• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

URL Lakemaster map

black max

To find Current Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports - Click Here

Old Lakemaster info below: ↓↓↓↓

Well lakemaster finally mapped URL with 6in increments. I just bought a poster map of URL at the ice show yesterday and they were selling like hot cakes. Lakemaster won't have URL or the other lakes they mapped this last summer until late Feb. or march on thier new chips or cd rom they told me.

The maps was $15 and was worth it esp. since it is the only way to view the lake right now. The map is no big surprise as far as structure, but the lake is not just a big bowl completely. There is quite a bit of structure on the map, more than I thought this lake had. I am guessing that there will be pockets of houses set up on these structures now that people can find them easily, this may make the bunching problem worse. I guess if you want on a piece of structure it will be worse and if ya fish away from the crowds it will be even better. I can't wait to get up there and do some fishing soon.

Just curious. When they map a lake with GPS for depths in the summer, how do they take into account wave action? If you say the depths are within 6 inches, any waves at all would affect their readings. Also, you say there is some structure out there. What kind of variance in depth, 6", 12" or more? I'm sure the cribs show up. All in all, it sounds interesting and thanks for posting the info for us.

The current Lakemaster MN chip has the contours of Upper Red Lake that we all know. I believe they used the URLAA map of Red. It looks very similar to me. What I was surprised at was all the locations and patterns of the crappie cribs are on the lake map as well.

I can't wait to see the new version of the lake. I doubt it will make it any easier to chase them slabs down though. grin.gif

I'm not sure how they went about mapping it in 6in increments, but I will say that if it is as accurate as thier other maps it is worth getting. There is some structure in a bunch of spots on the lake. On the back side they have blown up areas of structure and have 50 waypoints already marked on the map with the gps cords.

The crib areas look to be marked on this map also. I don't know if it will help nail down any more slabs since they are roaming so much on this lake but it don't hurt to have it. It will prob help ya nail down some eyes also when they open next season;(Like you need help anyway). It will be nice next year to be able to keep a couple eyes with the slabs. Makes the trip up all the more worth while.

20 years ago (1986) my son went to a certain place and pounded the crappies. 98 years ago (1908) my Grandfather found places that he could not put his nets down due to the mud and started a lake map. 5 years ago (1980)I started recording where the mud started and the gravel ended. End result; the crappies are where they want to be. grin.gif We just have to find them. Lakemaster has not done anything that has not been done for 100 years, it hasn't helped us much. But they are good at promoting.

Quote:

5 years ago (1980)

Classic is that waskish math!!! grin.gifgrin.gif Had to point that out too funny. The rest of the math seems to almost work though. I just hope and pray that it is not 1985 still!!! blush.gif

I have spent quite a bit of time on URL and feel like I know it pretty well, though certainly no where near as much as Kelley's family and those who have spent a lifetime on the lake. I just received my map in the mail. I don't think it is a huge surprise, but I do find it pretty revealing in some areas. I think that most people who think it is a big bowl will be surprised, and for myself, I see a few things I am looking forward to checking out. Overall, it is pretty cool.

Does this new map include the location of Kelly's houses? Everyone knows thats where the fish are!

Quote:

Does this new map include the location of Kelly's houses? Everyone knows thats where the fish are!

No it doesn't have the location of Kelly's fishouses but it does have the location of all the crowds on it; there all marked with a red WP# smile.gif and I will bet good money Kelly's houses won't be on those spots. grin.gif

I wasn't really surprised with any "major findings" as far as structure although the map seems very accurate to my knowledge of the lake. Growing up on the lake we always knew those spots and they never seemed to be better then good old fashioned finding the fish away from the crowds relating to some odd change in water, bottom or baitfish.

Funny thing about that map is you look at it and see the structure and think "WOW look at that break line!" A guy forgets that your looking at a map thats what 9 miles x 9 miles? Thats a lot of foot steps between those 6 inch contour lines. confused.gif

The map is certainly no cure all, esp. for you guys that have been fishing the lake all your lives. It will help you find your way around the lake and find some srtucture spots if ya want. If nothing else it will concentrate certain fishermen on the waypoint and leave the rest of the lake open for the rest of us to move around and spread out.

One very good thing that the map will do is help poeple that may get a little turned around at night or in a snow storm. With the waypoints marked and plotted someone that is not familar to the lake stands a good chance of finding the way home in snow or white-out.

I finally got to see this map and it appears pretty accurate comparing to what I know. It appears that perhaps their sonar did not read the mud in places but read the mineral soil under the mud so they show a little deeper depth then is there. I think everybody should go right to one of their waypoints. grin.gifgrin.gif

Kelly I know you are being facetious but I think there is no doubt that his map is going to help walleye and pike fishermen be more effective, and also it will be a big help to springtime crappie anglers. I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought this back to the top I am going to take issue with you on one of your statements.

You stated that this isn't anything that hasn't been done before. Let me explain to you and the others how this map was made. On the boat is a super accurate sonar interfaced with a super accurate GPS. They use their chart potter to drive all over the lake runing this combo. Looking at the chart plotter, they just color in the lake sorta like a etch-a sketch. Here is the important part. Each ping of the sonar has a GPS coordiate attached to it. As they cover the lake, this information is recorded. Then the information is taken back and entered into a computer and some VERY expensive software compils it into the lakemap you see. It is really amazing technology and has only been around for a short time. Regarding the question that was asked about wave action, you just simply choose calm days to do the work.

I am not trying to diss you but to say that this is nothing that hasn't been done before seems kinda silly doesn't it? So I think you can see why your statement that it seems pretty accurate also seems kinda silly too. I do not think you need to see it as a threat, particularly because I don't see it being that much of a help to winter crappie anglers. I am disappointed to see some structure where I have guided people for crappies and pike now in plain sight for everyone to see. This map will be a big help to those coming to URL for the first time in open water, and to a lesser extent in winter.

Once again, I'm not dissing you and I respect your knowledge of URL, I just think what you said was misleading and I felt the need to clear it up. See you on the water.

I don't see that anywhere I said the map was not accurate or was wrong. I did not in any way say that the map was bad. I do not see that the map is a threat in any way to my business. There is nothing on the map that I already didn't know about and nothing on the map anywhere close to anywhere I might put a house for crappies. What I am saying is that people should not look at this map as a cure all that will help them find fish. I do not think that was misleading. People have been mapping URL for 100 years with the best equipment available at that time. Can anyone say that that has made a big difference? I still think that the key in the winter is still going to be to go to the biggest opening where there are no people.

In any case it is a good map but I'm going to stick with what I have, most of which was done with a $1.99 K-Mart compass and a steel tape measure. grin.gif

Quote:

a steel tape measure.
grin.gif

"A" steel tape measure, does "A" stand for a hundred broken tapes from years of nonstop prodding and poking the lake? You should be sponsored by Stanley tools! smile.gif ....and Mazda racing!

Like I told you friday night Kelly, Lets go to the old Sunset Lodge and get your map off the wall. Better yet lets take the whole wall. wink.gif

If you want the map go to wwwlakemap to get it. Or call 1-800-540-5747 and ask for jeff. Tell him Dan from Brainerd sent you.