• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

trophy walleyes

In my opinion, we see the largest number of big walleyes the first two weeks of June when the fish are shoreline related. Also the beginning of July when the fish make the transition to the reefs. We also see a few big girls in late October.<P>------------------<BR>Frank Walsh<BR>Baystore Camp resort<BR><A HREF="http://www.baystorecamp.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.baystorecamp.com</A>

Frank, I'm a little surprised to hear you say those two times. I know this was a tough spring for really piggy walleyes in the Rainy (the water didn't warm quite enough to get the really big girls in before the Forks opened), but I would think it's tough to argue that the spring season is the best time to catch a 10+, don't you think?<BR>I do admit that the two times you picked are great times to be on the water up there, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you there. I've caught some nice fish in the "late sand" time just before they head out to the mud and the rocks. Speaking of mud, they also catch a lot of biggies pulling plugs on the mud flats all summer long (after they leave the sand). I don't get too much of a thrill watching bent rods stuck to downrigger balls, though.<BR>I can't wait to get on the sand and later the rocks and catch some big ol' LOW 'eyes!<BR>Scoot

Spring and summer can be great, but my vote is late october into november. The sunday of deer opener weekend last fall we got 3 over 30". We were in 20' of water jigging in the gap, we were the only boat out, miserable weather but every 3 or 4 minutes we had another fish on, fall has it hands down!

In my opinion the BEST trophy walleye time at LOW is no doubt in late October...We (3 dads and 5 kids) have been going up there the last 5 years and have had a GREAT time. Check out the fish the boys caught 2 years ago (12, 10, 8, 8, and 9 Lbs)in a morning of fishing the rainy river. <A HREF="http://www.wheelerspoint.com" TARGET=_blank>www.wheelerspoint.com</A>

Scoot,<P>My comments regarding the first two weeks of June are based on the numbers of big fish I have seen brought in for mounting purposes.<P>Maybe it's related to the popularity of this time, and the sheer numbers of fishermen.<BR>Or with the greater number of fishermen, it could also be reflecting the ability for "Joe Average" to catch a big fish during this typically easier period.<P>My personal experience is that I generally catch the greatest nimber of large walleyes during the mid July "reef" period.<P>Also remember, that we are located in, and my comments are targeted to the Northwest Angle portion of the lake. Not the South Shore.

I suppose that one minor detail of location would factor in, wouldn't it?<BR>Are you usually drifing over the reefs with bottom bouncers and spinners? Slip bobbers? What else?<BR>Scoot

Scoot,<BR>As a general rule, I usually let depth decide. When fishing the (summer) reefs, at 25 feet or less, I pull a Telle spinner rig behind a one ounce bottom bouncer. After 25 feet, enough feeling is lost, where bottom bouncers become a constant snag problem. Then I'll definately switch to a ball jig.<BR>Of course other factors come into play such as wind, snags, size of the structure, cold fronts, etc. In the fall (September and October) I switch over to 100% jigging.<P>

I agree with fall fishing being a great time for a trohpy walleye, weather you take a picture and have a graphic done, or catch-n-release with a picture. Or keep it for a trohpy on your wall. <P>Best is always the most current of pictures. If you would like to see fall of 2000 pictures from the Rainy River near Clementson up to Birchdale check out our brag board at <A HREF="http://www.clementsonresort.com/fall.html" TARGET=_blank>www.clementsonresort.com/fall.html</A><P><P>------------------<BR><A HREF="http://www.clementsonresort.com" TARGET=_blank>www.clementsonresort.com</A>

there really are alot of times to catch a<BR>10 plus on lake of the woods.<P>early spring in the river<BR>reefs in july and august<BR>deep water pullin plugs july and august<BR>and my favorite late sept, all of oct and<BR>nov till the comes on the lake and the river<BR>again.<P>curt quesnell

I have to agree with Curt. Although I should add that in a year like we are having now, late ice, you have great chance at catching a "long" fish in the sand outside the gaps. Those big females really stack up out there. They are a lot of fun to catch but they sure don't weigh much after the spawn. Probably your best chance to catch one that would have been 10 plus if you would have caught it a month and a half earlier.ScottS<P>------------------<BR>ScottS<BR>[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the big fish situation.<BR>The opener up at the Angle is usually pretty quiet, as it is not too popular until we get closer to June, but the few parties out found it incredible for big fish. Virtually everyone I encountered, caught or saw fish caught, in the 26-30 inch range, with a few over 30.<BR>All big spawned out females. Tougher to catch fish small enough to keep.<P>Pretty good opener!

Every August we go to up to the East side of LOW, fishing the larger basin just north of Hanson Bay. We do quite well with bigger fish. Last year I caught eight fish over 25" in four days. My biggest was 28-3/4". When the wind blows we catch those big 'eyes right up in some unbelieveably shallow water on the mid lake reefs.<P>For my money, this mid-summer fishing is fantasic for big fish!!<p>[This message has been edited by jester (edited 05-21-2001).]