• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winter Fishing...

Hey Guys, I was wondering what portions of the river stay open for the majority/all of the winter and are usually fishable by boat. I looked back at some of the posts from recent years, and it seems like fishing is possible almost all year in certain spots. Also, I know walleye/sauger fishing is good during the winter open-ice months, but I am wondering what other fish are catchable during this time. And one more thing, is there anything I should do or be aware of when using the boat during the winter months on the river? Thanks in advance for your responses/help.

On Pool 2, below the Ford Dam to Highway 5 is usually ice free. Further down, the Pigs Eye discharge is always ice free, but it is tough to get there if the rest of the river is iced in.

As a rule, if it is zero for a week straight, the river will be ice from shore to shore. If it is 30 or above for a couple days in a row, it will open up. At around 20 degrees, it will stay open, below that, it will freeze up.

Thanks for the reply Dave. Hopefully I can have some success my first winter using the boat on the Mississippi. Another question, what conditions are the launches usually in during the winter? Are they icy and slippery, or are they generally pretty manageable?

I have zero experience at Hidden Falls. I know if the river is open, some hard core winter fisherman will break up any ice shelf and get 494 launch in serviceable condition.

FYI, if you use these launches in the winter, be respectful of others and let the water drain from the trailer while your boat is still in the water. Otherwise, the ramp becomes an ice rink. 4x4 is recommended.

The "community" winter spot is just about 3 miles upriver. Go past the railroad bridge and vertical jig on the channel side of the red bouys. Be careful to stay in the channel, that stretch of river has lots of wingdams.