• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Float tubers

rushing

Anybody enjoy flickin flies out of a float tube? It pobably my most favorite fishing to do. Nothing like being pulled around by a large fish(my preference trout) on a lake that boats just can't get on. It just so peacful being out on a glass calm lake in northern MN, creeping up on moose and loons. The only thing that I'm not to happy with is that I haven't got my 6wt T&T flyrod repaired. I have a pond out my back door thats full of northerns and bass but I haven't a rod heavy enough to tackle them. I plan on building a 9ft 8wt this winter.

Tight lines!

Rob

Yep, I do. Float Tube all over Grand Marais/ Gunflint Trail area for trout. Do a few guide trips for people up that way too.

I love it during the hex hatch..

I do most of my float tubin up in that area. I have yet to hit the Hex hatch but I always have heard about it. Have you been up there latley? I'm heading up there at the end of the month and was just wondering how the fishing has been. Do you guide independently or do you work out of a place like Bear Track?

Tight Lines!

Rob

No I guide on my own. have a trapping buddy that guides for them. Best fly fisherman in the area. ties all flies on trail down to Duluth.

Fishing is o.k. right know. Mornings and evenings are your best best for dry fly action.

I am done fishing for anything now. Busy getting ready for archery deer, grouse hunting, and trapping. If you would like a list of some lakes I would be willing to post a few.

Thanks for the offer but I know the area pretty well. I have fished up there for about the last 6 years. I'm looking to get another big brown this fall, that might give you an idea of where I'll be fishing.

Tight Lines and happy hunting this fall!

Rob

Yep, checked out your web page. Kimball, Thompson and Chester all have big browns.
Buddy pulled about a 5 pounder out of Thompson, released it too. He also got a 3 or 4 pounder out of there.

I know a local guy who has aleays been able to pull 5 pound plus browns out of Kimball.

My biggest is a little bigger than 6 pounds, it was a nice bow out of Trestle Pine.

I got a couple of browns last fall from Kimball in the 5-6lb range. I have only seen one brown come out of Thompson but its not for a lack of trying. All my fish are released. Maybe this year they'll be 7-8lb? smile.gif I would like to get into some bigger brookies. I have heard of some nice ones in Pine Mountain but I have never had much luck with anything bigger than 12in there. Got a few in the 16in range from Bath the last couple of years but its usually one fish a day type deal.

Rob

Bath is a good brookie lake. There my favorite trout to fish. If you want big brookies try Carrot, Boys, and Olson. Boys has special regs for trophy trout. Turnip also does too.

We hit a brown drake hatch once on Carrot and all are brookies were 16in. plus. A few pushing 3 - 5 pounds. Never really did much on Pine Mtn. I got a few creeks, river, and beaver ponds that I hike back into were I cath nice brookies. I caught a 17in. fall spawn colored brookie in a little creek a couple years ago. Released of course. But usally there up to 14in. at most. Witch is good sized for are creeks and rivers up here.

I have tried Carrot a few times but never have even got a bite same with Loft lake. I caught a few brookies (Maybe Splake) in Mink and even got one in Kimball and I did get a brookie in Trout lake early last summer and did well at Bath last fall and that was the best luck I had ever had for Brookies.

Rob

Yeah I thought those were splake in Kimball and Mink but I know it was a brookie in trout lake. The people at the Resort said people catch them sometimes. They said they come in from that small outlet creek right at the resort(Kimball Creek)?? I have also been given the early/late advice but, I can only fish when I'm there which is usually a trip in early June and in late Sept. I did fish opener up there one year and the brookies weren't too cooperative and all we caught was a million of the fresh stockers.
I haven't fished Sock before. How far up is it? Have you ever fished Muckwa?

Rob

You probably caught splake in Kimball and Mink. Are you sure it was a brookie out of trout?? I know there's lakers in there.

You ever fish Sock Lake up the trail? There is nice brookies in there. It is quite the walk in though. You know Thrasher and Thrush next to Bath also have brook trout.

One tip I guy gave me is to fish brookies early in the year and late in the year. If you want to fish them in the dead of summer find a smaller acre sized lake so you cant fish the entire lake, depths, and flys etc.