• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fly tying

disco

an inventory of the flies headed your way:

brule bunny

fluttering caddis

clousers

FOD streamers (smallie flies)

dark woolly buggers

bwo nymphs

scuds

pheasant tails

pass lake streamer (pending confirmation)

let me know if i missed someone here..... i think that's all of em.....

• 2 weeks later...

a reminder to all fly tiers....... send me them flies!

i've received flies from 3 people thus far....... including myself, that makes four of the nine signed up.....

if you can't get the flies to me in the next week or need my address again, post an update on here or send me an email..... one person has done this and i appreciate it..... there really is no rush, as long as i hear from you and know you're still involved......

again, i need eight flies and a return address and ye shall receive all the flies in the above post.......

hope to hear from you all soon

I traded notes with him last week and sent my flies out this morning. You can drop me a note at and I can pass his address along to you if you like.

Tony

Disco,

Flys have been sent (well actually they are sitting in my outbox. but they will go today.)

sorry if it seemed i disappeared there...... right after i posted that reminder, i installed a windows security update that put my internet connection down until now....... i apologize for any inconvenience......

i'm only missing one set of flies, and i believe i know who it is...... it's not for lack of trying on his part..... for some reason the delivery folks and i are having trouble connecting up to make the hand-off....... but i have seven sets of em...... once i get the last one, i'll send them back out.....

thanks to all for tyin the flies up and getting them to me quickly...... nice ties, all......

i have received all the flies (and rod case, thanks)..... they will all be sent out today or tommorrow morning.... again, nice work all and thanks for participating.....

• 2 weeks later...

I got a nice package in the mail over the weekend; received my flies and they look great! Nice tying, guys. It was like an early Christmas present.

Thanks to all who participated for your talented ties. Disco, thank you for getting this going and making it a success. Can't wait to try my new flies.

Thanks to Disco and all who participated in the fly swap. Great flies! Can't wait to try them out...

Got the flies yesterday...Woohoo!

Only thing I noticed is a lot of folks didn't include recipes.....

Ice9-

your post about out east brought a tear to my eye. I spent most of my late teens early twienties waste deep in the Susky between Duncannon and Marysville with my fly rod. The only stream close I found here was the Root but I haven't had enough time to explore the Croix. The Mississippi is just to deep for me.

So how goes it in shaking the East Coast ways? I am struggling with the transition of clear flowing water to deep lakes.

Tim

Tim, I see you're in Chaska...we'll have to get together, maybe form a chapter of East Coast Refugees anonymous. I ran the Duncannon to Marysville stretch maybe 150 times in the past 20 years, a lot of those with clients, and that's a 3.5 hour run from where I lived in n. va and an extra 130 miles from my usual run at Harpers Ferry...you have to love a piece of water to go that far.

One good way to make the adjustment: take up ice fishing. It's a lot of fun though it's hard work cutting those long thin strips in the ice.

Also I've taken up the flyrod for muskies. Got some pretty wild flies...synthetics stiffened with carcinogenic chemicals, make a pretty persuasive imitation of a big perch or crappie...gives my lonely salt-water 10-weight something to do between trips back home, and if you want to keep the jet-skis away on a summer afternoon on Minnetonka try double-hauling a 14-inch fly on a 7/0 Trey Combs hook. Next spring take a look at Battle Falls (I think it's called) on the Miss just downstream from Monticello, or find the Kadler Ave access (they call it Lily Pond) about 8 miles upriver from the Elk River bridge. At Lily Pond you can work upstream to some very nice bank cover and the fish will remind you of your susky pork-chops except...bigger, way bigger. Even got a hot whitefly hatch to make you homesick. I run that stretch all the time in my outcast two-man. Just get used to wading on bowling balls.

You can see how I made the adjustment...I do the MN thing but fishing rivers here is great because nobody does it adn they are fine, though the smallies don't blow up on topwater like we're used to, just slurp them down.

ice

Disco, nice work on the swap. I know what an admin nightmare that is. I'll do the next one...Poppers? Pike streamers? Hair bugs?

I didn't include a recipe, but if anybody wants the steps for the big-a55 woolly bugger in motor-oil estaz just let me know.

Get this: My wife started getting ornery about all the ebay coming in the house, so I promised to cut back...then in comes this nice little box of flies. I swore that it was hard work and not paypal that had brought it to my door but she gave me the tight mouth, you know what I mean. Busted again, and not even guilty, this time.

ice

• 2 weeks later...

Ice_9

I agree the chapter of East Coast Refugees sounds good. I fished mostly from the Juniata down to the Marysville area. But most of the time I spent in the Perdix area on the 11/15 side.

I don't know about the whole ice fishing bit. I went ice fishing last year (the first time ever I drove on the ice) and most of the fun I had was watching the underwater camera. One thing I miss is now is when I would trout fish the streams that flow into stocked lakes. Mostly 'bows would run up these streams to spawn and you could have a lot of fun doing C&R on these trout.

Thaks for the advice on places to go. If you ever need a tag along keep me in mind.

Tim

just throwin a post up to thank all those again for participating....... and for the extras that a couple people threw in-- i tried to include an extra sumthing for those that did...... i was very impressed with the ties.... y'all got some talent....

the recipe for the pheasant tail-type nymph i tied is pretty simple.... here goes.....

#18 down eye nymph hooks, umpqua

8 black thread

tail is eight strands off a pheasant tail feather, tied in the whole length of the hook shank (don't clip off the extra that extends past the eye, that'll be the legs later)

tie in a strand of gold tinsel at the butt (for ribbing)

rear of fly is dubbed with muskrat (i think-- it's some dark brownish fur i found in my unorganized fly tying gear- anything brownish or dark greyish should work fine) don't use much at all....

wrap the tinsel round the dubbing, and tie off in the middle of the fly, then clip it, and tie in another wider strand of tinsel (the kind with the gold side and the silver side).... generally i like to tie it in so the gold side will be up when you pull it forward......

wound peacock herl is the head of the fly..... then pull the strand of tinsel forward and tie it off, wrap thread to eye...... then separate the pheasant feathers sticking out past the eye of the hook into two equal groups and pull them back on either side of the nymph..... wind the thread back around both groups and trim them to the end of the peacock herl...... whip finish and cement......

it's been my most productive trout fly the last couple years...... i usually use it as a dropper dead drifted below a hare's ear, which obviously also works well..... i usually go down to 5 or 6X on the pheasant tail, the smaller the better.... enjoy.....