• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

TURKEY CONTEST "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"! Post please......

HSO Turkey Contest - Sign-up by April 1st. - Click Here.

EMOJI those posts you 'appreciate, please...IF YOU WANT MORE LIKE IT HERE..'

Have Fun!!!

Empty Well

Current Lake Pokegama Fishing Reports, Grand Rapids - Click Here.

I have been fishing walleyes on Pokegama for the past few summers with very little luck. Admittedly, I have not put much time in, but I plan to this summer. Can anyone provide any insights as to how to fish them, as well as where to fish them, both day and night? I notice that most posts highlight Winnie, Sugar, Split Hand etc., with little mention of Pokegama. Is it simply because it is very difficult to fish? confused.gif

Boedigheimer

Emptywell, the best advice I can give is get the latest map by lakemaster, its a great map. Next use good electronics that can accurately mark fish, weeds, baitfish, bottom transitions, etc. Then just run weedlines, points, humps, inside turns etc. in 14-30ft. until you find some 'life'. Often times you will look at several good spots before you find some fish. Wind usually helps a good bite to form, but isn't critical. Live-bait rigs and crankbaits account for a majority of the walleyes through the open water season. With a lake as diverse as Pokey, there are many ways to take fish, lots of room for experimenting. The night -bite is always a good option. Troll or cast these same areas, in 5-12ft., with more focus on cabbage on humps and flats, with crankbaits. Full moon seems to help the night bite but isnt critical. Hope this helps!! The lake can be a tough nut to crack but when its good, and its been good, its as good or better then any in the state.

stick

I just got a place this spring, but have been fishing it for the past 4 years with little success and echo the same thoughts. What is the bait(s) of choice. I have tried jigs and shiners, swimbaits, crawlers, leeches, etc. Any one presentation better than the other?

Empty Well

Boedigheimer,

I appreciate the insight. I recently purchased the new Lakemaster map. The lake looks completely different than my old Hot Spots map. Can you suggest a couple of day and night spots? Can you suggest any of the waypoints listed on the map?

Empty Well

Stick,

What part of the lake did you end up on?

stick

The east shore of Sherry's arm. I love that part of the lake. My brother is just up the shore, closer to stoney point. I see 'eyes all over in that area on my Aqua-Vu, but have extremely limited success catching them. Night raps have been the best. However, I have been thinking about stepping up my presentation speed to go for more of a reaction strike seeing as with the clear water the slow presentation allows for more scrutinization. Can anybody confirm my thoughts or go a little more in-depth regarding specific patterns and presentations?

Empty Well

Stick,

You don't happen to be a little over half way down Sherry's Arm are you? Does the property have it's own ramp? The reason I ask is, I fish that shoreline frequently and have seen a lot of activity at a little place that used to be buried by trees.

Prawley a shot in the dark, but thought it might be your place. grin.gif

Empty Well

Stick,

Do you happen to be going to Pokegama this coming weekend? If so, I have hired a guide for Sunday morning. Seems like we could both use the instruction. Do you happen to want to come along and split the cost? confused.gif

stick

Bingo on the property! That's us! My back can attest to the work (along with my brother, bro and sis in law, parents, etc.). I would love to join you, but have gobs of family coming for the weekend (relative humidity as I call it) and I wouldn't be in favor to slip away. Thanks for the offer, anyway. Stop by or at least yell to us next time. Also watch for me in a blue Lund Pro-V (dual console) with an Evinrude, or my brother in a green Pro-V (tiller) with a Merc (we're a family divided).

Keep on tryin'. I will keep on it, too. I'm focused on figuring out the 'eyes. My brother and I have talked about hiring a guide, too. Right now funds are REAL tight with the "upstart costs" to the cabin. Lovin' it, though.

By the way, how has that shoreline been to you?

Empty Well

Stick,

Its to bad you can't join me on Sunday.

The shoreline has been good. Mostly bass and pike, but a few walleye as well.

Empty Well

Stick,

If you change your mind on coming along Sunday am, call the guide at 218-326-8905. Tell him that I have an idea where your place is and we can pick you up on your dock.

We are going out from 6am til 10am. Are you sure you can't escape family during that time slot? I know when I get home at 10-10:30 my team will be just getin going.

Anyway, no access to this website after this message, so if you change your mind, call the guide. I told him you might be calling.

Empty Well

Stick - I forgot to mention that this guide is a bargain at $150 for 4 hours. Your 1/2 would be $75 and it includes EVERYTHING! You just need to bring a rainsuit.

stick

It was great to meet you Empty Well, and had a great time fishing with you. wink.gif Dan, thanks for everything, it was truly a pleasure fishing with you. We enjoyed your information and conversation and would love to fish together again. Is there any way to get emailed the pictures of the nice fish we caught?

Empty Well

Stick,

It was great fishing with you as well. We'll have to hook up again sometime.

Boedemheimer, thanks for a great day on the water. Your tips were invaluable.

I am still amazed that we caught walleye during the day on a sunny day to boot. And the smallmouth numbers and size were amazing!

Boedigheimer

Empty well and Stick, glad you had a good time. Those were some dandy bass, speaking of bass, there is a big bass tournament on Aug. 6th on Pokegama, the weigh-in should be pretty impressive. If you want to see some really big fish and maybe learn a trick or two about Pokey bass you might want to attend. The river is open for this tournament so there will probably be a 6lb. largemouth, not to mention smallys pushing 5lbs. brought in off the big lake. I have to stop thinking about it, I'm starting to hyperventilate.

