• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This is not right

Just got an E-mail form a friend. Check it out. If this keeps up we can kiss our flatheads goodby. mad.gif

Listen to this, your going to get mad. I ran to the bait shop in New Ulm over the 4th to pic up some bait and the bait shop guy was telling me that a group of guys from Missouri (about 10 of them) come up and clean his bait shop out, which makes him happy cause he's selling the bait but when he told me that they had each had flats from 20-40 lbs in there pick-up. They take them back to Missouri and sell the meat. That made me mad and upset. These fish are so old and it won't take long to deplete an awesome river system with guys like that. I really think the DNR should put a catch and release system on all flats over 24 inches. It took this many years to get where we are at.

Thats part of the E-mail that was sent to me. I know this man and he would not BS me. He just CPR a 52lb flat last week. If something is not done about these meat hunters who are out just for the $ we all will just end up talking about the good old days.

What the hell good are those big flatheads to eat anyway! That does piss a guy off. mad.gif What is the limit on Catfish anyway? I've never even thought of keeping one. I bet whoever eats those fish are probably going to get sick and die. Some of those cats have to be 30-40 years old and just full of Mercury!

Should be a C&R law on all Flatheads in the Minnesota and all tributaries. Also the same for the Miss and the Croix.

I'm so sick of hearing these stories of bad egg nonresidents coming here and raping our fish. Yes, the keeping those Flats is probably legal, but I would doubt that they could go and sell the meat. "These guys come here with the mind frame of: "They aren't our Lakes or rivers so who give a sh--." Something needs to be done.

Dragon, What I stated above is not in any way directed towards you or any other outstate guys that really care about Minnesota resources. It's pointed towards the guys that come here and think "we can't go home until we get enough to fill our freezer."

Bagley

Ditto,

That's a shame. Why would they come all the way here considering, they have some great cating down there? Did the shop owner say how many they had? Not that any flat should be kept. But legally I think they can only keep 1 cat over 24" each. So if they had multiple cats over #20+ then I'm thinking they might have been breaking the law.

Good luck everyone

We ran across some folks from Oklahoma acually they ran across us deciding the rock bar we were fishing was big enough for the 3 of us and the 10 of them. They seem to have been fishing the last few nights so who knows how many fish they caught and kept but it didnt sound like they were catching much fishing with there 12ft rods.

If the fish are caught legally then there isnt much we can do but if they're not legal we should nail them to the wall!

Turn in Poachers (TIP)

Statewide toll-free: 1-800-652-9093

24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Rob

The possession limit for Channel Cats and Flathead Catfish is 5 and only 1 fish over 24" and not more than 2 can be flathead! That is directly from the Minnesota fishing regulations booklet. If you see anything like this, CALL THE DNR TIP LINE!! (800) 652-9093 . It should be printed on the envelope you recieved with your fishing license also. mad.gif The worst part is, I get out of state fishermen complaining about the cost of fishing in Minnesota all the time. Incedents like this and the ones you hear about in the news are why the price is going up. It is taking the profitabilty out of fishing for those that take the fish to sell them. The out-of-state license price is aimed at keeping the serious angles and deterring the profit angles. The Minnesota River system is probably the most exploited body of water in the state due to its remoteness and size. The DNR can not regulate it well. That is where those of us that do fish it need to step up and help if we can.

that is just plain stupid. I make it a rule never to eat anything older than myself. A 40 pound cat probably is. I fish a lot of channel cats on the Chain in Cold Spring, nothing gets me madder when a lake resident thinks they are doing the walleyes a service by putting cats in the garden.

It really ticks me off to see that kind of behavior. I grew up in Waskish on Upper Red and stood witness to the effects of poor sportsmanship and greed on a body of water. I also don’t think the issue is out of state guys or locals, there are always bad seeds out there raping the resources. The real ironic thing is there glory and glutinous behavior that they seem to live on is getting destroyed by none other then themselves. They also can’t be making to much money selling the meat by time the pay for gas, license (if they bought one), bait etc. Pretty high overhead. Just an excuse to make themselves feel better. The real kicker is these are the ones we know about, think how many fish get hauled out in the dark unnoticed by the more intelligent poacher. I don’t know how our wardens can do as good of a job as they do with so many individuals pulling stunts like this.

I've been saying it for a long time. All Flatheads (Mudeyes) caught on the Minnesota River must be released....No you can't keep ANY. The Minnesota is a prime Flathead catfish habitat and it should be made famous for growing lots of trophy class fish. I have spoken with at least one person from the State about my wishes but they say there is no danger of over harvest at this time. That is true of course but there is no threat to the walleyes in pool 2 either..or the smallmouth in the Otter Tail River etc. etc. I want the Minnesota to be putting out consistent 40# plus fish on a regular basis....Can you say "State Record"? If a potential record fish could not be photographed, measured, witnessed, and relesed then heck with it. I also don't like contests that require the removal of the fish from the river for a long period of time either...too many people don't know how to transport them and all too often, its just about the beer and the cash....just catch,photo, measure, witness, and release it.

I can just see the little brown sign at the boat ramp..."All flathead Catfish Must Be Immediately Released...After A Big Wet Kiss And A Snap Shot Of Course!"

