• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Off-Road Travel/Warroad

O.K. Guys, I'll be up Thursday night, 03/09. What's the scoop...Will my truck with chains cut it anymore or do I have to drag the sleds up to move around off the road? Will be out in the bay somewhere in front of the river, or else springsteel area. Sounds like travel on Red is getting tough too. Are they Bitin'????? shocked.gif]

"I spend most of my life fishing, the rest I just waste."

I just got back from Arnesens.

If there isnt a plowed road, you wont be getting around in a pickup.

Some guy tried to leave the road that was plowed out to 16 mile on Saturday and spent the better part of the day digging it out. Someone ended up having to plow a road to the guys truck to get him out.

Fishing was pretty poor. We had 6 people in a house yesterday on 16 mile and we didnt get a single bite until after 1pm. From 1 to 3 we picked up some fish, but we kept some that were awfully marginal.

Thanks BLB. If I heard somebody correctly they got 24" of snow since 03/01 to now and more expected? I guess sleds are in order! Pike action anybody?

I can tell you what I found on Saturday when I was out.What I did was loaded the snowmobile with the saddlebags with my ice fishing gear and headed out to morris point area on sled.I left out of my house just west of Warroad and rode to the river and then out to 5 mile reef and on to Rocky point.From here I rode about 2 miles off shore to morris and went fishing.Total trip time was 20 minutes and was one of the most awesome trips across the lake.I road the bomber trail to 5 mile and that was it.The average snow base on the lake would be close to 2 feet of snow.Average!Like one persom said about 16 mile reef.If you get off the road...bring a shovel and be prepared to use it.When I rode by the roads by Zipple and Lond Point,I didn't hardly see anyone off the roads.Everyone was parked on the roads and dragging the equiptment to "their spot".Some vehicles that I did see off the roads had plows on the front.Even some of the 4-wheel drive atvs are stuggling a little.Snow conditions for traveling on sled on the big pond are awesome.I would say play it safe and bring the sled.It may suck on the gas mileage and worring about a trailer in tow but better safe than sorry. just my 2 cents.

ps only saw 4 fish on Saurday from 12:30 to 4:30 in 3 houses in 25 fow. Sunday was much better from what I heard.