• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

RedWing today....

Well......the sun was out. I started the day by spending some time with our own Fishermissus on the levee tossing ( losing) jigs. Between the current and the wind we did more element fighting than actual fishing. It was time well spent though and given some water temp and a little heat in the air and she'll be well on her way to being a successful angler. It was a pleasure to spend the time with her!

From there I went and met with Rick and Dennis for some boating adventure. The weather man up there pulled a quickie on us though, and provided us with 20mph winds instead of the forecast 5-6 mph ones and the wonderful sun-tan sort of temps predicted were held at bay by nothing more that a dandy cold front and bluebird skies. Can we say chill? The two very immature saugers I was forced to remove from my jig were at least five degrees warmer than the air. On a positive note....the fish were larger than the power minnow this time around. Not much but they were larger. Dennis' one fish that I saw bested mine by an inch or two. We were not over-run by large fish hitting today.

It was the company today that saved it, not fish and it is my hope that the next trip will be as great as this one was only with huge fish. Ain't too greedy am I? lol Thanks for the day everyone!

At least you got to fish Open water! I'm jealous!!! How big were the fish you were able to muster up? I can't wait for open water. grin.gif

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Yep, the sun was out and it APPEARED to be warm... but looks can be deceiving. I had such high hopes for catching fish but was happy to discover that I wasn't the ONLY one who could "catch" a stick in that spot! smirk.gif I learned a lot and that was well worth putting up with the wind chill. Oh, and chopping off the little ice balls that formed on the end of my fishing rod was a little something extra that I hadn't experienced before. So... all in all, it was a perfect day. grin.gif Looking forward to WARM weather fishing! Thanks again, Crappie Tom!

Hey!!!!! Now you were indeed the only one who could NOT catch a stick. If you remember I did catch one, but had to move upstream just a little to dislodge it. lol

They weren't biting much better on thursday. I caught 6 walleyes 17-21 inches long(all released) for 8 hours of WORK. Saw a 7lber caught in the AM. I was using ringworms. The fish did not hit the ringworm like they usually do. I just felt some weight on most bites. I think with the tough bite on thursday I should have been using a hook and minnow. Either pulled on a 3 way up river or drug down river. Just a suggestion if the fish are not aggressive, keep in mind this may produce smaller fish too. Missed another 6 or 7 fish that I did not get good hook sets on. Was nice in the afternoon after most people left due to the tough bite.

It was a good day sharing a boat with you Tom. Good company always makes a slow day enjoyable and worth the time.

The day didn't improve much but did improve. Rick and I spent the rest of the day searching for active fish. We did manage to find a few , but after other anglers seeing rods bend in our boat we were soon crowded and I, being a guy who doesn't care for playing bumper boats decided to just move on. We found fish again in an area that was much less crowded and I had more room to control my boat...poorly!

Rick was "on" for the afternoon. I was getting hit, but could not seem to hook up on the fish. Rick was getting hit and hooking up. He then began to preach to me about the quality of the hooks on the Scenic Tackle Proseries jigs he was using. Right then another takes his offering. It was a very nice 22 or 23" sauger. Would Rick get smug?...Naw not Rick! grin.gif Well I guess I can't argue about the jigs...after all it had to be the jigs, because I am a much better angler than him!!!

wink.gif

Thanks for the day on the river Tom and thank you for the custom rod you built for me. IT was a surprise!. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but I am immpressed with the quality that you put into it. It is very sweet!

I'm happy to hear that the day picked up for you guys. I can't believe that the boss threw some attitude. lol Ya right. And the bumper boaot issue....that day was sparse as far as boat numbers goes.

I have to say that I was real impressed with that River Pro. Stable, deep and plenty of moving -around-room made it a treat to fish from and the ride was very nice. Now I know why you talk it up.

Did you stay on the ringies yourself or did you finally give in to tackle searching? You likely noticed that I have this thing for power bait. That's my go to when fishing down there.

And Dennis, it was a good time spent with you as well. Lets see....it's been over two years now working together, meeting three times and fishing once. 'Bout time, eh? The weather that day was more of a curve ball, but the day in and of itself was a very good time.. Enjoy the rod, my man!