• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Whitefish Bay vs. Sabaskong Bay

My fishing partners and I like to fish for walleye, northern and bass. Everything else we catch is a bonus. We are looking for advise on fishing Whitefish or Sabaskong Bays of LOW Southeast in the Nestor Falls area. We are looking to book a trip for the last week of June of 2006. We may also have an opening for a fisherman or two to share in the fishing and good times.

Where are you fishing out of? Nestor falls is a very quaint area, and the islands around the lake there are just beautiful to be around. Muskie,bass,northern,and in the fall, huge crappies. Walleye population has been reduced by First Nation netting, so that will be a tougher call. I have fished that area for over 25 years , and it has been a favorite.C&C camp is my hang out when going to sabaskong. Whitefish is clear and deep. walleyes are more abundant, with a bonus of muskie and lake trout. tight lines <><

I haven't had a whole lot of success with Walleyes in Whitefish Bay. They are there, and in good size, but not abundant. We tend to go 30 miles or more to find walleyes up to Sunset Channel/Yellowgirl Bay.

Whitefish does offer smallies, largies, lakers, pike, and muskie. Crappie's are a short boat ride away too.

Staying in Sioux Narrows offers you a 15-20 mile treck for the good walleyes and 0-15 mile treck for everything else.

I second Hemlock's sentiments. I've caught walleyes down in Whitefish, and they have been pretty good sized, but nothing near the numbers we get up in the Sunset Channel/Yellowgirl Bay area. We usually rent a houseboat and spend 1/2 of the trip chasing walleyes up in the Sunset Channel area and the other half chasing muskies and lakers down in Whitefish.

The scenery in both areas is spectacular so you really can't go wrong either way.

fox8moose

I have to agree with Hemlock.

I have fished both Sabaskong+Whitefish at that time of year,(June)

ILL take Sabaskong. For the numbers of fish you can catch not the size.

Most of the time in June you can catch fish on almost rock piles. Be they

reef or points sometimes it's just stupid.

Try this, there is a camp on Hay Island (Sabaskong Bay) sorry I don't remember the name, that is a stones though from Whitefish Bay.

You would have to go through turtle portage which is a 5min. boat ride

from there. It takes about 20min. to get over the rollers. It's a bit

of a pan in the back side but you would get to fish both places.

Just my two cents worth..........

The camp that is on hay Island is Duck Bay lodge. Kind of located on the west side of the island. Good Luck! Brian

Fishermen are genuine! I sincerely thank all responders. To 2 pounder, hemlock, kab dreamin, fastkaw and Benelli. The information you have shared is immense and just what we were looking for. Our group got together to discuss the comments and options and we are digesting it all. Looking at the abundance of fishing areas in Sabaskong bay area makes it look like a puzzle. However the Sioux Falls areas has the same kinds of habitat too. The area is so big that no other boats in view may be the exception. The First Nation gill nets have us concerned as they did when I fished Shoal Lake years ago. Fuel costs tells us we would like to be as close to the fishing hot spots as possible. But going to LOW only once a year also loosens the purse strings. I couldnt find Sunset Channel in Yellow Girl Bay and it seems to be one of the hot spots. Sabaskong Bay is immense and may take us novices to the area quite a while to find any hot spots. I am also inquisitive as to what C & C camp may be. Any lodge or cabin recommendations would be appreciated. Web sites, GPS locations or recommendations on improving our week of fishing would make our group fun to fish with I can also be contacted at [email protected]. laugh.gif

Shoot me an e-mail. I know the Yellow Girl Bay and Sunset Channel area very well. I will send you some GPS spots and tips that have worked well for us in past years. I have serveral ideas for you, as well as a possibility of being talked into going with you. I love that area smile.gif

fox8moose,

Around the last week in June and first week in July have been unpredictable fishing times for me in Sabaskong Bay the four times that I have gone during that time. Once was fantastic and the other times were tough. I think that the fish are likely to be in transition from Spring structure to Summer during that time. Or I was unlucky on three of those trips or I wasn't able to figure out the successful patterns. I now go earlier in the season and later in the season and have much better luck. Something to consider, especially if you are new to LOW. If you wish I can email you some suggestions for accomodations in the Morson area, Island or mainland resorts, which is where I have fished out of for eight years now. Let me know if I can help out.

I'll agree with Eastwind that the end of June can be tough to nail the pattern but when you find them it is spectacular fishing. I have found that the eyes are usually scattered across different structure from the sand to the reefs.

As far as location goes I am quite impartial to the Morson area as I have been going there all my life and it is in the middle of everything.

I would be more than happy to help you out with accomodation recomendations. Shoot me an email at mjones at wiktel dot com.

fox8moose, you can't blame us for not helping, eh? Wow, the suggestions for where to go are just pouring in. No excuses now...you'd better nail those fish. wink.gif

Not to start a debate, but the comment on First Nations fishing wasn't really fact based. Their percentage of the total take of fish pales compared to the sportfish take each year. As an angler, no doubt it's tough to see fish leave the lake that way, but there's no science to show it's hurting the fishery. Besides, I've been fishing the lake since 1975, pretty regularly since 1982, and there are more and bigger walleyes now than ever, at least where I fish near Morson. Just my two cents.

Good fishing!

I have to agree with Wild Thing that fishing is much better (for size anyway) now then it was in the 70's & early 80's. I can remember when a 5 lb walleye was major news around Morson (Mylies, BV, etc) back in the early 70's. Last week we (3 boats) caught (and released)40+ w'eyes over 20". Not sure what it would be like without the netting, but it's pretty great currently.

you can get on the walleyes in Whitefish but i don't think as many as Sabaskong or the yellow girl area. They run big in whitefish tho. A bonus for Whitfish bay is the Lake Trout if that interests you. I have caught them on downriggers or just jigging tubes on heavy jig heads. I have SEEN alot of muskies in there to but haven't caught many. The water can be gin clear and makes for a tough muskie bite somedays.

Eastwind, I will gladly accept any information on lodging you have to offer. I picked up several LOW brochures at the All Canada Show in Ill. last Jan. However the voice of experience has it over a piece of paper as far as knowledge of a location goes. [email protected] fox8moose grin.gif

Fox8moose I have fished alot of the morrison (sabaskong) area i could show you the area if your interested in a small time guide for walleye,bass,northern,have caught a few muskie but not alot reply if interested. raptile out

I forgot to mention redwing lodge is a real nice place to hang your hat very nice people. raptile out

raptile, If our group goes to the morson area we would be in need of a guide. It sounds like you have the experience and know how to get the job done. Send me information as to availability, and cost of your guide service. We really appreciate your offer. [email protected] grin.gif

wildthing. I understand the feelings fishermen have when they see a gill net in the water. When I was on the Winnipeg river system fishing in mid June I came across an old man in a 12 foot wooden boat he propelled with an old broken paddle. He was attending to his gill net and putting white fish in his boat. My rig cost big bucks. His rig cost him a part of his life to attain. I can fish with this man anywhere. My fishing is for fun and relaxation. His fishing is to survive. smile.gif

catman 71, We are intrigued by the opportunity to try our luck at catching a lake trout. Some of our group have fished lake michigan for lakers from the boats rigged to do it daily. It would be a challenge to catch a laker in my own boat with the gear I have for the other species. My heaviest jig is 1 oz. which we have used on lake Erie for walleye. The wind was drifting the big boat pretty fast. Do the lake trout favor certain depths and areas? smile.gif

i have fished most of the lakers around Annie Island. It is a bigger island that kind of looks like "Pac-Man" with a open mouth, the water to the west is a little more open and we used downriggers. I have also seen people do it North of the island. If you go a little further North and west there is a long cigar shaped island and a large triangle shaped marker on a small rock, I had a good time there jigging them. 1 oz should be fine, one with a long shank hook helps. Jigging a minnow or tube from the bottom to the top is all it takes, and I mean JIGGING it. There is a deep hole on the South side of Annie island that i caught a few in as well. Study a map and it shouldn't give you much trouble. I have the name of a resort very close by at home and I forgot the name. I'll try to remember it monday if you are interested.

if we used the down riggers we would troll from 50-100+ and start on rigger at 40 and one at 60 and adjust up or down 10 feet at a time. The jigging was anywhere from 80 up to 30. I have some pictures of my fish but haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. The biggest one we caught was 9 pounds and we caught and released more than 10 one day. We keep a few that die on the way up or have the hook real deep. Not much sense in letting them go. You will have fun and you will catch some, it's not that hard. Some people lie around on the shore and fish them with dead smelt as well but I don't know how good it works. There are alot of lower unit hazards around, be careful.

fox8moose,

In the Winter we use 1/2 oz tube jigs with white Bekely Power Tubes for Lakers in two lakes very close to Whitefish Bay. People also use 1/2 to 3/4 oz Sonar jigging baits in blue/white or pink/white. You will need to keep your boat pretty still to use 1/2 oz but they also sell 3/4 oz tube jigs. Your friends that have caught Lakers on Lake Michigan will find the Lakers in Canada to fight much better, pound for pound, than those in Lake Michigan. They are also quite edible, which has never been the case for me regarding the Lake Michigan Lakers. I always give the Lake Michigan Lakers to people that I don't like. Good luck.

Fox I don't know if you got my email or not but if you want I would be willing to hook up with you guys in june 2006 to show you guys the area at no cost because I am not a real guide,just know the area real well,and would be neet to meet new fisherman. raptile out! smile.gif

raptile- I cant think of anyone who could do a better job of showing us around. I would bet you are closer to being a good guide than you give yourself credit for. We may take you up on that offer if we decide to fish Sabaskong Bay next year. Or maybe the next time we are going to fish LOW. It sounds like your area has a lot to offer.

Fox smile.gif