• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Route From Twin Cities to Wheelers Pt.

What is the best route to get from the south metro to Wheelers Pt.? Is it best to take 35 to Cloquet and shoot NW on 2? Or 10 to 371 or 71?

Thanks

I live out a little west of the metro and get up to clearwater hwy 24 north (b4 stcloud) get on hwy 10 to 371 through walker up to cass lake, then hope on co rd 39 N to blackduck and then straight up to baudette. about 5 1/2 to 6 hrs for me, if roads good. If not I'll probably stay on hwy 71 more. You know the saying.....6 in one half dozen in the other.gotta go north and a little west. hope this helps ya

I like 94 to clearwater, 10 to motley, 64 to brrrrrmidgi, 2 over to 71 to 72 thru keliher (usually a good gas stop) to baudette

We go 35 to Moose Lake, up to Floodwood and then up to Deer River, etc. If you go 35 don't go all the way thru Cloquet, save some time by going thru Moose Lake. Seems to be the best route from the south Metro.

Directions to Wheelers Point Lake of the Woods

Depart I94 to Clearwater exit #178, go right to Clear Lake, Hwy 10. Left turn on Hwy 10, going north. Towns to pass, Sauk Rapids, Royalton, Little Falls, to Motley. In Motley watch for Hwy 64 signs. It’s a right turn just past the Rail Road tracks in town. Go about ¼ mile and turn left on 64. Follow 64 past Leader and Akelgy. Short right turn at Akelgy, and then left to continue on Hwy 64. Follow 64 to the end at Hwy 200. Left on 200 where it merges with Hwy 71. Follow 71 to 71/Hwy 2, left on Freeway around the town of Bemidji. About 4 or 5 miles on freeway, watch for right merge to north 71. Follow 71 to Blackduck. At Blackduck, take 72 north to Hwy 1. Right on ramp to Shooks, left at Shooks to continue on 72 to Kelliher. GOOD GAS STOP on the left in Kelliher. Prices are usually 10 cents cheaper than in Baudette. Follow 72 past Waskish north to end at Hwy 11. Turn left at Hwy 11 into Baudette and OBSERVE the speed limits!!!! They tag over 30MPH!! Go through the town and just past the town watch for Hwy 172 to “Wheelers Point”, 12 miles north watch for sign. Approximate travel time is 5 ½ to 6 hours. I make it in 5 hours with no stops except for gas, traveling at 75 MPH in the 70 zones, 70 in the 65’s and 60/65 in the 55 zones.

NOTE: North of Motley always watch for Deer, especially one to two hours before sunset and after dark too!!! If you see one, there is probably more coming.

Ditto on your directions Kaz. I've run this route for the past 5 years. Used to go 371 through Brainerd etc hook up with the Hwy in Walker etc and that was a slow trip with signal lights and small towns every few miles. The route you describe I can make Blackduck for a breakfast stop in 3 hours from St Cloud without blowin' the doors off. Bill