• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fairfield, CA

Quickstrike

Hey everyone, i will be going out to fairfield (between san fran and sacramento) this jan and was wondering if it is worth it to bring one of my fly rods along. if anyone has any info that would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Quickstrike,

I grew up near Fairfield, actually Vacaville and at Travis AFB. This is actually where I actually got hooked in fly fishing. Fishing for mostly panfish and bass.

Whenever I got the chance to go trout fishing, I would go to Putah Creek. A very nice trout stream with a good population of trout. It's basically a tailwater fishery and streams flows flucuate alot during the summer, but get easier to manage during the winter month. I do remember that it was fished alot and the fish were spooky and picky, with small flies being the norm.

The last time a checked, Putah creek was one of the trout streams open to year round fishing, with special regulations during the winter. Barbless, catch and release, etc.

It's been quite a few years, since I've been there, so you might want to google it and find more information. Anyways it might help you in the right direction to wet a line in CA.

Tight Lines

Hey is this ouitdee? This is Kent from mmts (team aquaholics). Thanks for the info, i can't wait for the trip and it looks like i'm going to have plenty of fishing time while the friend i'm visiting is at work. If you have any more info (directions, effective patterns, or any other secrets grin.gif) shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] . thanks for the help man, i really appreciatte it. i'll pay you back by taking it easy on you guys in league next year. tongue.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that would be me. How it going?

I just remember using very small dries (dark colored) and small nymphs (like PT's). Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, been so long..

You won't be paying me back, cause I won't be in MMTS next year, i'll be doing the bass league cool.gif.

We should hit Island Lake this summer and do some fly fishing for some smallies. I'll even give a few spots so you can blow away the rest of the teams on league night, maybe grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

HI I live not far from fairfield send me a message and I'll give you my phone number give you some up dates on Puta Creek and the delta. Fishing in the delta may be good depending on the weather. Hope your bringing a float tube and waiders with you. If not I have an extra I can loan you while your here. Want to get out and get at the Black Bass and stripers just can't find anyone around here wants to get in the cold water to use a float tube. But A Minnesota boy like you will probably love it.

well i made it back safely. but unfortunetly i have no fishing report. everything in the area i was in was flooded out after the rains. near lake tahoe things looked better, but didn't have time to get out. thanks for all the help guys and maybe i'll get a chance to wet a line out there this summer.