• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have fished the redwing and pepin area a few times the last 2 years and would like to get to know the system a little better. Could any of you recommend a guide to go with in that area?

Any thoughts would be great.

Click on the TSJigs in my signature and I 'll send you a name/phone no.

ZFish Pepin you might want to check out. He lives in Lake City and fished Pool 4 for many years. Hope this helps, and have fun.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Evert's Resort.

They have a list of TOP NOTCH guides that work out of there.

Also;

Make sure your guide is properly licensed!!!!!

There are alot of "bogus" guides out there on the water, that are not real guides, they just have a sticker that says so!!!!

Quote:

Go to Evert's Resort.

They have a list of TOP NOTCH guides that work out of there.

Also;

Make sure your guide is properly licensed!!!!!

There are alot of "bogus" guides out there on the water, that are not real guides, they just have a sticker that says so!!!!

Amen.

It seems that all the good guides are booked. Anyone have any advice for someone who has never been on the river?

Fishhead....

This river thing is interesting, but you can do a "first run" without much help right now. Just follow the boats. Seriously.

I'd recommend though that you put in at Everts and spend a minute or two chatting in the bait shop there. They'll have maps and suggestions. They are not going to lead you astray....this is their livelihood and your coming back is important to them.

In all seriousness, get a map well before you hit the water and study the details a little, not so much to locate fish but to have an understanding of what is under you.

A simple guideline to follow is if you stay in the deeper channel areas with decent current on go witha jig/plastic or jig/minnow, or a bucktail or a blade bait like a sonar you're most likely to find sauger, sturgeon, paddlefish, catfish. Expect to have to use 1/4 and up in jig weights. 3/8's and 1/2's will be common now with the additional current. If you look to the sandier shallow shorelines or shellbeds or the quieter waters between the wing dams you'll find walleyes if you scale down in size and pitch ringworms [ 1/16 to 1/8 head and firecracker, fire-n-ice, pro blue, purple white or chartreuse tail worms].

Another benefit of studying a map ahead of time is to get a general idea of where the wing dams are located. DON'T GO OVER THESE. Fish between them yes, but stay off the tops unless you and the banker are on good terms for outboard repair.

If you put in at Everts, take a hard right whenyou start out and stay to the right. You'll find the boats without any trouble and once you are in the party, do as they do and you'll soon be an old pro. Relax and have fun. It won't take long to get the hang of things being done and where some of the hot spots are. With subsequent trips you can investigate new waters and techniques.

Guides are super great, yes. But there are an awful lot of anglers who have never been to Red Wing before and have left with that "fish of a lifetime". I have fished there since the mid sixties and have seen that happen many times. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Red Wing is not a doable trip.

Thanks Tom. I'll give it a go. Is it a zoo there on weekdays too? Or just on weekends?

Weekdays can be busy, but the weekends are nuts. I'd try for the weekday shot....Tues,Weds, Thurs.

Nice Post Tom. You instilled some confidence in the reader. Even in a bass guy like me looking for that 10lb walter.

I agree about the weekends. It's chaos down there, but it's still fun and if someone catches one in front of you and you're not catching any, see what they are using and mimic them.

I'll be out there this Sat - it's going to be cold though 39 for a high. Brr.

A guide only needs a license on federal or border waters. For example, for someone to be a "legit" guide on Pool 4, you would need to have a Coast Guard certification amongst a few other odds and ends.

A guiding license is not something that is available to the general public, unless of course, you want to become a guide. smirk.gif

Finding a guide that will teach someone about the river, maybe a little tough. Some would there just take you fishing. mainly for repeat trips. But some also anjoy teaching you interested more in good friendships.

Quote:

But there are an awful lot of anglers who have never been to Red Wing before and have left with that "fish of a lifetime".

Tom nailed it when he said that! I went last spring for my maiden trip and got a 14# walleye.... only after I had no action on Ringworms and switched over to a blue/silver Rapala X-rap. I'm excited to get back down there!