• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tackle suggestions for newbie Ice fisherman

I have fished LOW one time in the past, but am bringing along a fiend and his teenage son who have not ice fished in the past. They want to pick up some tackle for the trip (I offered to share, but they want their own). I am trying to figure out what would be the best way for them to spend their money.

So the question is, if you had $50 to $75 to spend on tackle for LOW what would you buy?

Gold jigs, Glow Angel Eye's, Glow Demons, ice buster bobbers, colored #4-6 hooks and anything else that is gold or glows. It's pretty basic fishing up there. One rod with a jig/plain hook and a bobber and the other rod with some sort of jigging spoon.

Ditto..... on the anything "gold" Ive tried most colors, but gold seems to be the best for me.

Great thanks for the information. Can't wait to get up there and get some walleye

I'll third the anything gold concept. Last year I fished a gold 1/4oz fireball jig on one rod and fished a gold Demon style vertical jig on the other. (easily 50 fish on day #1 both under ICe Busters! Day #2 was a tougher bite but same setups but I jigged the gold Demon and also did pretty well just not 50 fish that day.)

One thing is the fireball jig had a prism black eye on it and it outperformed every other lure in the house by far. In fact I borrowed one to one of my house mates and his only two keepers of the day came on that same jig.

I'm sold on the "eyes" on the jig as another attractor on some days and just received my order of the new Angel Eye jigs in 1/4oz and 1/8oz. They have a great eye on them and I'm thinking that if the glow colors are hotter than gold some day on LOW then I may get the best of both worlds this year. Who knows for sure. There is always a reason to buy more tackle.

I also won't go anywhere without my Angel Eye spoons and last year the Chubby Darters were real good for lots of folks.

Anybody trying red Gens Worms? Use them on Red for the slabs and they are deadly. Suppose they work up on LOW?

A few others to consider:

* Gold Genz Worm with red hook

* Gold back jigging Lindy Frostee or Spoon with any bright color's on the front

* Go-Devil's in any bright color or perch color

All are available at The Log Cabin on your way to the majority of the resorts up there!

I would for sure buy several Northland Buckshot rattle Jigs. Gold ,red, and glow white/pink. If you have some extra money get some of each size. I would also purchase some gold rock n roll jigs. Sometimes black jigs have worked very well for me. Thats just my $.02.

Good luck

Also shinners are worth the extra money when you get up there.

I second the buck-shot jigs. i have also used those airplane jiggs and found that tipped with a minnow head can be very good.

Need some help here fellas, I am coming up to Red and LOTW next week and have a few questions. I know how to fish Red pretty well but LOTW is new to me(first time there). Can anyone find me a link that shows what angel eye jigs and glow demons look like? I would really appreciate it, I just want to make sure I buy the right things. Thanks guys.