• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's the best Anchor for river fishing?

I'm pretty new to river fishing and plan on doing alot more of it this summer. I would like to know our expert opinions on what anchor works best for anchoring in rivers, specificly for fishing wingdams. I own a Digger anchor that I purchased awile ago. It works great for lakes but I see most river guys are using Richter anchors. Would you recommend I purchase a Richter anchor for the river? Thanks!

2 disc brake rotors welded between a four foot length of 3/8 link chain should just about do it. If the wter is high, use one with four rotors. lol

2 of the better guides on pool 4 use the Water Spike anchor. I think they have the biggest model of the 3 that are made.

• 2 weeks later...

I FAVOR DANFORTHS WHITH A FEW FEET OF CHAIN ON BOTH MY LITTLE FISHING BOAT AND HOUSEBOAT. THE ANCHOR ITSELF IS FAIRLY LIGHT AND IVE NEVER LOST ONE TO A SNAG. THEY HAVE QUITE GOOD HOLDING POWER I THINK MY 35 POUNDERS ARE RATED @ 4000 POUNDS APIECE HOLDING POWER (KEEP IN MIND THE BOAT WAYS 18,000 LBS)AND HAVE ONLY SLIPED ONCE ON ME IN VERY FAST CURRENT AND SHALE BOTTOM

Yes, most of the Pros are using Richters and I suggest at least a 25 lber, you will have no slipping at all, get their System 3, $160.00 or so, or just the anchor for about $70.00. If up North in places that have shield/shale/shelf rock the 25lb will hold on reefs much better without pulling off. Shop there Online site. GLuck