• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Has any one tried flys much on pool 2? I used to fish fly tackle every where ide fish spining but on the Miss. It just doesent seem to work very well. Ide be courious if any one else's experiences have been different

The smallmouth fishing can be quite good. The trick is to locate the schools chasing the minnows and then hit them with Dahlberg divers or clouser minnow flies. Usually there are white bass mixed in. You will be surprised how a 4# SMB will take you down to the backing on the reel.

thanks Bill Ive been useing wooly buggers drifted up and down stream. keep getting quill back and drum. I assume ur fishing slack water as thats the only place i really see alot of schools being hearded. I think ill give it some more work this year with the minnow flys.

Quillbacks, you say? I've been trying to catch one of these strange fish for years. Would you mind offering some info on specific location or time of year on your catches? And were they fair-hooked? ~hogsucker

below the dam waiding the pool on the NW side of the island I fishing a wolly bugger nymph style (fair hooked). in early summer. Ive also com across them them below dog beach trolling cranks. i think they hit it and got hooked outside the mouth

What's a quilback? Are those the spiny minnow grown up? I've caught some mooneyes before. It's like a shiner on roids.

When you are fly fishing below the Ford dam, do you pick up smallies as well? And, what flies are you using? I just seem to get white bass.

i really have not done it alot the results have not been great for me (sadly since fly fishing is my 1st choice). I usually use bead haed wolly buggers, i think i also tried a minno fly and some drys b4 my fly box got stolen but didnt get anything much around the dam. no smallies on the fly yet. I intend to rebuld my fly collection this year and put more effort into it ( i got distracted by all the other productive methods(( really who steals a box of flys and then takes a spinning rod to go with them)) If they stole just fly gear or spinning at least i could think it was going to be used. tangent if i get a smallie onthe fly i'll post it

OK - that's what a quillback is. I think I've caught some on a hunk o worm before. Thanks for the link.

I never made it to Pool 2. We went to Pool 4. It was slow there fishing wise and busy fisherman wise, but its always fun to go fishing and have that chance at a hog walter.

WOW THOSE REALLY DO LOOK ALIKE.I ALWAYS LKED THAT SITE. KEEP US POSTED IF U FIND THAT INFO

L8R

Well I made it out to Pool 2 this past Sat for a trial run of my pimped out jon boat. 70lbs of thrust on a 14' jon boat is exciting! I think I can pull a tuber now grin.gif The added weight of the batteries and decks make it a lil slower, but the comfort of fishing on a platform makes up for it.

And now for the report..... I caught a high fin carp sucker quillback fish thing, er whatever it was (it's a carp with a shark type fin) on a ringie 1/8oz in the eye. confused.gif I guess it wanted a closer look smirk.gif

EXCELLENT. A QUILLBACK SHARK HIGH SUCKER YOU SAY... SOUNDS NICE TO BE OUT. WHAT DID U USE FOR DECKING? I TRIED THAT FOR YEARS OM MY ALUMCRAFT BUT IT EVENTALLY GOT WATERLOGGED AND VERY HEAVY (PLYWOOD). i LOVE HAVEING THE SPEED BACK BUT I REALLY MISS THE FLAT PLATFORM iM TOYING WITH GETTING A FEW SHEETS OF ALUM. AND TRYING THAT, OR MAYBE SOME KIND OF COMPOSITE. HAVE U EVER TRIED SLUGGOS ONTHE RIVER? i HAVENT USED THEM IN YEARS BUT HAD GOOD LUCK ON LAKES WITH THEM. i'M IMAGINING FISHING ON A UPSTREAM DRIFT LIKE U WOULD A FLY

LOL - high fin carp fish thing I guess. smirk.gif

I used 1/2" 5 layer MDO plywood, then Moby1 works for some concreate sealant company and sealed it then put silica sand in there for grip. It's kinda rubbery with grit so I won't fall, well not slip.

However, that added some weight along with a 3 battery system, but when fishing it's the cats meow. Well for a lil jon boat it is. My buddy loves the back deck. Before he stood on the bench seat. I also re-wired everything. I pretty much gutted it to a shell and built it back up.

Discount Steel could help with the decks. They are pricey though if you have them make the bends and cuts. They did some diamond plates for me on lil jon. I'll show when you are living down there this spring.

NEAT, IVE GOT SOME INDUSTRIAL EPOXY WITH GRIP STUFF IN IT I WAS GOING TO USE ON MY OLD HOUSE BOATS DECK, BUT NEVER DID. I WAS DEBATING JUST USING IT ON THE FISHING BOAT IF I DO DECIED TO REDECK IT. I CHECKED WITH DISCOUNT STEEL A FEW YEARS BACK ABOUT THE ALUM THING AND I THINK THEY SD I COULD GET THE MATERIAL FOR UNDER $150 DEPENDING ON GAUGE, BUT I DIDNT GET A QUOAT FOR CUTTING IT (THERES ONLY ONE PIECE THAT NEEDS A CURVE. I GUESS I COULD JIG SAW IT BUT IF IM GOING TO SPEND THE MONEY I MIGHT AS WELL GET IT FINISHED NICE.

WHEN MINE WAS DECKED B4 I USED THE BACK ALMOST ALL THE TIME SINCE I USUALLY ANCHOR UP STREAM OF MY TARGET. sO MUCH SO THAT IM ALSO THINKING OF ADDING A PLATFORM OVER THE OUT BOARD, TO SIT ON OR STAND (STANDING WOULD BE TIPPY BUT ITS NEVER BOTHERED ME MUCH((TOURISTS SEEM TO GET A KICK OUT OF IT WHEN I USED TO MOTER UP THE RAPIDS UNDERTAYLOR FALLS AND HAVE 2 PEOPLE FLY FISHING WHILE STANDING UP, RGHT NEXT TO THE KAYAKS, GUESS IM A BIT CRAZY)) SURE DO MISS THE FLAT DECK THOUGH

The price of alum is cheap, but if they do the bends and cuts then there's a whole in your wallet. But it does look nice.

See ya on the water!

SEE YA, OUT THERE. I THINK YOUVE GOT ME CONVINCED I SHOULD REDECK SOME TIME THIS YEAR

OK I'll share any tips I learned along the way. I made plenty of mistakes, but that's how I learned.

• 1 year later...

Interesting posts...

The in-laws live on the Miss in St. Paul, been thinking about bringing some rods down next week when I visit. I was looking at fishing pike island around the Park.

With all the melt and debris in the river right now, do you think it's productive, or should I hold off until flows go down a little and the river clears up a bit?

I've fished the backwaters on the st paul side of the river over by crosby and down by lilydale a lot when I was younger, but never on the fly, and never during ice out.

just looking for some advice...

thanks!

theres probably a crappy bite in the marina now. as for the island i'm not too sure..... it could be producing but then again it may still be a bit early. the cross channel has been good to me in cold water b4, no promises though. If you try it let us know how u do. once again i think ur best shot would in the harbor.

Ebass I solved it I just replaced the boat connected to the deck... so much easyer. now i'll be the guy inthe 17 ft blue fin fish n ski or as always the houseboat that bears my nick as a name

You replaced the entire boat and not just the decking? That would make things easier grin.gif

thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on the flows from the ACOE guage, and determine where to go. If the river is blown out from all the rain, I'll either hit the harbor, or bag it all together. I'll post if I end up fishing.