Two Lines? I can fix that too oog.gif

You got to look at it this way. 20-40 lbs of flats, 10 guys, thats any were from 100lb - 400lbs of flats. At 2.00$ a lb they are makeing any were from 200-800 $. 10 to 1 it didn't coast no 100 & in gas to drive up and back. I would bet a month wages that they didn't buy a fishing license. If these guys drove up and spent a weekend, and went home and made any were from 10 $- 80 $ profit. You can dam well bet your sweet a$$ they well be back. And when they do you know there will a lot more than 10 of them.

Missouri and Iowa has devestated there flathead population. Thats why I go to Minnestoa to fish for flats. Iam with Dark30 on this. The MN river should be strictly a catch and release for flatheads. Dark has been leading the charge on this for the last few years. And all he has been doing is spining his wheels in the mud. The only way Dark can get any where is if we all get behind him and push, I can tell you this right now as an out-of-stater me and the monkey are pushing for all we are worth. Dark I need more info on how I can HELP......

I'd be all for a release only on Flats in the MN. Channels should be able to be kept because some people eat them and they are in abundance.

Those big flats aren't good for anything anyway except catching. smile.gif We need to keep them in their for the trophy fight they put up and it is nice to know you always have a chance at one over 30 or even 40 pounds.

This spring, the DNR was seeking input on changing the regulations on the size limit of bullheads for bait for catfish. I know there are many you, as well as other cat guys, would have loved to seen this changed. Apparently, the DNR didn't hear from enough folks.

I had read somewhere that the DNR received 20 (Thats right 20) letters in support of lifting the 7" size limit on bullheads. There was 1 person opposed.

It is going to take a lot more than 20 people contacting the DNR to get no harvest on flatheads over a certain length to pass.

I agree with you guys. I would never keep a large flathead, let alone any flathead. But what is it going to take from us flathead anglers to get any movement on this subject?

I would agree with catch and release only.. but I would agree more with 1 fish over 50".. this would allow someone to claim the record title if the opportunity was given to them. A 50" fish averages in the 60 pound+ class, and could be as much as 70.

Flatheads are good eating, but there are not enough of them and too many people that will abuse the laws. I personally dont see a problem with someone keeping a 10 lb flat to eat once in a great while.. but how many of the people keeping one to eat is going to stop at one fish for a treat? .. probably one.. ME .. I keep one every 4 years on the average in the 10 lb range.

I'm not trying to start a controversy, I would be happy to release all flatheads from the Minnesota River.. at the same time, if I ever caught that mid 70's fish that was an obvious record.. I dont know what my reaction would be. I would be happy to see it swim away in some ways.. But, I think I would be calling the DNR and Cabela's or something like that trying to figure out a way to claim the record, and keep the fish alive.. I dont know what would *weigh* more.. the title, or the promotion from a major sporting goods company.

Greedy?

Maybe .. but I spend a lot of money and time every year chasing these things, and I keep maybe 1 out of every 300 fish I catch.. and I would be proud to hold that record fish title... and I am sure it could help kick off a heck of a guiding career... Maybe greedy, but I have to pay the bills.

I totally agree with you on you should be able to keep that record fish. I also would say that there are people in MN that keep a few to eat every now and then. How about closing the out of staters from keeping any fish. I don't want to start anything either but hey, they are the only ones that I hear of overdoing it on the flatheads. I myself would like the choice of keeping a fish 10# or under, but not a big fish unless it was a record class fish. Just my 2 cents! wink.gif

Well how about a slot on Flatheads then, none over say 28 inches, and one over 60 inches, limit of one or 2 in possesion. They won't drive up here, buy bait, for maybe 10 lbs of meat each, that would be somewhere around 20 bucks of turn over.

Did anyone prove that they were acctually doing something illegal? OR were they in there limits?

I like the slot idea. One under 28in and one over the 60in. This way the ones who would like to eat one can have it ( don't know why you would). And this way we could protect the breeders. The one fish over would give everyone a chance at the record.

Like I said befor Dark has been pushing for this for the last few years. He is always working with or hanging around with the DNR. For my two cents I think he can get the ball rolling. We just need to get behind and push. Maybe we can't get all 222mi of the river CPR only, but if there was a way we could get 50,75, or 100mi of it cpr that would be a start.

Don't know if these guys from MO were illegal or not. Look at it this way, If leagal they went home with any were from 10lb-50lb + 10= 50lb-500lb if illegal who knows, it could be well over 500lbs of flats mad.gif. Think on how meany years it will take to replace them flats. I will be fishing with the guy who sent me the E-mail on the 5th&6th of August. Belive me I will get all the details that I can, even the name of the bait store were all this started from.

Look at my post farther up the page, and if the report was right, they were beyond illegal. The current slot of 2 under 24" and change to top end to 60" would be great. Call your local DNR office and get it started. Try a petition, it tends to get their attention.

60" good god, I know we're talking trophies, but good luck gettin that 60 grin.gif

Ok, Maybe I could give a little and say " Only one fish over 70# may be kept and sold to Cabelas". There are plenty of other fish in the river other than Flattys if your hungry....Its always good fishing at Cub Foods also.

Thanks for your support fellas! I honestly wouldn't know where to begin as far as putting new regulations into effect. The State is doing some survey work on the Minnesota currently and I will be very interested in the results....I'll just have to "bend" a few ears grin.gif

Dragon, when you find out the name of that bait store you can email it to me please. I know both bait store owners real well (dbeat at hot mail dot com)

The contact for the bullhead length thing(which only 21 people replied folks.. 20 in favor of larger allowed, 1 against) was to Linda Erickson at the DNR.. I dont know if she is the right person to contact, but I am sure she could point a person in the right direction.