• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Rick

Upper Red Lake Fishing Reports

Rick

Please post upper red lake fishing reports and lake conditions only here. The Good, the bad, and the ugly. smile

Newer reports lower at end of thread and a little URL Show to get you jonesing,

fishfindn

We fished from Friday at about 3:00 PM to Sunday at about noon. 47 walleyes and 1 northern. We went out of Rogers. 13 feet of water. Crappie minnows and an assortment of jigs. The fish didn't care what we put down the hole. We had different jigs on each line. They hit them all. Of the 47, 25 were under 17". 4 were under 14". Therefore, by our definition, we caught 21 eaters (14+ through 16 3/4). 21 were in the slot. The slot walleyes were between 17" and 21" Of those, most were about 18" to 19". We probably had more than 50 dinks. They hit hot and heavy from the time we got there on Friday until sunset. They slowed from sunset through about midnight. Hit well from midnight to about 4 or 5. They slowed throughout the day on Saturday. We only caught 2 after sunrise on Sunday. Saturday night was slower than Friday night, but we definitely had a middle of the night bite on both nights. I was up frequently both nights with dinks and fish. If I had been there another day, we would have moved Saturday night or Sunday morning. Others around us in portables reported similar action during the day.

We were happy with the weekend and considered 47 fish through the hole a success. I'll be back up this weekend or next!!

fishinmajishin

Good report...How many of you?

fishlakeman

We were out this past Wednesday. Did a day trip. Took Hillmans road out around 3 miles. Bite was O.K. Caught 10 eyes. 5 eaters (14.5-16.9) and 5 over the slot. We had probably another 6 lost at hole or halfway up (had some rookies with). The fish that did come in were aggressive. Had some we didn't even mark on the Vex and they would come out of nowhere and just smack the buckshots! All in all it was a beautiful day to be on the water. And as always, I was impressed with the condition of Hillman's roads. Anyone who tries to skip out on the road pass needs a swift kick in the coin purse in my opinion. The money is well deserved for the way they maintain that freeway.

Random guy

I jiggled the hook and the fish didn’t bite, so I stopped jiggling the hook and the fish biteded the hook a lot”- 7 year old angler giving me tips on the hot bite.

Just as the young angler told me it has been a finicky but productive walleye bite the last few days. Walleyes are faced with cold fronts, pressure systems and even what appears to be some serious competition from a now very aggressive pike population.

Walleye anglers are seeing a new type of bite I like to call an electronics bite. With walleyes coming in on bait several times before a strike anglers utilizing quality sonar units are out producing the old bobber stare and silent rattle reels. Best bet has been a smaller but very colorful presentation such as glowing Demons, Frostees, and Rattlin’ Flyer’ spoons twitched in place verses a more aggressive jig while the sun is in the sky. Once darkness rolls across the snow covered ice of Upper Red Lake the tail hooked fatheads on a rattle reel or deadstick is the easy meal dedicated feeding walleyes are looking for.

Crappies are showing up as the classic clusters of gentle biting giants. Schools of the famed trophy class fish will slip in as they use their paper mouths to silently strip the bait from the sharpest of hooks. Remember these trophy class fish are old and apparently they have learned a few tricks in their later years. Crappies are targeting the same presentations the walleye are, only difference is the ultra sensitive rods and accurate electronics are detecting the light biters. I have spoke with several anglers with crappies in the bucket and a lost look on their face- “I didn’t even know it was there, I picked up the rod and it was heavy.” So zoom in those flashers and dial in the target separation when seeking crappies. Even as frustrating as it may sound by the time March shows up on the calendar these light biters will have multiplied and become super aggressive as they always do.

Numerous Perch are showing up all along the north shore for guys pounding rattling spoons, slender spoons and dropper rigs tipped with minnow heads or larvae. These bottom hugging fish are hitting with the ferocity of a poodle chasing the mail man. Many dandy sized perch in the ten inch class range are ending up in buckets and photos…could this be the next Upper Red Lake craze?

The fast is over! Pike are showing up in record numbers and some record sizes! I made the comment about a month ago;

As for the pike it has been slow with a few popping up here and there. Looks like we are going to have one of those years where they turn on mid winter and go nuts on the walleye jigs.
Looks like the pike had my back on that one.[whew] Sucker minnows and classic pike presentation have produced but not as well as the cute pink jigs. Walleye anglers need to be prepared to handle a large beast with a bad attitude when hitting the ice of Upper Red Lake this coming weekend.