Empty Well

Boedigheimer,

Where and when is the weigh-in? The boys and I will have to attend and cheer you on.

On a different note, I keep checking your website hoping to see some new pictures.

Empty Well

Boedigheimer:

I forgot to mention, over the 4th a buddy of mine caught an 11+ pounder on Sugar. He didn't have a camera so he asked a fisherman in the next boat if he had one and would take a picture for him. They exchanged email addresses and went on their way.

My buddy forwarded me the email containing the photos. The email was from Jason Geen!

Small world!

OSech

Empty Well and Stick. Glad to hear you found a few. I am coming up the first week of August.. Wondering if you will be up as well.

Empty Well

OSech,

I won't be up again until August week 2.

PokieGuy1331

Over the past couple of years I have been watching what the DNR has been doing to walleye stocking in Pokegama. last year I saw a noticeable difference in the number of walleyes caught and their size. At the Spotsmen Show last weekend I visited with a couple of GR guides and they had the following to say about Pokie:

* There are lots of eyes in Pokie and the problem with catching them is that the lake is full of smelt, small perch, and sunfish and they have more then enough to eat. The said that they see lots of eyes while spearing or with the aqua view but they are all fat and not very aggressive.

* They believe the walleyes follow the smelt into the deep holes during the summer and are suspended making them tough to catch.

* They feel the water clarity causes the fish to stay deeper and that you need to fish in 18-28' of water during late spring and early summer and go deeper after that.

* Because of the forage, Pokie is more of a big northern vs walleye lake.

I would be interested in hearing everyones thoughts.

hookset 31

I don't get to spend alot of time on the lake in the summer but i believe the walleyes do go deeper because of water clarity so a person has to fish low light times. I have C&R many nice sized eyes thru the ice and i think presentation has alot to do with this. location is also a big factor with catchin these fish also-i have fished spot repeatedly and only caught smaller fish as some spots will give up mostly bigger fish. i don't know why this happens but it does. Yes - the large eyes can be very fat and can also be very aggressive.

stick

I have spent the last number of seasons mostly on Pokie, and have had a long learning curve and have just started having minor success. I spend a lot of time "looking" with the camera, and see lots of eyes, but catch few. I have had some success on weed edges, and look forward to doing more. It seems that the people that frequent the lake end up catching a fair amount.

It is true that the fish are well fed and the most healthy I have ever seen. They are always stocky fish.

It is a great lake for most of MN's other great fish. Bass (largemouth and smallmouth), pike, panfish, perch, whitefish, tullibees, lake trout (incredibly elusive)).

JBMasterAngler

Are they going to continue to stock lakers? I've heard they might not because of mixed results. I've also heard that pokie is a potential candidate for muskie introduction. I've never fished pokie before, if I ever do I'd rather catch lakers than muskies.

stick

I heard rumblings about possibly putting Lakers back in there. I imagine they'd do fine with all the forage, but I'm assuming no natural reproduction.

I do believe that they already did stock Muskies as I'm sure someone else can confirm or deny.

troyfideldy

Throw some Muskies and more lakers in please. Was out the last weekend of ice trout season and was able to snag into a beast of a laker. The fish eventually won by shaking the hook. The lakers must be naturally reproducing some in the lake. Pokegama would make an amazing muskie lake with all the structure and cool water forage.

Pokegama can be a tough summer walleye lake with all the rec boat travel. Most of the bite is around the peak light situations. One does have to look in interesting places to find the walleyes. My bro was out night diving when he found a big school of eyes for me. Thing was getting these eyes to bite.

Who wants muskies and more lakers?

I Do

Colter

Hi there,

I thought I would add some to this conversation. Pokegama is a lake that doesn't get fished much and those that fish it consistently, like myself, find the walleye fishing to be very good. It does change like all other lakes throughout the season and I agree that the fish move deep as the water warms. Trolling crankbaits during the dog days of summer will produce good numbers of fish. Then if your up for night fishing, the night bite is consistent when the day bite slows.

The DNR is doing a great job in filling it with fish. They are working on an aggressive stocking plan for a ten year period, which will only increase the fishing success on Pokegama.

I think adding muskies or more lakers to the lake is a good options, but understand that the muskies would become difficult to catch with the thermocline.

See you on the water!

troyfideldy

Are muskies and Lakers easy to catch?

gkl

I have fished the lake alot over the last 6 summers. Like stick I had a long learning curve for the 'eyes but last summer was a breakthrough year. With some tips from guides that know the lake (especially Dan with Pokegama guide service) and LOTS of trial and error, I had consistent day time success early in the season and outstanding success trolling cranks at night mid and late summer and early fall. For the first time I regulaly ran into eaters but still found lots in the 5-8lb range. I think the enhanced stocking is really paying off. Smallmouth fishing can be amazing too.

stick

I can't believe I didn't mention what ended my LOOONNNNGGG learning curve. Like gkl says, Dan with Pokegama Guide Service was the answer. My brother and I went out with him, and he was a great guide that helped explain his experiences and taught us how to catch eyes. It has given us the confidence to fish during the day and catch eyes.

Well worth the money.

stick

I can't believe I didn't mention what ended my LOOONNNNGGG learning curve. Like gkl says, Dan with Pokegama Guide Service was the answer. My brother and I went out with him, and he was a great guide that helped explain his experiences and taught us how to catch eyes. It has given us the confidence to fish during the day and catch eyes.

Well worth the money.