• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrappieJohn

• Dan Thiem

• metrojoe

• winona walleye

Yep the time is drawing near. I hope the weather cooperates this year. It was great last year. We could walk around hole hopping and b.s.ing. Getting to put a face with a name. Metting all the FMers.

Now, if Matt and Ryan Johnson, and their Dad will let me catch some huge crappies like they did down there last year, that would be a bonus!

Getting sick of all this Matt Johnson talk. Took him fishing one time and all he did was severely outfish me and burn a hole in my cousin's Otter. grin.gif

Joel

Only question is will it be on the Ice or in a Boat! grin.gif

What are the dates exactly?

Later,

Corey Bechtold

I'm in on this one again and think my son will be tagging along this year (not on house probation due to his grades yet!).

I got rev'd looking at the pictures from last year (even saw my house in a couple). I think I caught almost every species except a crappie so I have to come back. I even thought I caught a walleye until it flopped on the ice and was a sucker! (made up for that by catching a walleye while catfishing at the Horseshoe event)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got room in my boat, but I'm not sure the fishing is any good in my garage.

I missed the Foster clean up this year, so I'm definitely making this one.

Gotta watch out for that Johnson gang. Hard to out fish them, they gang up like some crazed soccer fanatics. tongue.gif

Righto, Joe. (like the poetry?) Thus far we still have ice there. With htis next week's forecast what it is, I'll have to run down and do a safety check a few days prior to the ordeal.

Why don't you stash BDR in your trunk for the ride down?

How many people do you think will show up? My wife is thinking of coming along but dosen't want to be the only woman/not really like to fish person out there. Is she going to stick out like a sore thumb or will this be more of a social event? Anybody bringing a grill or something like that?

The only thing that will stick out like a sore thumb is Tom's hat.

I'll be bringing a grill. Same as last year. Bring her along. The more the merrier.

You bring her along! Nelson Wisconsin is right up the road and not far from that is Alma....lots of little antique shops. Wabasha has an interesting downtown too with some stuff for the female persuations that want off the ice for a break.

This is about having a good time, not gender.

do i bring the wheeler or is it a short walk out? i do plan on attending sheesh that means a four thirty head out time from here.

You won't need to bring your wheeler. It's only a shot jaunt from the parking lot. See ya there!

I'M IN!!!

Got the all important spousal blessing for The Brawl. I'll be out early to fish the morning. Will probably have to leave around noon. Gonna be great. Can't wait as this event continues to grow and I'm willing to bet we have a better showing than last year. Besides I have to think I can improve upon the jumbo perch I caught last year. Here's the picture:

bbperch4fh.jpg

I'm counting down the days! Less than two weeks! Tom, hold on to your hat! I'm coming over in 9 days! smile.gif

And you better watch out for the Johnson gang! We'll be one short this year (my bro can't make it), but my pop's will be there with me ready to Brawl! wink.gif

What is the ice situation like at Pontoon Landing? I am definitely planning on being there early next Saturday--I just hope I don't need to bring my boat!

An assessment of the ice will be done today, Sunday the 29th. Look for a report by tonight on this issue.

Dan and I just returned from our recon mission with favorable news to report. We are ON!

No need for an auger today, but the ice is still about 10 inches and seems very solid. While we didn't go prepared for a full afternoon of fishing, we did take the rods and some bait. I caught five species ain an hour and a half. Crappies, sunfish, rock bass, perch, and largemouth bass were all agreeable to the bite. The largest of the fish we saw on the ice were crappies. Some decent sunfish got caught too. There were plenty of dinks as well.

Anyway....the Brawl is on! We are asking that when parking to pull into the parking barracades and not park parallel to them so we can get more vehicles into this parking area.

Take the hiway 60 exit/entrance into Wabasha off from Hiway61 and follow the signs for 60 or to Nelson, Ws. Go over the high bridge and past the parking lot immediately at the bottom of the ramp and to the right. Go to the next parking lot on the right, the signs will say Pontoon Slough.

Travel safe ans we'll look forward to meeting all of you there that can make it.

I think I may be able to make this one! Very excited to hear there is enough ice for this to be a go. Still not 100% certain I'll make it but if I do show up is there anything I can bring or do to help out? Let me know. Thanks.

gpsman

Unless we get some snow I would suggest getting or making some cleats. I saw a certain someone do a two step with one leg almost down a hole! LOL!!! grin.gif

Also, another thing to watch out for. Just before the bend in the channel, at the front edge of the deep corner, there are a couple 10" holes that have thawed and melted and were getting a bit bigger.

This should be as fun, if not more than last year, so we'll see everyone there.

Good to hear--I am going to try and be there at sunrise. Is there some sort of secret handshake I should know, or should I just walk around talking to people til I find some other FM'ers? grin.gif

So far, it looks like my 10 year old son and I are planning to attend. Hopefully, we won't jinx the whole group crazy.gif and a few fish will be caught.

Tom,

I know I have my directions and such from last year as well as your possible bait stops but others might need that information.

Can you remind me what time we tried to hit the ice last year (I was a little late I know!)?

Also, bait store options and recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks!