• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lawrance/Lakemaster LOW chip

I'm toying with the idea of picking up the new Lakemaster chip for LOW. Has anyone used it? Is it worth it? Looking for some feedback.

Its great! I had a bit of a hitch getting mine loaded but

great customer support at LakeMaster solved that in a hurry.

Fantastic detail, that "spot on a spot" can't hide anymore.

Best 99 bucks you'll ever spend. Get the paper map for

20 bucks and the computer software and you are ready for

anything.

Curt Quesnell

on the Cat Mans computer

Fish Head, I've taken a close look at this on a computer and it is impressive.

Are you fishing the Canadian side? You will see it come to an abrupt end once you cross the border.

I fish out of the Baudette area a couple times per year. Occasionally I will fish the Canadian side. I realize the map is U.S. only. Has anyone used it on the south end.....say Rainy River to Rocky Point area?

I have had the paper map, the CD for the computer and the MMC for my Lowrance since early winter. I have also used Lakemaster products developed on other lakes (Cass Lake for example). The product is absolutely amazing. It shows you how the structure is laid out, breaklines, inside turns, points, and on and on. Use it on your snowmobile or your boat and away you go!

The problem with Navionics or any other mapping software out there is that these products are developed using an existing paper map calibrated to GPS coordinates. Good stuff, but only as accurate as the map used in the calibration process. Problem is, most of these maps were developed back in the '50's, 60's and 70's with old technology.

The Lakemaster maps are developed using state of the art GPS and sonar technology to survey these lakes, so they are about as accurate as you can get. The biggest limitations now are going to be the accuracy of your GPS unit.

I heard that a Canadian company is talking about developing a similar product for the Canadian waters on LOW. Anyone have any info on this?

The guy at LakeMaster said they were dealing with Canada

and thought things would go well.

The map breaks down to 1 foot contours and every inch of

US LOW was covered by boats loaded with this state of the

art electronics and gps gear. The lake was completely

remapped to an extent never seen before on LOW.

Good Stuff

On my own machine now

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll pick one up before I head up on the 31st. Sportsmen's Lodge here we come!!

I've got 2 of the paper maps, and I bought the chip for my brother to go into his Lowrance for his birthday. So Far I have all the waypoints entered into my GPS from Little Massacre Island South. I've never gone North of Garden Island yet since weather always plays a role and it's a 20 mile run out of the gap to Garden Island if I remember correctly. Entering all the waypoints took some work but it was well worth the effort even though I had a lot of GPS points already I didn't have everything I got off the map. I've got the old LMS 350 and I just couldn't see buying a new GPS just to run the chip. Eventually I'm sure I'll need a new GPS, but I'll run this one until it doesn't work.

Later, Ryan

Just installed the chip - wow! Was using the hot spots and the lowrance mapping before and now I can throw them away. Don't buy anything but this one. (my opinion) grin.gif

Hey pounder I got the map and chip got it at the sportmans show pretty cool huh.

BT

I will have to take a look at it this week-end.