• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I fished some of the wing dams on Pool 6 Friday. The flow made keeping my boat and bait off the dams themselves a pain, as I have only a five horse motor, so I gave that up. I anchored and cast on a couple, but that didn't produce either. I talked to some guys who said they had good luck with crankbaits on the wing dams, but that wasn't true for me. There was a lot of sediment and trash in the water, which didn't help matters.

Sunday, I guessed that the fish would be moving out of the channel, so I went and hit a running slough. I am not sure where the big female 'eyes are, or if they are hitting, but I definitely found the males. In about four hours I boated more than a dozen walleye in the 12"-15" range, and some eating-sized saugers along with them. Crawlers on spinner harnesses slow-trolled in 10'-15' of water off some rock was the ticket--a few passes with crankbaits produced nothing, so I gave that up. No big fish, but I came home with a limit of 15" walleye, and 13"-14" sauger. I only caught two or three sheepshead, so they weren't a major nuisance.

Thanks for the report "Eye".

I have been curious how much the recent rains have fudged the river and I guess you answered that question well.

Its a bad time of year for heavy rains. The crop lands are being worked so field litter is a free resource to be carried by run-off to the rivers and streams along with the muddy water itself.

Thanks again for the report from down that way.

I plan on hitting the wingdams all week and weekend. It's been a long winter and I hope the 'eyes are there waiting for me.

Bluto...Love the avitar!

Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com. Let us know how well the fishing gods tend to your needs.

Thanks Tom. Been playing with some northerns in the back yard. Was throwing some new tackle to see how it acted and caught a crappie about half the size of the lure. ( it was a small rattle-trap) dont know what the little guy was thinking but you gotta admire the confidence. If we can get 2 hours without rain the boat is ready for some wingdam walleyes.

How did the northerns treat you? What were you catching them on?

I fished Pool 6 Tuesday and again today--Tuesday the weather was nice, but the fish weren't really cooperating. I came away with a 16" walleye, three sub-legal fish, and a couple of sheepshead.

Today was better. I kept five sauger ranging from 13" to 16", and caught about ten walleye, none of which made 15". I am still looking for the big girls... confused.gif

Floating Rapalas on three-way rigs worked well today--I was fishing in some areas off of the main channel again, with the water being a little up.

Also got my first smallie of the year--a nice fat 14" fish on a Rapala.