For North shore location Hillman’s road is seeing some outstanding Multi species action at the six mile mark and the angle road heading NW towards the famed “Crappie Highway” at the six mile mark. Several crappies, limits of walleye and even trophy pike that make the paper are showing up in that region. Buddy did a great job this year punching out some of the best fishing grounds with super straight roads and great customer service. Make sure to have your Hillmans road pass visible and Buddy or any one that works on the Hillmans road will be happy to plow you a little spot for your house, assist you with any problems or just point you in the right direction. If you do not have a Hillmans road pass the story of how you got to the far reaches of the north shore without one should be an interesting tale at the least.

Good Luck and enjoy the outdoors.

goingdeep

well put

lindyman

Excellent Report. Thanks for sharing all that info.

Random guy

One of the Pike that are now showing up

img0758de6.jpg

Northlander

Holy Shiznit Johny thats a SOW!!

B-man715

we did the annual family trip last friday and saturday out of West Wind. It was the SLOWEST fishing I've ever had on Red. Six people, 5 fish kept (though none had to be released), over a day and a half. I just got back from lotw with some buddies. We fished out of morris and we did a little better, but it was slow and cold.

cassius

If you only caught 5 fish out of six people. Somethings wrong. I've been up there with alot of pressure and extreme cold weather and never caught less than double digits myself. What were you using?

&JAG

Fishing.... Tues. 1:00pm - Thursday 9:00am out of Roger's Landing

2 people

1 fishing

1 reading/fishing a little and relaxing a lot

10 - Walleye 12, 12.5, (2) 16.5, (2) 17, 17.5, 18, 19, 20.25"

No sign of Crappie

Pike action was intense twice. One was on a rattle reel, beat me down good, then one up to the hole but no go. They were both big fish! More slot fish than anything, but a bigger fish is always fun to catch.

Random guy

Don't feel bad guys fishing was very tough during the cold front/spell as it always is. I talked to alot of anglers that didn't do so hot last few days...thats fishing.

B-man715

If you only caught 5 fish out of six people. Somethings wrong. I've been up there with alot of pressure and extreme cold weather and never caught less than double digits myself. What were you using?

Like I said, it was the worst ever! Didn't matter what we used (bare hooks, buckshots, demons, chubbys, raps, etc etc) the fish were not active. I had a camera down for 5 hours and saw ONE walleye and one small perch.....

I spoke with other fishermen at the bar, some did a little better and some did even worse!

ironrangegemneye

Maybe the warm weather that is coming in the next couple days will get the bite back. Temps in the 20's sound good to me.

Bigeye30"

Swung into Red Lake on our way back from LOTW and all I can say is what a great fishery you guys have up there, setup out in the middle of nowhere lol well that's what it seemed like anyways and within fifteen mins the fish were on, managed to ice 6 eyes, didn't take any measurements just put em back, missed about another six in about an hour to an hour an a half and lost one really nice one just under the hole, red lindy rattlin flyer or pink glow on the deadstick with fatheads was the ticket for me. 12-13 fow The one thing that seemed odd was the bite that was going absolutely great just ended immediately once a perm plopped down a few feet away and started the auger, couldn't get anything to come in after that so we packed up and left for home.

mhmklein

Great report, good to here, ill be heading up a week from friday, 1st time to upper red, really looking forward to it!

side_laker

just got back from fishing. fished from 730 am till dark. jmarked 5 fish iced 3 and only one was a keeper at 13inches. moved a couple of times but still no action. talked to a couple of groups they had only 15 fish from thursday till tonight. just to let every one know the warden was around today.

SCONASOTAN

Father-in-law and I fished out of Morts on Friday and Sat. Very slow, Caught 7 walleye, 1 perch, 1 northern. Talking with Mort, the cold really slowed things down because things were going really well last weekend (story of my life). We were hoping with the warm up and dropping barometer it would have picked up for us but didn't happen. we missed another 6, either came unbuttoned on way up or bottom of ice. I would bet that with this warm up on the 3rd or 4th day of it they'll start biting again. OF the 15 bites we had only 3 were NOT on dead stick.. we had rattle wheels down at night and I switched lures like a mad man but if there are very few fish on the graph it doesn't matter what you have down there. doesn't matter though as that is fishing. talked with many people around us and very slow for them as well.

this week will be better, unfortunately I won't be back until late winter.

