 3 years old, but it is not until they are 16 inches long, 5 years old, that all male walleye are sexually mature. Male walleye longer than 24 inches are extremely rare.

Female walleye grow faster than male walleye, after they are three years old. Female walleye start to mature when they are 4 years old, 15 inches long, but all of them are not sexually mature until they are 7 years old, 20 inches long. Generally, female walleye which are 25 inches long are about 10 years old, and 30 inch females are in the range of 20 years old. The oldest Lake of the Woods walleye we have aged was a 23 year old female which was 30.3 inches long.
    • walleye345
      By walleye345
      Hello I am looking for a weight system to help me catch more fish.  I am torn between Snakebite Snaps and Offshore Snap Weights.  They are 2 very different clips. Anyone know anything about either?  Was looking to grab some here soon.  

• tbetts1000
      By tbetts1000
      What is the best chip option for Vermilion. I am getting a new Lowrance HDS and need some guidance.
    • walleye101
      By walleye101
      Are Minnesota anglers aware of legislation currently in progress to lower the statewide bag limit from six to four?  I sure don't hear much discussion about it. 
    • lakesareaoutdoors
      By lakesareaoutdoors
      Fished Lake of the Woods yesterday during this tropical heat wave.. I'll tell you what, if you're planning on fishing in these temps, bring backup gear for your essentials (Heat, Auger, etc). Doing this was key for us yesterday when the buddy heater hose was acting up due to the cold. We had a fun day! Check out the video below:

• whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      Just wondering when jigging for eyes in the winter, why is the standard to tip a jig with a minnow head and not the whole minnow or the minnow tail?  Would seem like a more natural presentation to tip with the tail and not the head.  Anyone experimented with this?
    • Ducksngeese21
      By Ducksngeese21
      Has anyone had any luck on the jefferson chain by cleveland or any of the lakes by Madison lake
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Can't seem to ever get a sled ride together anymore on the other side of the wall.
      Any guys with a sled and porty want to get together for a meetup and fish somewhere some weekend for the day or weekend if way up north?
      Crappies-Walleyes both? 
      Mill Lacs, Brainerd area................?   The more the merrier, safety in numbers helps if someone needs a pull or getting out of slush.
      Not a big plan. Meet at a lake. Stare at the lake map, mark a spot or spots on the gps and head out.
      Not really worried about a cookout, but we could just cuts into fishing time.  Bring our own lunch, bait and pop or? 
      Don't want to count out wheelers with portys but hope you can hang if its deep or slushy. 😕

Oh forget the Public service announcement: Portys must be fished at least 6' feet apart or more!. Wearing a mask is a good idea on a cold sled ride. No talking about Trump, Biden or God will also keep us safe from each other! 😆

So again, no big complicated plan. Meet up, check map, go fishing! 👍

• Duckhunt
      By Duckhunt
      House was new in spring 2018. Spray foamed top to bottom. Extremely Light weight, all aluminum construction 1300-1400 pounds. You can easily pull with atv. with little tongue weight. Foldable and removable bunk, we used a cot for 2nd bed.
      -6 catch covers w/ sleeves
      -Nuway furnace, needs no electricity to operate manually, also hooked up to thermostat
      -12V low amp draw circulating fans -30A 115v to 12VDC power converter/battery charger with gen/power hookup
      -battery box with 12VDC-115v inverter, and battery meter (newer 31 battery negotiable)
      - LED hole light and beverage holder above every hole
      -LED interior and porch lights
      -Tv/dvd combo on swing wall mount
      -Pioneer stereo with 4 speakers -Loose spare tire (white steel rim)
      -Window Air Conditioner
      This house can go all weekend on a single battery without a generator. No exterior damage anywhere, tires great. Looking to possibly upgrade. Located 20 miles north of Rapids. Thanks!

• Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BrianF
      Due to all the the weeds, I’ve heard the name ‘Garbage Bay’ given to the bay just West of Niles Point - which bay actually has a name, Laura Bay - but I’ve not heard of Garbage Point.  Maybe it’s associated with Garbage Bay?  Dunno for sure...
    • Skibo
      Skunked - I've always been Lowrance.  A friend suggested buying one smaller Humminbird to connect to the Minnkota.  I did just that with a 9" and have since upgraded to a 12", and have been very happy with the setup.  I prefer the Lowrance/Navionics for navigation, and the Humminbird with their Side Imaging for fishing.
    • SkunkedAgain
      That's a beautiful part of the lake. Great pictures.   Forgive my ignorance as this is more of a map question. Is "Garbage Point" right next to Niles Point? I've heard the name over the years and believe that it is right around there on the north side.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't remember what kind of survey they did in the fall, but whatever it was showed very favorable walleye populations on Vermilion.   I did a quick search, and they were netted not shocked out of the water:  http://timberjay.com/stories/walleye-boom-time,17521
    • DonkeyHodey
      You got it, bro!   The secret spot is not so secret...    Usually the beach is empty in April but it wasn't this past weekend (we planned to try Sun before lunch and there was no room, so we took early lunch, came back and thankfully then the prime beach spot was open!  YES!)   The high water is one thing;  there's at least enough standing room and I could barely fit a folding chair.  (but action was hot--we weren't sitting much at all!) The bigger issue was casting room.  80% of the time I spent fishing and 20% untangling line from the brush/trees.  🤣
    • BrianF
      East end of Waconda Bay.  Our dock points N towards Niles Point, which you can see in the background there.  Been eight years now since we bought; every year better than the last.   
    • gunner55
      Still there today, 2 boats in the water along with at least 2 vehicles. Usually they're done in 2-3 days so I'm not sure if the weather delayed them or if since it didn't happen last season they are taking more.
    • Sorgy
      Nice view, Where on the lake is that?
    • FishinCT
      I assume they also didn’t do the fall electrofishing survey to assess young of the year walleye?
    • Rick G
      Nice job @DonkeyHodey   The old "secret" spot produces again😏  Hard time finding a place to stand with the high water?  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.