• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bait??

Captain B.R.K

I'm on my way up this weekend, coming from Alexandria and won't be going through Grand Rapids. Where would a guy get some Emerald Shiners and other various bait?

Thanks,

Hey...not sure if they will have Emerald Shiners for sure...but swing by Log Cabin Bait. Steve is a great guy and has some useful information.

BRK-

Where were you fishing out of again?

Log Cabin is a good bet on the east side. Its a 1/4 mile south or so of Wheeler's Pt. on the east side of the road.

The only thing to remember is that Emerald shiners are native in LOW and the fish are used to eating them, shiners from Kelliher or Bemidji are not Emeralds. It's been my experience that when you have a tough bite Emeralds are the way to go. Anything will work when they are snapping.

Captain BRK, Ditto on Log Cabin. Steve will give you a good scoop and at a very fair price. i have also found that styrofoam rather than plastic minnow bucket will keep them alive much longer. They are not as hardy in the bucket as fatheads. Will be looking for your report. Good luck and hold onto your rod. Bill

ive had real good luck at striefs for shiners so far this year.gotta treat em like tropical aquarium fish, put the bag in the water for a bit so they dont get shocked.

I know, I know...stupid questions aren't allowed here wink.gif but here goes one:

Which bait shop is Log Cabin?? Is that the bait shop right in town there across from the gas station/grocery store?

OR

Is this bait store on the road up to the lake and all the resorts?

Thanks Guys!

I will definately give a report when I return. Hopefully I'll have some good news though this talk about the water being stirred up has got me worried a bit.

not too cloudy out of morris point past 18`, clearin up. in at 12 it is, water stains the snow like coffee. worse towards longpnt, not brownish there tho, kinda milky.

log cabin is on 172 just past 8

those ones they have at striefs r good. mine stayed alive in a pail 3 days. tonight, however, i granted them clemency.

BRK: Log Cabin is out on Wheelers Point. If you know where the Sportsman's resort is, it's just a few blocks past the turn off to Sportsman's on Hwy 172. It's in the midest of all or the resorts at Wheelers. Steve gives a GOOD scoop of fresh bait, has a grocery and liquor store too, with good prices, very competitive... Com on up!!! Kaz cool.gif

Last year I stopped at adrians for shiners and asked for a couple dozen minnows and I got 24 minnows...they are a little tight there...

I stopped at Border Bait Co. to buy bait last weekend. Very nice store-nice people-big emerald shiners-nice price. New store just before Adrians on the same side.

Thanks Kaz!

We found it this morning and stopped in. Whoever we talked was a nice guy grin.gif Gave us some good tips and had good, lively bait.