• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Year around

Is Pool 2 open year round for the C&R? I normaly fish up around the Ford Dam on 2 and above by the city but know thats off limits until opener. Now I know there are a lot of crappies above on the strech between downtown and the ford. and that they will go into certain areas to spawn or something way early. but where or what type of areas or structure would you look for crappies in during this time frame. Same with saugers and eyes. confused.gifgrin.gif

You answered your own question on saugers and eyes.. they are closed until you get below the Ford dam.. dont target them unless you are on pool 2.

As for the crappies... yes, there used to be decent numbers of good fish for the catching about 10 years ago.. about the time more people discovered them. Now there are still crappies.. lots of potato chips and occasional decent fish can be found, but not in numbers. If you know of good spots, its best to keep them to yourself or there will not be any more in a couple years. Word spreads fast, especially on busy sites on the internet. Even a rumor can decimate a fishing spot.. It will affect your fishing in the future.. and EVERYONE else that fishes the areas will be effected also.

Read up on pool 2, pay close attention to those who are finding fish, and know how to find fish. If you translate the information given, anyone who wants to spend a little research time on the water can find some decent walleyes down there. People have been catching fish all winter and the bait choices and locations have been documented.. not exactly GPS coordinates, but plenty of info.

You want some advise on how to catch walleyes this late winter(now)? Launch from 494 and play around by the wingdams around sunrise and sunset. Large jigs have been producing the best results.. 5" ringworms, 5/16 oz jighead.. I have heard purple repeated several times. Pink has treated me well. Not every wing dam is created equal. That is where to look NOW. Fish will start to move much more when the water starts to warm, that shouldnt be for a few weeks yet. This is no secret, and there are lots of people who fish the area.. but TONS of places to fish for everyone.

Theres lots of water on the river. Once you get upstream of the Ford dam, the ideal spots to fish are very limited. The barge channel is deep enough to navagate, but if you get out of that channel much is very shallow. If you fish the area and start pointing fingers at locations.. your going to cut your own throat because there are not many decent places to fish.. and it cuts my throat too... and anyone else who fishes the area.

Does this make sense Dragon Fish? I have shared some good spots with you over time, and with many other people. Some people appreciate it, but others have abused it.. how many people do you want standing in your fishing holes before you get there, and how long do you think the fishing will stay good with a bunch of people abusing it? Think about it. I dont know if you care or not.. but we cross paths quite often.. I CARE about the areas I fish. If I have to pick up other peoples garbage, I would at least appreciate catching a fish after.

Sorry about venting everyone.. but there are some really disrespectful people out there. I like to fish, and take my family fishing in a decent environment.. catching a fish is nice too. People get carried away sometimes.. a fishing spot is no longer a fishing spot when people show up and go on a 2 day drunk in a public place and wont leave, and become a burdon on everyone around them.. when its over, they go home and come back and do it again with friends.. drunk, passing out in vehicles, leaving junk around and equipment behind... thats not cool in my book when I am trying to have a family outing in a public place. mad.gif

Some people just dont think before they act.. even decent people. Other people just dont care how they act, nor how it affects everyone around them. mad.gif

I'm glad you've seen the light That Guy & I agree 100%. I'm not sure how it relates to Dragon's questions but I think I understand.

Oh I agree with you and know I have one spot for spring that ive fished for several years that no one has seemed to figure out. So no pin pointing on my part. Im so busy working right now I barely have any time to fish. but when this gig ends. Im thinking about putting some search time on the river. down here where Im at right now when you cross the missiouri river you can grin.gifsee wing dams stacked up for days,but the waters are way to low this year to be any good.

I'll be in Missouri doing some catfishing(blues) in a few days.. then hitting the cats here when I get back. The forecast looks great.. lots of things will be happening on the river in the next few weeks.

I know your spots Dragon... I just dont like to walk more than 100' if I dont have to, or motor for several miles/ or multiple locks... but they are good spots in general.

Vern.. sorry to lose you in my post.. I am sure I lost many people. I would be well out of line to give further explanation. Some people get a bit out of control from time to time.. and it really upset me at the time.

The fish will be biting here soon. We should do some fishing. I still have a couple spots everyone doesnt know about.

Im back home today but will be heading back down tonight. Back and forth everyother day. Where abouts are you fishing down there. Im always in Kansas City, MO. I call my job the Pony Express. The Mail must get thru. USPS grin.gif