• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey all, Just found this a few days ago and wanted to introduce my self. It sounds like I've probly talked to or seen a number of you out on the river before (in fact I remember some people from past seasons). I'm one of those strange people living in the marina all year (Since 00). Its a great way to get around launch lines and fees plus i can fish all night out of the window smile.gif. Im usually fishing from a really beat up old alumacraft t14 with bow and transom mount trolling moters. Other wise A tan and blue coastal house boat (I bought anotherone since 1st posting) . FYI starting in spring I'll be monitering ch16 nights and weekends, Im usually amicable to talking fishing or in case any one gets into trouble.

Dave

Oh no. Now I might have to stop in and share a cold one before trailering up!

Welcome to FM. I haven't fished the river much, but have been thinking seriously about cleaning up the boat and heading over there. What kind of fish do you mainly target?

lol Dave

Joe it depends onthe season spring/fall are great for crappy summer time is good for smallies and walleye. the ford dam is hard to beat for walleyes in the 8-11 lbs range around june. If you go there keep tight to the cement wall for its full lenth or you could lose ur prop. weapon of choice is is the late #9 fat rap with rattles and modified trebles( bent in). I highly sugggest doing this if unless u dont mind the snags, it does not seem to have much of an effect on hooking the fish.

the catfishing is also pretty good I use the biggist bait i can find Ive had people run up and take pictures of it thinking it is what i was fishing for, a minnow over 12inches works just fine smile.gif.

Basicaly I catch fewer fish than on the lakes but they are typically very good size. I consider pool 2 a trophy hunting ground for bass and walleyes.

But one of my favorite things is catching some of the strange species u dont find much inthe lakes this year im going for sturgeon and a gar. last summer a boat spooked something huge near the surface that raised a 6 inch wake for about 40 ft, twice ive seen something near st paul that just didnt make any sense at all i wrote it off as sea monsters or drunken beavers swiming in formation. any things possible on the river.

I suspect there r some good musky in there to but ive never tried for them.

Welcome aboard. I'll be on pool 2 here soon enough to post results or lack there of. Hopefully we can cross paths sometime this spring/summer.

I have a 14' lowe jon boat with 25H Merc. I'll try to look for your boat in the marina when I'm down there.

Thanks ebass, I'll keep an eye out, is the Lowe green? I seem to remember a green john boat trolling the ruble on fort side under hwy 5 bridge 2 years ago was that u?

Yup it's green and it could've been me. Now I've only trolled like once, but that was the area you described but I tried for like 10 mins and I just don't have a clue when it comes to trolling. Dave B will need to school me one day. Plus by my handle you know what I fish for. However, walleyes are always fun to catch.

Tonka Boy and I may be out there next weekend. Where are you now? You're not in the marina now are you?

Talk later - everyone have a great weekend.

Nop i'm intransition my old boat is there still and the new one is stuck on land in stillwater. meanwhile I'm in one of those box like structures cemented to alot of dirt. I was down there on fri though and spotted a minow in the launch area and marked 1 surface ring by the gas dock. Ice is still pretty hardy in the harbor. ST croix of course is solid ( there Sat and Sun) didnt see any one fishing. Next weekend ill probly be sking down at welch so i wont be around watergate.

As for trolling that area the ruble itself has never pruduced for me (strange looks fishy but no fish) but the holes assc. with the piling has pruduced in about 9 ft of water , same thing with the bleak rock soreline from there up to the inlet. I heard some one say they like dog beach area but i never get anything from the sand bottom streches of river (trolling wise).

Later

Dave

Does anyone ice fish the marina? I wonder if some big ol pike would be around there? My boat is finally revamped per say. So I may take a voyage on Sat down on Pool 2. I suppose I better try to get it started at home first - D'oh!

Yes people do on occasion ice fish the harbor I think crappy is the target most of the time though. It used to be more comon, they say in the 90's there was alot of winter walleye action there bu t im not seeing it these days. I have encountered good northern there in spring.

I must just be using the wrong approach on that ruble area then Dave B. Ill have to go over it some more this season.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome aboard KOBANON. Hope to get over your way fishing within the next month or so. It would be nice to meet up with you.

Welcome KOBANON!

I would like to take my boat down there this weekend.

But I have never fished it before and am concerned about tearing up the boat and or motor.

Also having never been there before where is the landing? how do I get there?

What do I need to watch out for?

Anybody wanna go that knows pool#2?

Best access from Tonka is Hidden Falls. Take 5 east pass the airport, cross the River and Exit at Edgecombe/Sheppard/Miss River Blvd exit. Stay right and take right and follow Miss River for about 2 miles. Take a left at Hidden Falls Park and follow it down to the river. The launch is at the end of the park.

As soon as you cross Highway 5, there is another Hidden Falls, dont take that one.

This stretch is pretty safe. No massive wing dams. Just watch out for trees (shouldnt be any right now) and dont try and go between the island yellow at the end of the lock.

Thanks Joe. if u follow Daves directions just go straight across miss. blvde into the park and follow the rd down hill to the marina. fyi it was still frozen in 2 weeks ago and there is a charge to launch which u cant get half the time because they are still on winter hours. upsream of lilly dale its all pretty mild just keep an eye on the depthfinder there are some fingers/ridges that jut out suddeny u could s hit bottom if ur real close to shore. (just ask the Officer who wrote me a ticket when i was beached at the bottom of dog beach((deceptivly shallow and not sand like u would think)) ohh and the east side of the island has alot of rocks stay close to the wall if ur going past there

What did he write you a ticket for?

Is there a seasonal pass you can buy? like a park Pass?

Do people actually keep fish from pool 2 for eating??

"People" poach a lot of walleye from there in the spring when the you can do well from shore.

Walleye, sauger and bass are 100% catch and release.

Other fish are harvested as well. Years ago, this water was very bad and fish were likely not healthy to eat. But it is much cleaner now. I still wouldnt eat something out of there, but I dont think a meal every once in a while would be too bad. It is probably the same as the Croix or Redwing.

There is something called a "land and launch" which includes boat storage, i dont know if there is a season pass but they are pretty open minded if they dont have it they probably would create it

I got ticketed because my skiffs tags where out of date (fair enough) then they wrote me up because my fire extingiushers where not screwed down I wonder if that was a reaction for not telling them there was an old wing dam there, but i just thought they knew that. I kinda feel bad for the rookie they where training i think he was driveing and it looked like a pretty new yamaha 75hp. FYI in the summertime they mean NO WAKE the sherrif ran out of ticket books a few seasons back one weekend.

Does the ice get pretty safe in the marina bay? Im guessing it wont be safe anymore this year and I know they have had a fountain type thing to keep ice away in the past. I have tried icefishing the older bay just north of the marina last year with no luck. I think that the channel on that one freezes up and keeps most of the fish out.

YES THE ICE IS PRETTY SAFE, THE FOUNTIANS ARE INDIVIDUEL BUBBLERS THAT GO UNDER EACH BOAT SO AS LONGE AS UR NOT NEAR THE BOATS U SHOULD BE OK. THAT NORTH BAY IS SO SHALLOW I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF IT FROZE OVER BUT ITS A DECENT SPOT WHEN THE WATERS HIGH (IGNOR THE CAPS I IM AT WORK AND ALWAYS WORK IN THEM )