SCONASOTAN

glow hook and split shot was by far the big winner. only had fatheads

shaky legs2

We fished January 15-17 out of Hillmans. Fishing was decent during the day for walleye but things really slowed after dark. No crappies this trip frown

Fish Slayer

Fished out of Rogers from the 15th to the 17th and it was terribly slow. Caught only 7 walleyes total between three guys. Graphed some fish but they would not bite no matter what we threw at them. Only one bite on the rattle reels in two nights of fishing. Talked to the house next to us and they dident have a bite for 19 straight hours between four people. First trip up there so I dont think it is usually this tough of fishing.

woodman

18 guys 6 houses Thursday- Sunday am we caught aprox. 300 fish all together. Biggest northern 37.5 inches, biggest eye 22.5 inches, and one 14 inch crappie. Good job Jonny and Kelly on putting us on fish. Lots of good times and man did it get cold. The weather did not matter though, they bit all weekend in waves. 7-9 am, 11-1, 3-7 good bites, only a couple after dark in my house, another house had the rattles going all night. About 95 percent were on rattle reels and plain red hook, or a red eye dropper.

kelly-p

You guys and Shakey got out of here just in time as it snowed and blew most of the day. What a mess now. Now we're really missing the big truck. I'm getting real sick of this 225 miles to a tranny.

Outdoorsman142

kelly or jonny question on what depth to fish heading up early in the morning? thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello, from Sunset Lodge!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. In Minnesota, high winds limited fishing areas but many of our guests were able to find the walleyes stacked up on the humps pulling spinners.  Gold and green crawler harnesses are working the best.

In Canada, working a slower presentation such as a lift and drag technique has been most effective.  Limits of walleye are being caught using gold and chartreus colors in 18-22 ft.  Key areas have been Deepwater Bay, Monkey Rocks and the west side of Falcon Island.  Smallmouth fishing has been heating up as well, using a jig and plastic on the rocks. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      In Minnesota, walleye fishing has been fantastic! Using a jig and minnow or a bobber rig, walleye can be had anywhere from 3-15 feet in the evening and 18-25 during the day. Pink and white, chartreuse or blue and white jigs have been the most productive.

Canadian walleye are being found a little deeper at 22-26 feet. Many nice fish were caught this last week, multiple 26-28 inch and a very nice 30 incher. A jig and frozen shiner is the go to, however a freshly dead fathead works equally as well.

Surface water temps are in the high 50’s at sunrise, reaching mid to upper 60’s by evening after this sunny Memorial day weekend!

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing has picked up significantly this week. Minnesota fishermen can be selective of fish kept, as  they have had no problem filling Walleye limits.  17-19 feet will produce late in the day with 21-25 feet being most productive away from structure during mid day. Pink, white and gold have been most productive all around. Glow or UV have also had success during cloudy conditions if charged often.

Canada continues to give up Crappies between 25 and 32ft, still with a light setup and electronics. Many tulibee and the ocassional whitefish are being caught while crappie fishing.  Walleye in Canada on points and reefs remain easy to catch.

We still have plenty of ice on the Minnesota and Canadian side and trails are still being groomed. 

March is a great time for a last minute trip to the Angle!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle of Lake of the Woods!

The Minnesota side is still kicking out fish between 18-25 feet. Fish are hitting jigging spoons when active; specifically White, Gold or U.V.  When activity levels are slow, try the Deadstick 8-10 inches from the bottom. We had numerous Giant Pike this week, all caught on Walleye spoons.

Canadian Walleye fishing is incredible. Fish are slamming aggressive presentations like rip’n raps and spoons tipped with Shiners. Crappie action varies day to day. An ultra-light set up is guaranteed to catch more Crappies than a walleye rod.

Trails are still being manicured and are in overall great condition. The warmer weather is exposing ice chunks off of the snowmobile trail and creating heaves, one near Knight Island deserves attention. Travel cautiously off of marked trails. We have 3+ feet of ice.

See you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been most productive in 20-24 feet of water.  Guests are bringing home their limits of Walleye and Sauger with the occasional Perch and Northern mixed in. Fish have been most active early and late in the day and the bite has been terrific. The use of electronics continues to be very beneficial with fish taking jigging spoons, jigg’n raps or rattle baits.  Snowmobile ttrails on the Minnesota side continue to be maintained and are in great shape. We are still making ice, with most spots at over 30 inches. 

