• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

16 to NWA trail

Heading up soon and wondering if anyone has gone cross country on sleds from 16 mile to hitch up with the Warroad to NW Angle trail. Want to know if there is any jagged ice between there or if it is relatively smooth. Also where does the trail head start out of Warroad in case we go that route? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

The trail starts out of Springsteel but you should be able to pick it up pretty easy out of Warroad. Never tried to tie in from 16 mile, but I know there are a couple of breakers that the trail goes through. You shouldn't have any trouble getting across them, just be careful not to hit one in flat light conditions.

If you head out of Springsteel you'll be able to hook a staked trail all the way out to 16. The snowmobile trail from Warroad goes by the south tip of Buffalo. You will cross a breaker just a little past Buffalo, then right after that breaker you will be able to see stakes heading off to your right. If you follow those stakes they will take you right to the 16. It would be great if you'd throw a report when you get back, curious to see how it's been as of late. It's a real nice ride from Warroad or Springsteel.

Reefer, how are you doing? Hope everything is going good. Shoot me an e-mail sometime.

Thanks for the replies. We plan on going to the angle for one day of fishing and thought it would be quicker to go out of Babblers and sled to 16 and then hook up with the trail to the angle as opposed to going out of Wheelers or Springsteel. Is that being foolish? I will certainly post once we get back.

If the lake is rough riding, it may make sense to leave from Springsteel. It can be a butt kicker sometimes from Rocky to the trail.

Isn't there a trail from Baudett to nwa as well?I would say to stop at the bait store and aske for local trail maps.I know there used to be a trail there .That would put 16 mile reef a little south of that trail and east of the trail from Warroad to nwa.I rode from Warroad to Morris on Saturday and the lake was awesome to ride.I only found one ridge that I didn't see and bucketed me a little bit.There is so much snow on the lake that even small ice ridges and rough ice were hardly noticeable.It was so nice cutting the virgin snow and not worrying about ruff ice.It took me 20 minutes to get from Warroad to Morris.And yes I had my saddlebags on and and a fishing rod holder with a seat in it over my shoulder.I left the portable at home since I was going to be in a perm house at Morris.Only saw 4 fish in 3 houses there from 12:30 to 4:30 Just my 2 cents

Well we got back on Sunday and the fishing was slow for the most part. We fished 16 mile on Friday with just a couple of fish for 5 guys and a fair amount of moving around. Fished Arnesons on the way back and a couple of our guys got a hot hole and picked up 8 fish or so. We had a nice fish fry. Saturday we started Babblers on sleds and went up to the angle. It was smooth sailing across the lake with no problems with pressure ridges or slush. We hooked up with the trail at American Point (I think) on the east side of Garden. We fished in a group of houses on the south west side of Oak and 3 of us kept 2 fish each. Our other 2 guys stayed down at Arnesons and they only kept 2 fish. From people we talked to the bite was slow all over on Saturday. We had a great trip and I hope I can get up one more time.