• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When does spawning start?

I remember having very good luck several springs ago, going for spawning walleye and suckers below the ford dam in pool 2. Can someone remind me when this spawning starts? Is it triggered by photo period or water temperature?

Typically eyes start spawning at 47-49 degrees which was almost immediately after ice out this year. I have not heard a report from the river of a fish with spawn for almost 2 weeks now. This is good as they should be putting on the feed bag. I know the DNR has even wrap up there egg & milt collection activities and they do that north of Mille Lacs...

What I remember clearly was standing at the mouth of minnehaha with a fly rod and dark streamer and hearing the walleye chasing the chub minnows out of the water (almost like someone had thrown sand onto the surface of the water except these were minnows coming up).

Can I still see that sort of action below the dam?

any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated!

NT

There are lots more preditor fish at minnehaha than walleyes right now.. I would guess more towards the crappies chasing the minnows unless it was after dark.. the smallies and northerns have been pretty thick into the creek here lately. White bass were in good numbers up to a few days ago, then they dissapeared.

There was a big dead flathead cat(48") that came up a few days ago, and yesterday there were a couple muskies cruising the creek too.. one was a very large fish.

Its coming to that time where one doesnt know what to expect when the line hits the water...

What is legal in that part of the river now?(Minnehaha).

Thanks. Lynn

The normal continuous(sp?) species are open, and also bass and walleye are open for catch and release only. Northerns are not open.. but it doesnt stop them from hitting whatever presentation is in the water. Its stated pretty well in the regs.

Species that frequent the area and are commonly caught..

Crappies

White Bass

Channel Cats

SM Bass

sheephead

carp

walleye

sauger

northern

mooneye

Less common, but are still caught more than occasionaly..

Muskies

Flatheads

LM bass

sunfish

I'll be honest, it is a great all around spot, but its not always productive... success will vary from one day to the next. I have had more than one day where I caught 50 walleyes, but at the same time, I have not caught one the day after on some occasions.

FisherDave,Thanks for the info. I have a 1/2 day vac. on friday. might head down there for a little bit. see what the weather is like. thanks again.Lynn

Lynno If the water level is high, give me a shout i can point out some of the better spots.

I hypothesize that the walleye spawn is done.

We were crappie fishing in Monticello yesterday and had no luck for crappies due to (I think) there were bowfin in the area wearing their spawning colors and they don't want anything near their nests. We switched to crawler-onna-bottom fer suckers (guy can't have too much cutbait) and got bigger than average walleyes - 2 males and a female. She was beat up and a little squeeze produced no eggs. The males didn't milt, either.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. smile.gif

Rob,

Did you get any bait, is the bigger ???? Those sucker should come in handy here soon. Give me a jingle sometime.

Talk to ya later

I wouldnt say that the spawn is done, but winding down. This week and last week(fishing WI river) I caught a lot of fish that were in the process of expelling their "reproductive juices". It kinda sucked cause when they shook there head when I pulled them out of the water they would shake it off on to my clothes. But I havent caught any the last couple days so i think its about over.

Lunker - were you using protection during those 'money shots' grin.gif

Phil - yeah, I've been saving suckers when I get 'em. Frozen cut-bait is better than nothing! I'll call ya soon and see if you wanna play hookey. Baby doing well?