North and East of us in Canada, big Crappies are coming in on light tackle setups out of 30 feet. If you are looking for walleye, they are everywhere!

Until next week, 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota fishing has been really good this past week with good numbers of slot fish and a 30” walleye. We have been on the move with our houses and it is paying off.  Multiple houses producing an all day sauger bite with plenty of walleye mixed in. 20-24 feet is where we have found the most action. Glow and white/gold spoons have been the prefered color as of late. 

Our snowmobile and marked trails are in great condition.  Thirty inches of ice is common with 24 in higher current areas.

Up in Canada, limits of crappies are still being had in 30’ and deeper water.  Ultra light tackle and rod set up can make the difference some days, while other days crappies can be caught on Rip’n Raps and Jigging spoons.  Walleye action remains strong on reefs and points in 24-28 feet. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

In Minnesota, limits of walleye and sauger are being caught between 22 and 25 feet. Presentation changes daily from deadstick to jigging but not both. Pink and white, or gold and chartreuse have had many slot fish and lost a few BIG ones.

The Canadian side of the lake has seen a lot of northern action, with the biggest closing in on 48.” Walleye are still plentiful off of reefs and points. Crappie action has been sporatic with the changing weather fronts. 

We hope to see you soon!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye continue to be caught in 18-21 feet at the bottom of shoreline breaks.  Rattle baits and jigging spoons call fish to the holes, while a plain hook and minnow seals the deal. Perch and sauger are consistently found between 25 and 28 feet, walleye can be found there too for a good mid-day bite. The hottest bite this week was within an hour of sundown. 

Up in Canada, walleye fishing remains relatively easy, get yourself to a spot that looks like walleye structure and start reeling them in!
      Canadian crappies are still filling freezers at 28-32 feet, with small UV colored rip’n raps or a small jig and plastic.  Depth finders have proven to be a necessity with finding a pattern in the fish, whether it be rising or falling jigging action.  

