• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How To Catch Fish at RedWing???

Been to Redwing 3 times now and haven't been able to get anything at all. Not even a bite. Is there fish there? How do we catch fish there and where? The advice from Evert's do not seem to work.

Quote:

The advice from Evert's do not seem to work.

Hmmm, Generally speaking Dean is right on with his advice. You might want to go out with someone that has experiance in that area.

When I first started going down there, I had a heck of a time to. Went out with a couple guys and (I still get skunked once in a while) my sucess rate has improve ...a lot.

Good Luck next time!

Dean will always do his best to put you on fish but there is only so much he can do. If you are new to pool 4 I would suggest hiring a guide.

Dean can tell you what others have been catching fish on, but you still have to know the proper presentation of the lure/bait.

I would highly recommend a guide that Dean gives as a referral out of his bait shop!

Hey TSTC?

Next week I'm REALLY going to be free...If you have the boat...I'll pay for the launch!

However, I should warn you I talk alot! grin.gif

Shoot Uncle Dennis Steele a message...he has my contact info.

Ps I'm not guide and my rates reflect this! $0 LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

It really is time on the water and being at the right place at the right time. In early January the sauger bite was going hot and heavy by the dam. By the end of January people were doing better down below the bridge and not so great by the dam.

I've had some real stinkaroo outings and some better ones. I'm starting to get a better idea of how to fish the Miss. However, a buddy and myself have a guide lined up for two dates in March (the same guide who guided Mark Stanley to that 13 lb walleye last March) We figure 2 outings with him will get us a lot farther than trying to figure it out by ourselves. Good luck on pool 4 sir! And I'da Man is a good guy to have in the boat. Very entertaining laugh.gif

mm

Mister Mom,

The guide you are going with is an excellent guide. Had the pleasure of getting out with him for 2 half days last year. Unfortunately one of those half days was the day after the barge lodged in the dam. That screwed up everything for me.

gspman

Hey gspman!

Yes sir! I'm stoked. We got him March 5th and March 25th. Good possibilities of very large fish!

I didn't realize it before, but you and I have to live within minutes of each other. Next Fall you'll have to join BDR and me at my Dad's place for some East Central roosters. Later sir!

mm

Sign me up for the bird hunting gig!!! If you ever need a river fishing partner sometime I'd be up for that too.

You ever do the pool 2 catch and release walleye thing? Actually, pool 3 isn't that far away either (or the Croix).

I'll give you a holler pretty soon.

A couple more weeks it will be warm enough and the days long enough to sneak down to the 494 ramp and get in a couple of hours in the evening during the week. Later sir!

mm

I've only been on Pool 4 and only 3 times at that so I'd be of little help in the locating fish dept but I'm willing to try. So I'm in learning mode. The river just fascinates me though. My goal is to fish the river more. Just have to find more time to do it.

I'm not a whole lot further ahead of you; but I'm starting to put the puzzle together. Lately I've been working on fishing plastics on wingdams. I've caught one fat 23" walleye and missed a few others. I'm with you thinking the river is fascinating. I've even started doing a little catfishing. That is a hoot! We'll definetly have to hook-up for some river action this year sir!

Joel

Mistermom< where you fishing cats on the river? I normally fish kitties in hte minnesota r. cause there isn't the traffic that is on pool 2. But for walleyes it is a fun area. I have been fishing pool 2 for about 20 yrs. Every year something new comes out of fishing there. I have fished the river from 40th street north mpls. to Wabasha. It is always neat to find different areas. Try new things and different things at different times of the year. My largest walleye on pool 2, was 33 inches. Caught in the spring on 4lb. berkley coldweather line after dark. If you guys would like to learn more look me up.

Hey Jim!

My catfishing on pool 2 has been from shore spots with FisherDave and friends. I can't really say where because Dave brought me there. My best flathead last year was a 20 lb'er, but much bigger get caught on 2.

mm

Mistermom say hi to James for me and ask when the Joemomma color of ringworms is coming out. grin.gif It's a running joke and if you want to try it just think of a way to get him to say "Joe who?" The answer is Joemamma. We got him him six times in a row. Anyhow he and Dustin are the best guides on the river. Don't be afraid to pepper him with questions. He'll be happy to explain the how's and why's and show you exactly what you need to do.

Pool 2 is fun to fish better than St Croix. I fish the wingdams mainly around the 494 ramp. Some nice walleye in there and nowhere near as crowded as Pool 4. Drop me message if you want to go out sometime. I don't shore fish at all and am still figuring Pool 2 out. Pool 4 I feel very comfortable with and usually get on fish.

Yes there are fish (walleye & sauger) at Red Wing Dam. In fact there are lots of them.

Watch your electronics. You will see several good sized wind dam's via the naked eye but you will see many more "rock piles" using your electronics.

I've fished RW since the last 60's and find the key is being ready to move and change baits. Sometimes a good drift down the shoreline with a slip sinker rig and live minnows are best. Other times anchoring and vertical jiging is better. Never had much luck with trolling plugs. YOu may also want to slow troll while you're jiging.

Unless you go with someone who fishes there a lot or guides it is difficult to tell you about all of the way to try.

As I say the key is verseatality.

You nay also want to try some of the holes further back from the dam, sometimes these can be dynamite.

Hey Mark!

I will definetly say "hi" to James for you. We got him almost exactly a year (March 25) after that tremendous fish you caught last year ooo.gif We also got him the day after "everybody freezes their butts" tourney occurs.

I'll definetly drop you a line and hit 2 with you or 4 or whatever! I only really shorefish for cats. Its a real relaxing way to fish. Throw out your bait, set your clicker, and then sit a bs waiting for a bite. You should try it sometime! Later sir!

mm