• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wabasha Open Water?

I would like to fish some open water from shore this weekend near Wabasha. Maybe Dike Road or Wilcox.

Anybody have any contacts that can be made in that area to check for open water? Maybe a bait store or if one of you guys live nearby, that'd be perfect!

I have a feeling that crappies will be biting, but I hate to drive all that way and stare at a coating of ice.

Shorten the drive and go to Lake City along the rock breakwater. This will stay open for some time yet and crappies are always pretty eager to please there. This cold might have the water bound in ice....that area on the south side of the road is an easy freeze when we get these temps. The water along the north side of the road may be open as it has some current. Current will be a key factor in finding the open water I think.

If you do stop at Lake City, small jigs with minnows will get them as will jigs/waxies. You could hang a Go Devil or other jigging spoon of 1/16 or less under a slip float and load the treble with waxies. Just let the jig settle and give the line a pop every ten seconds.

This is prime crappie time, so let us know how you do.

As for whether the water is still open you could try calling Bait and Bullets in Wabasha or Prairie Baits in Kellogg. Good fishing!

Thanks Tom. I thought the backwaters might have a skim. But those crappies and sunnies along the woody spots...it keeps a guy thinking.