• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone out there ever run into these on the lake? I'm looking to find them but don't really know where to start. I've heard of guys catching big ones while trolling for walleyes.

Targeting crappies on the lake at this time of year can be a big order to fill. You are right though, a lot of crappies get caught by the walleye trollers and they can be dandies. I have caught several real brutes in years past on # 13 rapalas while trolling for the pikies. Blue over silver/white was always the color they seemed to like, but I know that firetiger gets some too.

Wherever you can find a deep point or even a marina or harbor, it might be worthwhile snooping for them. Occasionally the wing dams in the lower lake will prove to be producers along with mega -sized sunfish. As I understand it these dams are giving up some sunnies now.

The really brutish crappies can be a tough nut to crack during the summer months....heck, they can be a problem during the winter too. I think trolling sticks/cranks will give you a whole lot more opportunity to catch a variety of fish and crappies can be a part of that bag. If you have no boat, then the shorefishing at or inside some of the marinas and harbors and along the shoreline itself will have to satisfy the crappy hunger in you. Again, the lower lake on the Minnesota side will probably prove to be the best as far as options go.

Juggs,

was fishing yesterday in 10'-12' of water with jigs and a minnow and caught 6 nice crappies. fishing near the government pier in lake city.

A #7 Shad Rap [firetiger] has taken many nice crappies this summer at Pepin. Seems to be the best all around lure for me at Pepin. The fish seem to be suspended out in deeper water right now, with some eyes in 10 to 12 FOW. It's hard to find active schools of fish and important to cover alot of water to get your fish.Don't be afraid to try different techniques when things are slow, you just might discover the flavor of the day. There are still some dead mayflies floating on the surface but not to bad. Gitty Up & Good Luck

Thanks for the help guys. As soon as I give them a whirl I'll post how it went. CT---Are you talking about wing dams IN Pepin or where the main channel restarts below the lake? I didn't know there were any wingies in the lake.

Juggs....

Below Lake City on the MN side there are three very predominate points that jut out into the lake where creeks enter. These spots also have the rocky dam-like points that I am referring to. Whether they are legit wingies or not, I can't say.

Very good sources have indicated that the sunfish are on these structures in the lake and are all over the wingies after the LaCupois narrows. One such source related that crappies were being taken as well along with some bullish smallies and occasional waldo. What's being used for the larger fish I don't know, but worms and waxies have been getting the sunnies found on the wing dams.

Thanks, Tom. I'll problably be down there Saturday or Sunday and I'll report on how I do. Now that I think of it, I saw some guys ice fishing one year around what looked like a wing dam in that vicinity. I think it was later in the winter and there was an open spot where apparently the water flowed over the dam. I remember thinking it looked pretty unsafe and they had driven out, albeit on four-wheelers. I've been fishing the backwaters from Wabasha down to Fountain City with very mitigated success this year. Usually I do very well but this year has been a bummer. Maybe it's the heat. Anyway, I've always told myself I wanted to try the lake and now is as good a time as any.

Juggs....

The backwaters from Alma to the Basscamp dam are drawn down this year....they say only 18" but I think it is more than that. Fishing in that pool (5) really stinks right now. They should be raising it towards the end of September.

Yeah, I've been avoiding pool 5. I was wondering when the drawdown was over. Do you think ice fishing will be normal?

Juss... As I understand it, sometime in September the pool will be re-filled. Fall and winter fishing should be good.

Can you give me your expert analysis of how the fish react when the water drops, then rises.

More than anything, when the water drops like this the fish have a limited amount of access to some of the shallower areas they'd normally use. Secondarily, the fish will lack comfort and forage will probably use water that offers more recluse. When they cork up the hole and the water returns, the fish will too. The fish simply don't know what is happening toher than the water is low where they think they want to be....like its part of a natural cycle.

Fish are amazingly adaptable and when the water comes back to normal levels they will migrate right back.

Well, I tanked on Pepin. We found gobs of white bass chasing minnows everywhere but no crappies. Actually spent most of the day around Wabasha in the backwaters and it was very slow once again. We need some cooler weather.

Juggs, if you want some real fun do what we do.

I bought an old fiberglass fly rod at an auction for $1.00 a while back and replaced the metal eyes with ceramic eyes and added a small spinning reel.

When I fish Pepin and I see the silvers breaking the surface chasing minnows I bust out this rod. Just tie on a hook, slip on a dead minow, no weight and cast to the area they are using and hold on.

It's a lot of fun carching a 3 lb silver on 4lb test fly rod.

I hear ya, man. We did catch some whities but it was hard to stay near them since they follow the minnows around. But I'm a crappie man by nature so you know how it is.

Yup sure do. I rather catch crappie as well instead of the white's.

Try the wing damns and rock piles on the main lake, we've had success there and picked up some walleye/sauger kickers as well.

Also, have you tried Indian Slough across from Wabasha ? Just south of the bridge, going south/down river, there is an entrance that will take you back into some good water. It's been hit or miss but some of the biggest crappie I've ever seen have come out of that area. We fish fallen trees and watch the water for the little blue "pinhead" minnows. They seem to attrach the crappie. You'll need to use a super small jig but fish right down among the pinheads. Not many but the ones you catch will be pushing 2 lbs and a buddy once caught a 3 plus pounder.

Indian Slough is probably my "go to" spot on pool 4. I've taken many crappies there but this year has been an exceptional exception. I'll be back down tomorrow, though. I'm hoping with this temperature drop the fish will activate. If you're going to be in the area let me know what you're driving and I'll look for you. Maybe we can hook up and share info.

Juggs, sorry I'd love to be out fishing this weekend but I got assigned a different project that has me on-call 2 out of 4 weekends. Great Huh ! The next 2 weekends are my time to carry the pager. Problem is I need access to a PC right away if I get paged so going in a boat is out of the question.

It really ticks me off.

Hopefully by years end I'll be off this project and into a new position that won't require on-call. The last 2 years has found me with less and less time fishing or hunting.

Problem is in this day and age you need to take what you can get.

Good luck to you.

The fishing definitely improved this weekend. Action wasn't great but much better than past weeks.

Matt Johnson and I did the "slough" yesterday and did great. Never ooked at water over seven feet and used Exude Microshad plastic in white pearl almost exclusively. Lots of sunfish and plenty of crappies. Large lily pads were the ticket.