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      1.22.18 Sunset Lodge Fishing Report
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Minnesota walleye fishing has been consistent between 18-21 feet. The most effective method is on the dead stick set slightly above the jigging rod. 25-28 feet is also filling buckets with a good walleye and sauger mix, even the occasional jumbo perch. Slender and Tundra spoons have been bringing fish to the house. We have also seen numerous northern pike this week with the largest being over 42.”
      Canadian walleye fishing remain excellent, especially along points and reefs. Crappie action has been hit or miss. The bite has been better in the morning with anglers limiting out in the first few hours. Fishing deeper than 28 feet is important to get good action.
      Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• #m2
      By #m2
      Does anyone know if big pine lake mn. By perham is safe  to drive on.. I'm driving ram 1500 hemi... and r the walleyes biting...thanks....
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      With the all-terrain vehicle riding season in Minnesota in full swing – and the number of registered all-terrain vehicles continuing to rise – DNR conservation officers and safety officials remind people to be aware of the regulations and safety training opportunities before they head for the trails or allow youngsters to ride.  While youth riders are required to complete ATV safety courses (those between the ages of 12 and 15 must take an online course and a hands-on riding performance class, while those 16 and older born after July 1, 1987 must complete an online course), officials encourage anyone who operates an ATV to complete safety training. In about 92 percent of the 143 ATV-related fatalities in Minnesota since 2010, the operator didn’t have an ATV safety certificate. “We’ve seen the same trends in our other safety education programs – people who complete them are less likely to be involved in fatal or life-threatening accidents,” said Capt. Jon Paurus, Enforcement Education Program coordinator. “Learning about safe operation of these vehicles is one of the best ways to reduce the chances of being involved in a tragic accident.” Once they’re in the field, one of the simplest but most effective safety steps riders can take is to wear a helmet. While it’s recommended all riders wear one, it’s required of those under the age of 18. Whether they’re riding a Class 1 or a larger Class 2 vehicle, they must wear a DOT-approved helmet. It’s also vital that youth riders fit the vehicle they’re riding. They must be able to reach and control the handlebars or steering wheel and comfortably reach the foot pegs or brake/gas pedal while sitting upright on the ATV. While regulations are designed to keep riders safe, they can only do so much. It’s up to parents and guardians to make the call whether kids are ready to operate ATVs on their own. “We highly recommend active supervision of young riders,” Paurus said. “While they may have sufficient skills to start and stop an ATV – and to travel in a straight line – kids lack the experience necessary to respond to something unexpected.” See ww.mndnr.gov/safety/vehicle/atv/index.html for more information on ATV safety training. Off-highway vehicle regulations are at www.mndnr.gov/regulations/ohv/index.html Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officers and hundreds of other public safety officers will ramp up patrols for intoxicated boaters this weekend, June 29 to July 1.  The enhanced efforts to curb alcohol- and drug-related boating accidents and deaths are part of Operation Dry Water, a nationwide campaign now in its tenth year of highlighting the dangers of boating under the influence of drugs and alcohol and the strict penalties for boating while intoxicated (BWI). In Minnesota and across the nation, BWI is the leading contributing factor in boating accidents and fatalities. Of the 12 fatal boating accidents that occurred last year in Minnesota, six involved alcohol. Over the past five years, alcohol has been a factor in about 44 percent of boating fatalities. “People who operate a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs are a danger to themselves and other boaters,” said Lt. Adam Block, DNR Enforcement boating law administrator. “We have zero tolerance for anyone found operating a boat while under the influence. While failure to wear life jackets is the reason the majority of fatal boating accidents turn deadly, being intoxicated often is what causes people to end up in the water in the first place. The legal blood alcohol limit for boaters is .08, but public safety officials encourage boaters to leave alcohol on shore and boat sober on “dry water. The Operation Dry Water enhanced enforcement weekend takes place each year just before the Fourth of July, a holiday when BWI-related accidents and deaths tend to spike. Last year in Minnesota, conservation officers arrested five boaters for boating under the influence during the three-day Operation Dry Water. Minnesota has some of the strongest BWI laws in the country, which should send a message to boaters about the seriousness with which officers take intoxicated boating, Block said. Boaters convicted of BWI face fines up to $1,000 for a first offense, possible jail time, impoundment of their boat and trailer, and the loss of boat-operating privileges for the first 90 days during the boating season. Intoxicated boaters with prior BWI convictions, who have a child under 16 years old on board, or who have a blood alcohol content of 0.16 may be charged with a gross misdemeanor or felony crime and subjected to higher monetary fines, mandatory jail time, loss of driver’s license, loss of vehicle plates, and forfeiture of their boat and trailer. For more information on Operation Dry Water and boating safety, visit www.operationdrywater.org and www.mndnr.gov/boatingsafety Operation Dry Water activities are sponsored by the National Association of Boating Law Administrators in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BartmanMN
      Has anyone been to Lake Martha recently to see if the parking lot has been re-graded?  It was extremely rutted the last time I was there.    
    • BrianF
      Snagger, nice report.  Wondering...Did you happen to get a measurement on that ski?? The length seems to go on forever. 
    • roony
      That is great, thanks for sharing the pics. I miss the days when my three boys were young and in the boat with me. I hope to have the same good times when my grandchildren get a bit older.  
    • snagger
