• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
12lb8oz

Propane question for the cold weather

12lb8oz

I am planning on coming up this weekend. It is supposed to be like -35 with high winds. We have a good heater in a solid permanent house. I have never been concerned about the heat in there before and it has never let me down. But a couple of my friends were up there a few years ago when it was like -35 one night and they woke up freezing in the middle of the night. They claim the heater would quit working. I don't know if it got so cold the propane would gel up or if they had drank so much during the course of the day they didn't know what the hell they were talking about. I know propane can gel up but at what temp????? I used to race snowmobiles and we would bring the tanks in our enclosed trailer when it was real cold because the heater would burn so much cleaner if the tank was warm. I know a person could do that but I don't really dare do it in our fish house because we have a quick coupler on the propane tank and I think it has a little leak. Are any of you guys who are going out this weekend concerned with the cold weather??? If so what are you doing. We plan on starting the vehicle often and bringing in a bathroom bucket so we don't even have to go outside to take a leak (and eating a lot of immodium before I get there). Two guys in our group already pussed out but two of us are planning on going.

walleyejon

It is the decrease in pressure in the tank due to extreme cold that is normally the culprit. It is not as likely to be a problem with a full tank. The other thing that can happen is the regulator not working correctly. If that is the case, and you have the ability to heat up some water, you could try dumping hot water on the regulator.

Whopper Stopper

I have heard that at a certain temperature propane basically looses it's pressure. Last year in my wheelhouse we were out in some -40 stuff and though we didn't get cold I did notice that the heater ran full time and the flame in the furnace was about half of how it burned normally. I always carry a sunflower head (yes I know all about the concerns) just in case of problems when it is that bitterly cold. Just make sure you have a back up plan in case something goes wrong.

12lb8oz

Thanks for the info guys. We will definately bring up a 20# and a heater and if I will remember that hot water trick. Thank you