• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where to go out of with 4 wheeler

I am wondering where to go out of with a 4 wheeler? I have been up in years past out of Morris Pt, but only later in the year with my own house to stay in. I just got a new 4 wheeler and want to go the week before christmas. I will need a place to stay as well. Is the fishing better over pine or is it about the same from Morris pt area too?

Ears: Both are good places to go out of. Morris Point has a road and so does Adrain's out of Wheelers Point. Both have accomodations too. Where to fish, keep your self mobile enough and see where the bite is best. I have a place at Wheelers, but I do some scouting to see where I want to start. They both are within a few minutes of each other. Don't rule out Zipple Bay too. They have a road system that is awesome. Street signs and all. The south shore is very good and the exploring new places is fun too.. See you on the water. Don't forgert the Marine or Frs radios. It's fun to listen to what's going on, and for safety sake, they are good to have on the ice... Kaz

I may have a stupid question...Frs radios..those just the motorola radios that you can get just about anywhere?? And do you normally stick to roads that early in the ice season with a 4 wheeler?? I know ice can change from spot to spot but can you usually drive from morris pt to pine island area or is that not a good area to cross.

Ears: The FRS radios are the ones, Motorola, Midland, etc that operate with 14 channels and about 30 subtones, so you hear mostly your own party. LOTW uses the 7/11 combination to hear the fishing traffic. If you don't have one, most sporting goods places and discount stores have them for about $60. a pair. As for the first Ice, you can just about go anywhere you want to drive with a four wheeler. There will be people going all over the place. Usually there are no specifc roads at that time, unless we get a lot of snow. Adrain's will flag the trail to Pine and if there is a Ice Ridge, they will mark that too. Most of the time there is less than a couple of inches of snow on top of the ice, so it's not a problem. As the Ice thickens to 6/8", small trucks and then larger trucks start to come out. Give Adrain's a call and they will tell you whats moving on the Ice. 218 634 1985 cool.gif... See you up there....Kaz

Thanks Kaz for all the info, I'll be up there dec 18th for a couple days, see you on the ice!

Ears: I bought a set of the radios that Kaz is talking about last year at Sportsmans Whse. I paid 59.95 for them. I went with the Midland because they offer a 3 year warranty, nothing againist Motorola however they only have a one year warranty. they really work good talking party to party and monitoring the channels 7/11. You can also put it on scan and it monitors everything. They work great in SD pheasant hunting as well keeping in touch with the other party members. Good luck, won't be long now, I hope. Bill