• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Zipple Bay Reports

Just wondering if anybodys been out fishing the Zipple Bay area, planning on one more trip, and debating if should fish there, or bring up portables, and do a little ReCon!! Thanks, The Bumble

fished Zipple on 2/27 and 2/28 in about 28 fow.

2/27:caught 2 saugers 1 walleye 2 perch 2 pike in about 12 fow in morning hours.

2/28:caught 1 sauger 4 walleyes

it doesn't sound like the bite is to good up here yet. six hours is along ride for a couple of fish. maybe wait until april

Hey there Happy, such a fitting name laugh.giflaugh.gif, anyway, what do you think, should a guy just wait till April, and try it in the river, or chance it the weekend of the 18th????Or should we just try it somewhere else??? We could always bring up the wheelers, and blast out somewhere, and stay in the sleeper, or are you thinkin' about Trout Yet?? The Bumble

Will be coming up to Zippel in about two weeks. Can anybody tell me what the current ice/snow conditions are like. Any slushsy stuff out there or can we get off the plowed road pretty good with a 4-wheeler? Will we need an extension for the auger?

Thanks in advance.

As of last Tues I would say a 4 wheeler will be tough to get around with. They got more snow after we left. That sure doesn't mean that in two weeks you won't be able to get where you want though.

I plan on going up to lake of the woods. Sounds like there doing ok but not like the years past. I make it up there at least 4 or 5 times a year. The big thing is you have to be willing to move around more to find fish. Does anybody know if there plowing out to 16 mile?

Babbler had a road out to 16 mile reef yes. Fished 16 Mile mon and tues of this week and my group did fairly well.

Bumble and Others,

I fished at Zipple on Saturday. Fishing was slow in our house in the morning but the house next to us caught about 10 fish right away. We only had 4 in the bucket at noon. Then from noon on it was steady action. We limited out with a mixed bag of saugers and walleyes. Granted there were a few fish that barely made the pail but we ended the day with some nice fish. We were in 24 FOW and nobody other than our buddy around us. The snow is deep off the main plowed roads and I got stuck going to my house so you cannot venture too far. So travel is not good off the main roads. I heard 16 mile has been good. I will be fishing Wednesday through Friday this week. I may spend 1 day at 16 mile but if you work for fish at least where we were at we did bring home limits. The house next to us with 4 guys kept over 20 fish and they all were nice.

Hi guys...coming up Wednesday. What is the latest ice/snow conditions? Can we get around off the plowed road with a 4-wheeler or is it sleds only? Still plenty of good ice left?

Anyone been out for the big pike? Thanks for the info.

I fished Zipple Bay on Saturday as part of the Ice Leaders event... we tipup fished in front of the lighthouse on Saturday and got one flag... that was it. Although, we were fishing right after a cold front pushed through, so that didn't help things any I'm sure.

As far as travel goes.. I did see some people going off road a little, but I wouldn't reccomend it with a vehicle or a 4 wheeler. I had a sled and didn't have much trouble getting around. There are roads plowed out from Zipple which would get you close to the lighthouse area for tipups though... so if you dont' mind walking you can probably park along / just off the road and walk to where you want to tipup fish, depending on where that is...

marine_man

Fished zippel bay the 10th and 11th between 9 guys caught 80-90 and did alot of missing. We heard someone landed a 34 incher not too far from our spot. We stopped by red on the 9th no crappies just walleyes. I had the best luck on LOW with crappies minnows from red?

2 of us fished in our house at Zippel Bay March 8 and part of the 9 and did really well. Probably the biggest limit of fish we have had in a couple of years. We were in the same spot we have been at all year. We kept 8 nice saugers and 8 nice walleyes. We threw back fish that normally we would keep. They really liked the bobber on the 8th and really liked the buckshot on the 9th.

If you don't mind telling me , How deep of water were you guys fishing??? I'm heading up there this weekend. I hope to run into a few walleyes. My brothers are going to be pike fishing in the bay so I figure I'll go out a little deeper than them with my "ol' lady" and see if I can put us on some eyeballs. Any info would be greatly appreciated. morning/midday/evening???/

Also fished the tourney last wekend.

on friday between 3:30-6 about 35 walleyes for the 2 of us

saturday for the tourney about 10 eyes between 8-1:30

so the evening bite was better on friday we fished 25 feet of water on sauger rd out of zipple

We fished in 24' of water all year. The afternoon bite is way better than the morning bite. 2 weeks ago we only had 4 fish in the bucket by noon then it was nuts after that! Same thing this last trip too. We consistantly saw fish all day but they bit better in the afternoon. I will be fishing up there on Thursday night, all day Friday.

I'll be going up there next week from Monday the 20th to Thursday or Friday the 23rd or 24th.

We'll be in a private house out deep and will run shallow morning and evening in portables. If anybody else is going up that time and would like to meet up email me at dougger222 at hotmail.com we may even have some extra room in the 11x17ft shanty but not sure who all is comming yet. May be 2 to 5 people, who knows!!!