      I was up at Vermilion with my family last Saturday - Friday. We stayed at Everett's Bay Lodge and also Glenmore. We had an absolute blast. Because I had my two young boys with me the walleye fishing was basically limited to the evening bite. It didn't disappoint and we caught lots of little ones with plenty of eaters mixed in. We mostly used slip bobbers with leeches in 2'-6'. We had a surprise catch while bobber fishing. A BIG musky clamped on to one of the walleyes that my son was reeling in and we actually got her in the net! My boys were thrilled. After a quick photo she was released. I also spent a fair amount of time chasing smallies and did very well once I figured out the cover that was holding the most and biggest fish. Great trip.....wish I was there right now.
    • roony
      I agree that the larger bass should be released, same with nearly any species it is good to have a balanced size population. However, hassling someone because they keep some fish for a meal is akin to hunter harassment. Sometimes I think those who preach "catch and release" are actually killing more fish than those who keep a few for a meal and go home to fry them rather than catch all the fish they can. I am of the belief that if you are going to release a fish you shouldn't even bring it into the boat, just unhook it and let it swim. After the photo opportunity the fish might swim away but that doesn't mean it won't suffer the long term effects of removal of the protective "slime" it is coated with. I guess it comes down to using good judgement and I see less of that all the time.
    • jwilli7122
      My "home" lake is about 300 acres with 15-20 ft water clarity.  It's also absolutely loaded with largemouth bass and they taste great - just like crappies.   I've eaten bass out of other lakes and have found some to taste pretty muddy, so I'm guessing it's a water quality thing. I'm big on selective harvest, and I take A LOT of 10-12 inch bass out of that lake, as I have for the last 25 years.  My cutoff for throwing them back is about 12.5 inches.  I also keep as many 20 inch pike as I can but always throw back 23.5 or bigger. Everything is relative, but on my lake, it's much better to take a meal of small largemouths than a meal of big sunnies, crappies, or walleyes, in my opinion.  Bass are a prolific fish in this lake and they can take it. And they taste great. On the other hand, I agree with you about not keeping 15+ inchers.  The worst thing you can do is keep the 15 incher and throw back the 11 incher (actually, keeping both would be less bad). To me, largemouth bass in general need less protecting than just about any other species in the state.  1. because they tend to be prolific and 2. because most people don't choose to eat them anyway.   Now if you want to tell people not to keep big crappies or bluegills, I could probably get behind that.    
    • Hookmaster
      In the late 70s or early 80s, Outdoor News had a recipe for grilled largemouth bass. The first ingredient was "1 five pound bass". I still laugh at that.
    • DonkeyHodey
      I eat bass.  I also release bass and typically only keep them to eat when they are by-catch targeting other eaters and I'm in the filleting mood...  (I personally don’t want to keep a bass >~14inches for eating anymore; they don't taste as good (especially in the summer), they have more toxins and I buy the argument that bass help control/balance the bluegill population...) Catch and Release isn’t perhaps the end-all-be-all  for a healthy lake/fishery… Story #1:  My wife caught a nice ~15 incher in mid-May that was missing an eye...--We couldn't keep him then due to season, but it would've been a bit of a dilemma if he’d been caught a week later after full opener.   Do I eat a bigger fish that might be limited to grow big (?mercy killing) or let the survivor continue to survive?   (It did seem likely his lost eye was a result of having been previously caught (?foul hook with a treble hook or removed roughly/carelessly/mishandled?   I could tell stories, and I suppose that could be an interested thread to start:  fish removal techniques you’ve witnessed that horrify you...  This, perhaps, highlights what Del was getting at in terms of harvest vs. annoying the fish…) Agree with Don.  Wasting of ANY fish is awful.  Story #2:  I was fishing this spring in the river and caught a big ol’ beauty of a white sucker (personal best!); when I released it, I was mocked by fellow shore-fishermen for throwing back a "carp" and they advised me the "right thing to do" is pitch it up on the shore...   (there's still alot of fisherman that believe the DNR actually encourages destruction of "rough fish")  I politely reminded them this big treasure is likely providing (through its baby suckers) future countless meals for their precious walleyes…  This argument was laughed at…  But back to bass…--Rodbender—I think you'll find very few anglers interested in a stranger telling them which fish they can or cannot keep...  It comes across as “stop eating MY future big bass!”  A lake is very much designed to thrive with harvest, and I would point out, releasing everything doesn’t always cleanly equal “more big fish.” There's comments here about the northern pike that perhaps highlight this paradox;  numerous lakes in MN had a ridiculous slot limit (release all norts <40 inches) that effectively made nort fishing catch and release (since the central and southern lakes effectively can’t produce a 40 incher and even if it could, eating one would be, well, interesting…).  The goal was to produce more big fish—the end result was lakes infested with <20 inch snakes that no one seems to want (and end up a nuisance by-catch when targeting anything else.)  Furthermore, those numerous small norts grow very slowly (and die of “old age” at 27 inches…)  (…thus, now the DNR is expending resources to try and encourage harvest and hence the (in my opinion) move in the right direction with the 2018 nort regulation changes…)  Yes, I know bass and norts are 2 VERY different species and react differently to lake/season/climate conditions, but lakes/fish/nature doesn’t always behave as we intuitively “know” it will.  A fellow fisher (that is eating “your bass”) might be reducing competition for remaining bass and potentially increasing their growth velocity in the lake.  (I will again repeat:  A lake is very much designed to thrive with harvest--be it humans, eagles, loons, cormorants, bears, snapping turtles, other fish, etc…  I know, we humans tend to be greediest, and take our harvest to unsustainable damaging extremes, but, that’s why we have rules/DNR/etc…  Just my thoughts…) Rodbender—If you want more big bass, there’s a good argument that you should harvest and eat (do not waste!) more small northern pike; they are outcompeting the bass for forage.    (It’ll likely get you farther than trying to guilt/change/bully what is otherwise legal behavior in others…)