• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fly tying

disco

wonderin how many folks out there tie their own.... also, along the winter inactivity thread, if any would be interested in doin some kinda fly swap dealie.....

i know i get somewhat pidgeon-holed into using certain flies cuz i tie them much more profficiently than others..... could be a good way to expand the fly inventory and pass some time outside o the season.....

That's a great idea, disco. I'm game for a fly swap.

The only thing is, I don't really hit the vise hard until after the holidays. Then it's about all I think of until steelhead time. I could do it now, too. I have some left that didn't get hung in trees or left in the mouths of real big fish.

Who else wants to swap?

I would be interested. You may have to do a two for one with me. It might take two or more of mine to find one good one.

well then i suppose the question is what to tie..... i'll volunteer for the hosting duties unless someone else wants to take the reigns.....

i guess i'd suggest just leaving it open to whatever flies people want to send out (unless ya gots a suggestion for categories-- nymphs, dries, streamers, etc)..... seems that folks here aren't necessarily species or location specific in their fly fishing pursuits, so i'd say tie away...... smallmouth, trout, pike, carp, saltwater, whatever..... just send me a fly or two for all the folks signed up and print off a recipe for each person...... i'll package em up and send off the variety packs to all the folks who send me sumpin.....

my email is [email protected]

i'll give ya my address when i receive an email from ya.....

so just post on here which fly you are going to tie (so we know how many participants there are for sure) and we should decide on some kind of deadline down the road where i'll just send out what i've received..... what's everyone think-- end of the month, or some time in november?

i'll tie one of my staple nymphs-- #18 flashback pheasant tail (or my interpretation of it anyway)......

If you want to jump in on this, post your fly on this thread in the next two weeks so everyone knows how many flies they need to tie.......

that should cover it, i think..... any other suggestions?

I'm in for a fly swap, too. FYI- I've found that some of the public libraries carry fly tying DVD's and books. Nothing beats a FREE resource!

I will be contributing the Fluttering Caddis dry fly - this year's standby.

Choices, choices...

A Brule Bunny, which I just named now, but I feel it has stood the test of time long enough that I think it should continue to do so. Can be better than dynamite in the right situation, and not so good in others...

...Or still wavering on a scud pattern that I’ve held as a closely guarded secret for years... A number of truly big browns have fallen to that one, but none of my friends that I’ve shared it with seem to catch anything on it, so maybe it’s only “great” for me (??).

Both are super simple ties..

I have been tying some clouser minnows and I even caught a walleye on one the other weekend, so I will contribute those.

Paul

Is it too late to get in on the swap? I'm new to Minnesota and need to shake out my east coast ways. Are smallmouth flies on the menu? I'm hoping to get up there for steelhead but the smallies keep throwing themselves at me and deflecting me to the Mississippi. Maybe having some flies would help.

Ice

ice9, any fly that strikes yer fancy is fine.....
just post the fly you are going to tie on this thread, then send me an email...... i will send you back my home address.....

at the end of next week, we'll know for sure how many flies to tie once i tally up the email responses..... then tie one or two of 'em up for every participant and send em to me.... i will then take all the flies, package them up and send them back out to all the folks involved......

TO ALL TIERS: SEND ME AN EMAIL BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK (Oct 16) SO WE KNOW FOR SURE HOW MANY ARE PARTICIPATING

again, my email is:

[email protected]

so far i've only had two responses, from "Stiff" and "Tie Flyer"...... so get those emails out, get the flies to me, and we'll all have much fuller fly boxes for next year......

i'll let everyone know the final tally at the end o next week, so all can hit their respective vises..... happy tying to all....

Disco,
I would suggest changing your email. With all the stuff going around you dont want to take any chances.

Change to nico0053(at)umn(dot)edu

deep..... it shouldn't be too much of a problem..... i generally only check my mail from campus...... and they've got all kinds of security filters..... most spam, etc. doesn't get through..... anyway.... i don't have to worry bout it gettin on my computer that way.....

thanks for the heads up though.....

I'm going to tie the conehead/weighted woolly bugger that was the go to fly back East. I generally tie them big...are we fishing 5 and 6 weights or 7's and up? Big for me is a #2 on a 4x long TMC.

ice

Ice, welcome to the forum (and the state)!

Tie your favorite as you would. I can't speak for everybody but most fly fishers seem to have more than one rod.

Where on the coast are you from?

Came up on the east coast--most of my time on piedmont rivers like the Potomac, Shenandoah, Susquehanna, etc. Also in the salt, troutskis, all of it. At the moment I'm rather fatally fixed on the muskies, which at least keeps my ten-weight in play. So far I've had them lounging at boatside, giving me the fin and laughing at my flies.
Minnesota offers so many options. Thanks for the welcome.

ice

History's fine--I'll take the Shenandoah/Potomac complex. I guided for ten years right through Harpers Ferry, where Lewis built and tested his folding boat, where the armory was that John Brown hoped to capture, where the Antietam plans were found wrapped around three cigars, where Lee waited three days for the river to fall while the Union generals dawdled after Antietam and blew a chance to end the war two years early...on and on. I'll take the Susky for vast numbers of pork-chop smallies 13-22 inches long (size, energy, and bulk rivaled only by the St. Croix and Mississippi in my experience.) And man do they like to eat flies.

Ice

ICE,
As TieFlyer said welcome aboard. Hopefully you will enjoy the fishing in MN as much as your East Coast adventures.

History's fine and all, but if they fish aren't there is it worth it? cool.gif

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors

hello all,

just another quick reminder to all of you to shoot me an email if ya want to be in this fly swap (i will then send you my home address).....

so far i think i've received 5 or 6 (have to check to be sure)......

at the end of the week, i'll let everyone know the final tally so all involved can hit their respective vises with an idea of how many flies they need to tie....

lookin forward to seeing the various creations folks send out....

until this weekend,

disco

hello to everyone.....

i've received and i hope replied to all seven people who have sent me emails..... so that results in a grand total of eight participants in the inaugural fly swap.....

so hit the vises, all..... try and send me the flies by the end of the first week o november...... i've actually already received a few...... if you aren't able to get em to me by then, just shoot me an email or a post on here so i don't give up on ya and send out all the flies too soon......

later, and a big thanks to all participants.....

Disco,

Do you have a listing of the flies? Just curious, as I'm not much of a tier as of yet and if I start tying I don't want to tie what everyone else has tied....if you get my drift.

If you need another for a swap, I've got a few (thousand) already tied up. IM me, whoever is in charge of the swap, if you want another.

-LTM

LTM, Welcome to FM!

Disco is the man for the fly swap. Email him for the status. He maybe can still get you in. His email is on the first page of this thread.

Glad you signed on.

if i get an email from ya, you are welcome to join..... i've received flies from one person so far, and he sent me 8-- enough for one more person to join the swap.....

so send me an email (my email address is posted numerous times on this thread)...... you'll get my home address in response..... in the email, let me know what fly you be tying (or in your case have tied already) so i can post that comprehensive list here so we don't get the same flies from folks.....

okay..... hello all...... we have one more person to add (hopefully folks haven't all sent out their packages.....) so toss in 8 flies instead of just 7....... LTM did get back to me.......

it's officially cut off now!!!!! sadly, no more folks may join this one...... we'll have to do another one later on in the offseason here......