• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FM Get-Together Fishing Report!!

The Get-Together has come and gone. I just arrived back home. All I can say is it was good to have some great company around to fill in the downtown! wink.gif

The long & short of it is that trip ranks right up there with my worst fishing ever on Lake of the Woods.

Kaz & I set up the house in 18 1/2' of water over Pine on Thurs. afternoon. I pulled in 2 keepers in pretty short order around 3-3:30 and that was it.

Friday, we headed back to the same spot and pulled in another 3 keeper fish in the morning and I lost one at the hole and missed a few light biters as well. Things totally shut down after 10:30. We released a few small saugers around 1pm and that was it for the day.

Saturday was a little more productive with a good bunch of FM guys up. We were able to spread out and Rusty Miller & WalleyeJon got into some walleyes about 75 yards from us in 17 1/2' of water. We moved in and iced another 4 keepers from that location and called it a day.

The trip was very, very slow. I personally landed less than 20 fish for 2 1/2 days of fishing. The only good thing is all the fish were "keeper" sized 14-15 inchers!

JB Lures & Scenic Tackle products produced the most for me. Half the fish came on a deadsticked JB Lures gold Gem-N-Eye with an Emerald Shiner and the other fish came on a 1/8oz Scenic Tackle Go-Devil in Perch Color. The remaining few fish were picked up with a Scenic Glow Red Angel Eye, Jr.

It was a fun weekend for sure! Curt Quesnell, Walleyejon, Kaz, Wiskers, iffwalleyes and a few other folks all joined in for hot dogs on the ice and chili at Curt's place in the evening.

On the way back, rumor has it that someone in Curt's house landed a 36" pike up there this morning.

Also heard the bite was shifting towards deeper water but we also happened to find the fish by heading shallower as well. Who knows? Cold front conditions were definitely messing with the fish.

Lots of snow up there right now. Truck & ATV travel are perfectly fine and lots of snow for the sleds as well.

Hanson: thanks for the report. sorry that it was slow on the fish catching though. I'm sure a good time was had by all, sure sounds like it. One week to go and then its my turn, hope they get a little more agressive, but then I guess thats fishing. Any time away from the office is always good. thanks again. Bill

I just got back myself. Today's fishing was better for me but still not the Lake of The Woods I am used to. The walleyes were smacking the heck out of my JB rattle varmit today. However there we still pretty slow. But like Hanson said they were mostly 14-16" fish. So it made getting some to take home a little easier but it is still fun to have steady action. I moved a little deeper mid morning to try and run into some saugers to finish my limit off but didn't run into any. Oh well still was a fun time and enjoyed meeting everyone it was fun. It would have been a little better had the fish been there but that is fishing.

Wisker's and I definately had a hot location Saturday morning, with Wisker's orange glow Chubby Darter out fishing my variety of jigging efforts three to one, and only a couple small fish on our deadsticks. Our flashers were lit up steady until around noon, when the action dwindled to one mark every 20-30 minutes, and those fish did not want anything to do with any of presentations. As with all the FM get togethers I've been to, the time spent visiting off the lake, made the slower fishing more than worthwhile. My sincerest thanks to Kaz for letting me hang my hat at his cabin, and to Curt Q (and Mrs. Q) for the chili we ate while watching some North Country Outdoors videos he has made over the years. Meeting FMer iffwalleyes for the first time was also a treat. He's just another in growing list of folks I've met through FM that I'll look forward to fishing, and bs'ing with whenever I get the chance. Thanks again to all.

My twice a year fishin buddy Mark Maybee from the Cities

was up for the weekend. Not an FMer, he was impressed

by the fact that people who really didn't know each other

would meet up and fish together. So now Mark has a half

a dozen new friends.

Speaking of a half a dozen, thats how many fish we each

kept on Saturday. 3 Walleyes-3 Saugers. Tossed back a

few shakers. Half on the dead stick, half on the Angel

Eye-Go Devil-Spoon attack.

I have never used those "rock n rolls" and never liked em.

I had to dig out the pliers to get the hooks out from

wayyyyyyyyy down the fishes throats they were so agressive

on the bite when they smacked that 3/8th ounce R & R both

Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday we went further east and stopped in 21 ft deep water.

We fish only 2 hours and caught 3 more Walleyes over 14

inches, one 16 inch Sauger and a 36 inch Pike.

Saw the red line halfway to the surface on the flasher.

Raised up the jig and the red line vanished. Back to the

bottom and the line re-appeared, back up and one little

shake and the Pike slammed. No electronics, no Pike that

time.

I made everyone watch my fishing videos in exchange for

my wifes good Chili. (grin)