• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Studded or non-studded boots

ScottND

I think it depends on where you fish and also whose boots you are wearing. I fished for a long time with Hodgman felts. They worked great until I flat wore them out. Next was a pair of Chota STL Plus with screw in studs. I thought I would like the quick lace up feature and the replaceable studs...wrong by two there. The laces broke almost immediately and the studs wore to a nub in no time. It got worse with those boots but don't need to go into the long story here. I have a pair of Simms Pro Guides now. They are the studded Aqua-stealth sole. If I were to go back and buy a new pair I'd definitely go with the Aqua-stealth but would opt away from the studs. The only place I feel they give me a great advantage is on wet logs. When I fish the north shore streams those studs about put me in the river. The rock is smooooooooth rock and the studs just skate across it (and leave little scrapes which I don't care for either). I spend a lot of time on the Brule and don't feel that I get much advantage from studs there either. I've heard that the studs are great on really slimy rock but I apparently haven't run into that stuff yet.

Lota Lota...

In most cases studs are probably not needed. And then too, there are studs that are TOO hard and they'll slip and slide right across rocks. If you choose studs look carefully at what they are made of. I'll bet you will be happier with good felts on some comfortable boots. Get a good wading staff and never leave shore without it!

I've used both straight felt soles and studded AquaStealth soles. Now I'd really like to try a pair of felt soled studded boots. Felt is superb on surfaces like broken limestone or cobble rock. Studs do dig in on slimy rocks. The AquaStealth-type sole with studs is patently superior in the winter when you might be dealing with ice shelves or walking along a snowy bank (Once felt is wet, snow accumulates on it fast enough to make you a few inches taller in a hurry). Regarding the Brule, I think the advantage on those wet clay trails definitely goes to the studded AquaStealth. Felts are like skis on that stuff! Nearly as important as the sole is the fit of the upper. Good ankle support will make any type of sole work better.

Brands are always an individual choice, but I've never been disappointed in any Simms product.

Quote:

Now I'd really like to try a pair of felt soled studded boots.

I own a pair of the Patagonia Beefy Wading Shoes; they are felt soled with studs (tungsten carbide). They updated their model line this year to the Riverwalker name. One model includes a sticky rubber sole. I would like to try those!

I've had great success with the felt soles with studs. You get the best of both worlds with traction on those slippery rocks. They only drawback to a felt sole is when you are in mud or clay, the felt gets clogged at times. That's a situation when the rubber soles would come in handy. They would probably be more appropriate for wading a shoreline on lakes...

I have a pair of Korkers and usually use the studed felt or hiking soles. I find that I can stand on rocks better with the studs than plain felt. On the slippery clay along parts of the Brule I like using the hiking soles.

Good point about felts on mud!! For those who haven't already learned the hard way- DON'T step on a muddy bank or attempt to hike across mud with felts. You'll go on your butt before you can blink. I must say that in decades of wading I have only used studs a few times. With good felts, using a staff and paying attention I have done okay. There are some places in MT where the rocks are like grease. You just wade slowly and carefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone out there tried Water Skeeter boots?

They have a pair with rubber lugs around the outer perimiter and felt with studs in the middle of the sole.

Seems like a good idea.

Any thoughts?

My 2 cents, I only use felt soles, they just feel more predictable. I use cabelas boots with velcro fasteners they work great, come on and off quick and fit my fat feet well!