• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mankato MN River Spots

Howdy- I am a student at MSU and am looking for some spots to fish around school. I am looking mostly for some shore fishing areas around the Minnesota River. Are there any maps that show some public spots around here. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Browning
"fishin first then life"

Wes-yeah we should go fishing sometime. I will fish for anything...but if you know some good walleye spots that'd be nice. But i'll fish anything. Email me if you want to meet up sometime.
[email protected]
-Chad

Browning you hit the right guy to fill you in on fishing around Mankato. Korn-fish helped me out last year.

If Korn is busy just post I'll be happy to do a little fishing with ya. Have boat will travel. smile.gif
------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 04-17-2004).]

Lucky---yeah i was down at sibley park a few times over the weekend....caught a few cats(not much size to them) caught a lot of carp and about 5 walleyes. If you ever need someone to go fishin with....put a post up.

How much rain did you all get down in Kato?

I looked at the stream flow charts for the MN river at Mankato and the gauge appears to have jumped 6 inches and then went right back down. I am hoping the creeks start flowing and gets the river kicking again. I wouldn't mind a week full of what we had last night.

Maybe we just got more rain up here in the cities.

I don't thik we ot near what the cities got down in Kato. There was rain but we'll need more to gets the river rising a bit.

I'm also going to school in Kato if anyone is ever lookin' for a fishin' partener. Haven't hit the river yet this year but would be interested in hitting it up for whatever species is available.

beretta24 at hotmail .com
Brian

Didn't get a reading but I think the Mn river basin did ok. The front that came through was slow moving and dumped alot of rain to the west. So river levels should climb, hopefully.

------------------

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon to check some spots. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome. I get off at noon and will check my email ([email protected]) before I leave.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 04-20-2004).]

Luckyfish,

I'm guessing the flipper is better? See you out there bud.

Good luck

I think as long as its decent out tommorow I will be headed out around the same time here in Mankato. If you see a white dodge dynasty (sad that i drive such a beater) ill be somewhere nearby. [email protected] if anyone wants to meet up.

Mr Special I could tap dance on it. That is if I knew how! grin.gif

Jp I'll be looking for you. Actually I think I saw you last Thur. My wife and I went the Cannon by Morristown to check out the report by Rapbuster. We were in the Blue Ford Explorer waiting for traffic to clear so we could turn around on 60 when you pulled up. BTW how did you do there, all we found was shallow water and carp. We must have missed the spot.

------------------

Yea..I was the one driving crazy almost getting killed trying to find that spot. I saw you there, thats where I was gonna park!I found the same thing as you, shallow water, and nothing but carp or suckers. I walked up and down that whole stretch of "river" I've never even been to that area before, so maybe we were on the wrong side of 60? I dunno, but nothing there looked like it would produce any crappies thats for sure. Maybe if we were closer to the lake that the river flows into? Who knows. I'll probably just stick closer to home here in Mankato. The fish were active yesterday. Tossing white jigs was producing every species. Even got a 5lb channel cat yesterday. Lost one BIG walleye. Real big. I think from now on I'll be bringing a net to the river. Its a pain trying to drag fish up onto shore. The white bass havent been active though. Everything else is bitting like crazy. Sheephead seem to hit the minnow at about 200 mph. I think I might have even got into a school of Gar, cause I had a lot of hits that I couldnt get a hookset on. Set the hook..fish on..start reeling..then nothing. Weird. Hopefully tommorow the fish stay active, I just hope all this rain didnt shut em off.

I was fishing with my son at the landing in St Peter last week. Caught a lot of Shovelnose Sturgeon , Sheephead , small Catfish and some 6 - 8 pound Carp .
I can now say my son can back reel with the best of you.

Sounds like your son had a good time Red-ball.

------------------

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 04-21-2004).]

Hay I Had A good time too.
The training was super. Say what you will about Carp but they will bend your rod and stretch your line as well as, if not better then most fish.
The look on his face when he got the nack of back reeling. That was my favorite part!

Made a run down that way this afternoon...Yes those water pigs are fun! I was fishing crawlers and pulled in a hefty 28" 12lber. Other than that...a few other carp, sheephead, small channels, and a few walleyes and saugers. Water was 61 degrees where I was standing.

WET NETS! smile.gif

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Yep Dark 61.8 where I was yesterday. At the confluence of the Blue Earth and Minnesota. Had similar luck but no carp. I was using 1/2 crawler and 1/8 ounce jig. I picked up a couple small channels a goldeye and 2 white bass in about an hour. I went out mainly to check some spots. Most where still very shallow but there are plenty of spots to fish along the Minnesota and I even found some new ones. I'll be checking these out a little closer this coming week.

Red_Ball the look on my kids face when they were learning to fish and figured something out for themselves is something I'll remember for the rest of my life! They are both older and in college so they don't get out with dear old dad as much. So enjoy fishing with your son while you can. It's priceless!

------------------

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 04-22-2004).]

• 2 weeks later...

Is that landing area just outside of St. Peter(going towards Mankato on 169) open to the public? I've seen some trucks parked down around there. Thanks for all the info

The landing is in St Peter.
Just south of (next to) the Hwy 99 bridge. Behind the Police station.
I just got back from there. Fished from 12:00 - 2:00 pm. I caught a 20" walleye and me son a 21" walleye. I had my boat.
If you fish from shore just walk down the landing turn right and walk until you have to climb or swim. right there is a large eddy and the current is going up stream. Or you can turn back 3/4s of the way and fish the slack water just down stream of the eddy. The fish are there.
The water is over 20 feet deep near the rip-rap on the other side.
Good Luck!

Browning I think I know where you are talking about. Do you mean the rock bar just out side of St Peter heading towards Kato? If so I park and fish there a lot, no issues yet. I think it is state owned and actually part of the hwy shoulder area.

------------------

I just went by one of the areas. It's part of our State Forest land. Well that is what the sign said.

[This message has been edited by Red_Ball (edited 05-02-2004).]

Thanks Red_Ball. Good enough for me. smile.gif

------------------

Thanks fellas-yeah i was looking for new spots along the minnesota. Have you guys had any luck there....might try it. Well thanks for all the info

Yep I sure have. That's why I keep going back. wink.gif

------------------

Hey LuckyFish---what have you been catching? I have been looking for some good spots. Well I usually go to Mille Lacs for opener but my bro has his graduation which is no good. Well if you let me know i would appreciate it....thanks
-Chad