• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suggestions from the River Dwellers.

Last weekend was my first trip out on the river. I was on the Croix and 'ole Miss. I intend to introduce myself to the Minnesota at some point. (Dennis, I am talking with my wife about hitting you up for a tour)

I keep seeing alot about the Ring-n-grubs and JR's Rattle Jig and I definately want to give em a shot. Any suggestions on maybe 3-4 colors on the grubs and for the jigs, what weights would be the best and also suggestions on a few colors.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Beef - my favorite colors for plastics on the MN are in this order, 1.white 2.Chartreuse 3.Yellow.

for jig size, I think I tend to go heavier than the rest of the folks here. I usually go with 1/4 and up. But an old pro told me this weekend that I am overlooking 1/8th oz. and need to get more of them on hand.

I usually go with alternating jig/grub color combinations. Meaning, white grub and chartreuse jighead. char grub.....white jig etc. The other ol standby jig and grub combo is pink head, white grub. I have never tried pink grub with white head though.

One additional note to add. If I don't tip with live bait, I usually add one of those clip on spinners to the jig.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 06-01-2004).]

Thanks for the input. I think I will just buy about 6 different colors of each and a few different sizes of the jigheads and do some experimentation.

Dennis, called you but it looks like your booked for a while. I'll have to try hook up with you another time. Thanks

Have had my best luck with the Ring-n-Grub and Ring-n-Worm in all chartruese or the white with pink tail (firetiger).

I used to use heavier jigs, but have learned this year to use 1/8th and 1/4 and the results have been drastically improved.

I will also use the jig spinner when fishing the shallower heavy current or current edges and this seems to provoke some heavier hitters.

Good luck to ya.

These guys sum it up pretty good.
My favorite color is a vivd chartruese.
Chartruese/white core with an orange jig head is my all time favorite.After that its chartruese/sparkle,chartruese/tomatoe core and white.
The best way to tell what color is going to work that day is to have an assorment on hand and put them in the water.Which one can you see the best? Start with that one.
Fish see things differntly than we do, and different colors stand out at different depths,but it seems to me the one I can see the best usually is the one that the fish want that day.
Rattles can be deadly on the river too.With the reduced visiblity in the river fish need a little extra something to home in on and rattles do the trick.The brass rattles on JR's rattle jigs are loud and attract active fish.I used to get the small glass worm rattles.They worked ok but are not nearly as loud as JR's jigs are.
For pitching jigs (casting them to eddies and current edges in shallow water less than 10feet)I use mostly 1/8th ounce jigs.WIth a lighter jig,your offering acts naturally in the water.It drifts sligltly in the current looking like a weak or injured baitfish.Easy prey! A fishes instinct is to take the weakest prey,and easiest meal.The rings ont RIng-n-Grubs and ring-n-worms not only add alittle extra vibration but aid in the drift of the bait.More surface area to slow the fall,and lighter with a large profile.I also beleive that the fish hold on to a ringed bait longer.They are soft and squishy. smile.gif
Also the lighter the jig the easier it is for the fish to inhale it.You get more hookups and less short hits.It takes a little time to get usued to using a light jig because it is difficult to feel the bottom.Its well worth it and with a decent rod and some concentration its well worth it.
Did someone mention jig spinners? grin.gif
Naw they don't work at all! grin.gif
Honestly spinners add a lot of vibration and flash and also help you from snagging up as well as drift very nice in the current.They are best when the fish are in water less than 5 feet,but I will use them in deeper water and use a jig and drop technique that can turn some fish.

Good Luck! smile.gif

DO ANY OF YOU GUYS FISH FOR FLATHEADS WITH ARTIFICIAL LURES? IF SO, WHAT KINDS? ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST LURE TO CATCH A WHITE BASS ON? I'VE NEVER CAUGHT ONE, BUT WOULD LOVE TO. THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS.

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Thank you all for the great advice. I ordered 5 colors of jigs yesterday and 4 colors of heads in 3 sizes. Time to go give her h***.

Thanks again.

Leech, as far as I know 99.99% of the catfisherman use some kinda of minnow, be it creek chub, sucker or bullhead. Majority of the fishing is done at night but until recently a new system has been discovered, fishing Flats during daylight hours with cutbait.

------------------
Puff-Puff-Pass