• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pool 2 Friday afternoon

Fish are biting on the wing dams. We boated six between 20" and 25" and lost two bigger fish. One broke the line after a short fight couldn't even turn the fish and the other just came unbuttoned. Also had the usual number of swing and a miss. Ringworms and 3/16 oz jigs. Fish were in the middle of the wingdams. We launched out of the 494 ramp and stayed in that area.

Jeeze, no replies to a positive post? Thanks Mark for the heads up. Last time I was on the river I only got two but one was a 26"r-purple Kalin tail on a 5/16oz jig. This was a week ago. I too, was down by 494. The fish I got were in deep water near the tip of a wingdam.

Thanks for the report Mark. Heck of nice day to be fishing on friday!! Glad to hear the fish cooperated for you.

trucker jim, Maybe the people viewing the post are fishing? smile.gif When I lived in bloomington, I fished the river alot.

Hello Jiggin Jim,

Yeah, that could be. I was on the river this morning and learned a lesson in humility. It seemed like a perfect day to me-cloudy, not too windy, not too cold. Seemed like the fish should of been going good, but I only got one, didn't really get that one either, lost it on the surface before I could get a net under it. Biggest differance from the last time I went was the water temp has dropped about 8 degrees-38.6. Also, the current flow was up a little too. Oh well, that's fishn! I did see quite a few boats out today, maybe someone else can chime in on how they did-good or bad.

Was out Sat PM got one nice fish and that was it. Very slow. Saw Steve Dezurik fishing in the same area and it didn't look like he was having the best day either. GOing to get out some more this week. I think that big temp drop put the fish off the feed.

I was out on Sunday with similar results. The drop in water temp. seemed to slow the bite down. Fished the 494 area as well. Hope to be back out soon.

Mark This time of year i have looked to fishing late in the day and sometimes after dark for crappies. The backwater areas that have open can hold some real nice fish. I got my largest fish using fatheads.

Hadn't thought about crappies but I'm interested. Lots of backwater to cover though. What depths do you find crappies holding at? Should I stay south of 494 bridge?

Mark Have found crappies in several areas depths 7 to 30ft. All my fishing has been north of St. Paul Wabasha bridge. Sometimes even rather calm waters can hold some really nice fish.