• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poll, for or against new limit proposal on LOW

curt quesnell

4 Walleye-4 Suager winter no keep 19.5 to 28 inches.

4 Walleye-2 Sauger summer no keep 19.5 to 28 inches.

Lets do for or against only on this thread. There are

other threads to put your opinions on.

I am for the new limits.

Lets rack up some numbers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• curt quesnell

• GrouseHunt'R

• Sandee

• nunzio

Against, But....the business IS going to take a hit. For those of us in the southern part of the state, that's a long way to go for 8 fish. Obviously I'll abide by the regs. If it does in fact improve the size of average fish, then I could change my mind. I just think the DNR somtimes makes a change for the sake of change. Maybe I'll just have to make a few more trips a year. If we all did that how would the business do? HMMMMMMMMMM... Also I would like to see more enforcement for the existing regs... Never been checked, My brother-in-law has been going for over 10 years, been checked ONCE.

I fish up there 3-4 times a year but know nothing about the science that goes into making decisions like this. It is a valuble resource that needs to be protected. My hope is that the resorts who rely on the resource also have the protection of the resource in mind. What are the feelings of those people . I wuold still make the 5 hour drive if the limits were lowered because every experience I have up there is unique. Adam

against, if the dnr could enforce the rules we have now without breaking the laws to enforce, we need more of self enforcement, and tipping. there is a large forage base for the fish also here.

I live in the Lake of the Woods area, and I support the proposed changes in regulations. I think most of us who frequently fish the big pond and the river are aware that there are more and more anglers each year, especially on the ice. And I for one, am uneasy about what the consequences might be considering the increase in anglers and the number of fish that they keep.

As far as the potential impacts to the economy, I’ve done my own simple poll. I called most of my buddies who drive up here (many come several hundred miles) to fish. Every single one of them said that they would continue to fish LOW and Rainy River if the regs are passed as proposed. The gist of their responses is that they will keep coming as long as fishing is good, and as long as they are allowed to keep fish to eat.

A couple of them also told me that they are planning to stay at different resorts though, because of the negativism they have seen at the resorts they have stayed at. I sometimes think that some resort owners are their own worst enemy.

Nuff said.

Against.

Winter 4&4 works even with slot. DNR has promised us perfect ice each year, seems like a fair trade.

4&2 in summer does not when the closed slot is in play.

Closed slots will affect long haul fishermen (tourism)in summer esp. non-boaters. For in-staters Winne @ 6 sounds better than LOW @ 4 & canada becomes even more attractive to out-staters. Forget the saugers in summer.

Sorry guys but I just can't bite on a full-time closed slot forever and don't buy all DNR the number estimates being fed to us.

A seperate winter and summer vote would be interesting.

Big Harvests come from big year classes, not from more fishermen! A min. slot protects the big year classes.

3 tips for catching slots. 1-leave big fish 2-learn to estimate size of fish in relation to depth and size of arc on graph. 3-fish weeds.

For, with one exception. I'm having a little problem with the slot. One over the 19 1/2" I believe is still doable. My reason: A young fisher person catching his first 26-27" eye has a fish of a lifetime in his mind. He may want to mount it. As far as 99.9% of us are concerned this would be photo/release. This certainly restricts that young angle and I don't believe that the taking of this fish would impact the total harvest. I know, I'm going to get stabbed in the A** on this but i do not believe controlling the annual harvest is predicated on fish over 20" in length as much as it is on the under 19" fish. Personally we have released many in the 25-27" range to swim again as I know many of you have. Just my feelings, otherwise I will certainly be there again this winter to enjoy this great fishery. Bill

The bottom line is this, we have to preserve the fishery? Due to increased pressure that will only grow with time.

For: New Regs & Slots

HI GANG,

RAINY LAKE WAS KIND OF THE 1ST TO USE A MAJOR SLOT, WE STARTED OUT WITH A 6 WALLEYE LIMIT & NO WALLEYES 17 TO 25", THERE WAS ALOT OF LOCALS & RESORTERS AGAINST IT, SAYING IT WOULD KILL OUR TOURISM TRAFFIC. WELL NOW RAINY IS 1 OF THE TOP 20 WALLEYE LAKES IN THE WORLD, AND WE HAVE ACTUALLY EXPANDED THE NO WALLEYE SLOT TO 17 TO 28"., AND WENT TO A 4 FISH LIMIT., AND A 4 SAUGER LIMIT(OR A 8 COMBINATION LIMIT WITH NOT MORE THEN 4 WALLEYES) AND IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE A FISH MOUNTED, YOU CAN INCLUDE 1 IN YOUR LIMIT OVER 28", IN LAST 2 WEEKS THERE HAVE BEEN WALLEYES OVER 12 LBS., SO THE SLOT IS PAYING OFF. OUR RESORTS ARE BOOKED ALL SUMMER LONG.

IF YOU GIVE THE SLOT A CANCE, LAKE-O-WOODS(ALLREADY A AWESOME FISHERY) WILL BECOME UNBELIEVABLE!!! I THINK 1 PROBLEM IS SOME PEOPLE DRIVE A LONG DISTANCE & WANT TO BRING HOME AS MANY AS THEY CAN. KIND OF LIKE, WHEN DEVILS LAKE PERCH LIMIT WAS 250(OR SOME CRAZY AMOUNT) THATS NUTS.

MOST PEOPLE CAN'T EAT MORE THEN 4 FILLETS IN A SITTING ANYWAY. IF YOUR LOOKING TO FEED YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY, THEN BRING YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY, AND YOU CAN GET A FEW FISH FRYS.

ANOTHER WAY TO GET PEOPLE TO START BELIEVING IN THE SLOT IS TO START A GOOD CATCH & RELEASE PROGRAM LIKE THE RAINY LAKE SPORTFISHING CLUB HAS DONE. IF YOU RELEASE A WALLEYE IN THE SLOT, YOU EARN A HAT. THE HATS CHANGE EVERY YEAR, NOW THAT ITS BEEN GOING FOR CLOSE TO 20 YEARS, FISHERMAN CAN'T WAIT TO COME BACK & EARN ANOTHER HAT. ITS REWARDING, A PRIDE THING & HAS HELPED RAINY BECOME WORLD CLASS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

At this point 19 for the proposal 6 against. 68.5% for

31.5% against.

Keep em coming

For the new regs

Remember when the limit was 10 walleyes in the summer and 20 saugers in the winter??

Against- I would rather lower the limit further than have a permanent slot. Too many fish are killed by stress and gut hooks. If you keep them and they are in the protected slot, you get pinched by DNR. If you put them back, they end up washed up on the shore.

-Wacker

Im for, I like a good meal of fish but want my grand kids to have good fishing years to come like i"ve had