• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lure suggestions Lake of the Woods

walleyeiceguy

I am headding up to Lake of the woods on the 17 of Dec and again on the 26. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good luers this year. I usualy use either gold or pink angle eye on my jigging line. and a ginzz worm on my set line. If anyone had any other suggestions that would be great.

stay with gold or pink on just about anything and you will do just fine. I use a gold slender spoon alot my self 1/8 oz with half minow head.

Gold, Pink, Glow Red, Chart/Green are all good options. Also Chubby darters work awesome as well. For a set line find yourself some plain gold Kahle Hooks. If it is a slow day the simple kahle hook will usually out produce.

Also you may want some noise on the lure(rattle) and right now it is very stained water so bright colors are a must.

Buck shot rattlers are always good... I've had good luck on JR's crushers in the colors that IFFWALLEYES refers too.. and be sure to have some gold kahle hooks... as iffwalleyes said.. they'll often outperform the jigging line depending on the mood of the fish...

I'd also grab a couple jig-a-bits.. I've had good luck (when the gold kahle hook isn't performing) with red, glow and gold...

marine_man

gold genz worm look a like and did well on the purlple headed demon w/ glow body-(full shinner minnow)-seemed to catch more saugs on the demon for some reason (or by chance)--didn't use much else and caught plenty! Have fun and find the big ones.

I'm not 100% familiar with size, but I'd say a 2... 1/0 seems pretty large to me... it's smaller than one would think.. but larger ones don't always seem to produce...

Good Luck!

marine_man

Bring some airplane/flyer type jigs for sure too. Plain hooks on short droppers off of go-devils/buckshot/frostee type spoons work well. I use a #6 Kahle style on these myself mostly, sometimes an 8 or 4 depending on minnow type/size used.

Chubbydarters seem to me to only work when the fish are hammering anything you throw at them. I have heard and read the 'hype', just never seen it happen with my own eyes! Try as I may they just don't do it 'cept those rare days when they'll even hit your depth bomb! Those Pike seem to really like them up here though.

Doctor some plain gold AEjrs with a bit of orange or pink paint along 1 edge of the convex side iffin you have the time and the paint. Same with gold flyers 'cept paint the nose of these.

Jig-0-Bits, Rock 'n Rolls, and Gem'n eyes, in gold and the other colors mentioned are standards with alot of locals up here under their bobbers and deadsticks.

Good luck and enjoy.....fiskyknut

Marine Man's size of choice is a #4 or #6 on the Kahle hooks. They are little suckers that is for sure. The first time he put one on I asked if he was fishing walleyes or panfish. After he had a about a 8 fish lead on me with them I decided that there might be something to it. So ever since that is the size we get. I am pretty sure it is a #6. But when they aren't aggresive it is just the right size for them.

We usually use the gold or red angel eye and glo devils. The hot tip for us was bouncing one off the bottom and having a dead stick in your other hole. They were attracted to the movement and then hit the still one.

However on one of our trips my friend's 72 yr old dad, puts on anything he has. Usually catches less fish, but he's always messing around and not paying alot of attention. Well on our first morning 30 mins after we start, my 8lb northern collects 6 of the other 7 lines. After about 45 mins my friends dad finally gets his line back in. 30 seconds later he's got a 28.5" eye on a noodle rod that's bent at the handle. When I pull it out of the hole for him he's got on a Bumble Bee Fuzz E Grub! Biggest fish of the weekend and the biggest of his life.

I guess the lesson I learned are "stay away from the crowds" and try something different. And as the late Jimmy V said " .. don't give up, don't ever give up!"

We usually use the gold or red angel eye and glo devils. The hot tip for us was bouncing one off the bottom and having a dead stick in your other hole. They were attracted to the movement and then hit the still one.

However on one of our trips my friend's 72 yr old dad, puts on anything he has. Usually catches less fish, but he's always messing around and not paying alot of attention. Well on our first morning 30 mins after we start, my 8lb northern collects 6 of the other 7 lines. After about 45 mins my friends dad finally gets his line back in. 30 seconds later he's got a 28.5" eye on a noodle rod that's bent at the handle. When I pull it out of the hole for him he's got on a Bumble Bee Fuzz E Grub! Biggest fish of the weekend and the biggest of his life.

I guess the lesson I learned are "stay away from the crowds" and try something different. And as the late Jimmy V said " .. don't give up, don't ever give up!"

JR's Flasher spoons in Gold, Glow Red and Perch. Buckshots, Chubby Darters, Pimples, Tinglers and Forage Minnow spoons.

Bare hooks, hawger 2000 jigs, Gem n eys and jig o bits on a dead stick or bobber are good.

Gold, Gold Pink, Glow Red, glow, glow blue and chart/orange are all good at different times. Some days it dont matter.

Good luck and give us a report when ya get back.

Thank you all for all the suggestions. I am planning on headding to Thorn Brothers tommorrow to pick up some of your lure tips. I think all your comments will make this a great trip and a good chance to try some new techniques.

thanks again and have a great season of Ice Fishing

Respectfully,

Walleyeiceguy

I always have some Cicada with in the gold color. very good with an eratic action. usually hits on the way down after jigging up, flutters to the bottom- pull up so it is 4-6" let it sit for 20 sec's and jig again. usually the bite is just before the bottom or while you are pulling up to the 6" mark. good luck

Spent the weekend up at Lake of the Woods and it was very, very slow fishing over Pine.

I couldn't put a pattern to the mood the fish were in. Some were on, some were off, it was really strange. Because of that, half the fish came on a deadstick/setline and half came from jigging. And the fish I did catch jigging either annihilated the lure or stared at the lure while I was shaking it and then sucked it in.

Back to tackle. JB Lures Gem-N-Eye in gold color with an emerald shiner under an Ice Buster was very effective. My jigging rod either had a Scenic Tackle Go-Devil in Perch color or an Angel Eye, Jr. in Glow Red. Both were effective. JB Lures Varmint and Rattling Varmint spoons in Gold produced fish as well. Custom Jigs & Spins Demon Jigging Spoon in Gold or Perch would also have been choice lures last weekend.

I was up there a week ago this Sunday and did real well on Northland Buckshot spoons and the Scenic Tackle Go-Devil's. I tried gold colored Buckshots in 1/8 and 1/4 oz. The Go-Devil's were used in the smaller size with a blue/white and Perch color.

The fish seemed to be fairly aggresive but like the smaller spoon vs. the bigger spoon.

Both my uncles were up there this past week and didn't do much of anything. It didn't help that it blew and snowed each day. Both of their groups used a variety of your run of the mill spoons.

Let us know how you did so that you can make notes for the next trip (what worked vs. what didn't) that is coming up for you.

iffwalleyes is right... it's a size 6...

They are small... but ask iffwalleyes about the walleye he caught on one up in Canada!

marine_man