• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poss New Limits

kaz:<P>This is a link to a recent article which appeared in the Winnipeg Sun: <A HREF="http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/08/14/582223.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/Sports/2004/08/14/582223.html</A><P><BR>I thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the opening of Upper Red Lake to walleye angling in a couple of years is likely to help take some of the angling pressure off Lake of the Woods.

Swamptiger: Boy I thought it was over!! I guess there is NETTING on the Canadian side. It must be up near Kenora from the way the artical was written. I did see some nets for a couple of days down in 4 mile bay, but when I checked with the DNR in Baudette, they advised me that was for the monitoring of Sturgeon in the river.. As for Red Lake, I believe it's to be open for angling in '06. I have been Crappie fishing and we caught more NICE walleyes than Crappie some days. When it opens it's going to be a fantastic fishery... Thanks again for the input.....Kaz

Kaz: Do you think Red will be much of a factor in the pressure on Low? My gut feel is it will not be because the limit will be reduced from any thing else in the state. Also will not surprise me if the slot is going to be tough to handle. I think it will end up the the walleye take, at least for the first years, will be incidental to the crappies as opposed to the reverse.

Sasquatch: I don't think the pressure will change either. The Resort structure on Lake of the Woods is to strong and the marketing will not allow for a reduction in people coming to the area. On the other hand Red Lake Resorts have never been a factor like LOTW. I didn't fish there in the hay day, so I can't comment on what was. I do know that some people have taken advantage of the low prices on lake shore on Red, but still doubt if it will get people to shift there from LOTW. It would be a shame if the Tribe starts netting again after all of the rebuilding of the fish stock is completed. I'm not sure if the Crappies will hold up for very much longer either. I've noticed that they are geting a little smaller, you still get a trophy now and then, but the amounts have dwindled from a few years ago. I also heard that the Tamrack river is "off limits" in the spring, which should help protect the spawning Crappies.... Will be interesting to see what happens in about five years for both lakes....Kaz

I think it will take a lot of pressure off in the winter.You will be able to fish day and night on Red.LOTW night bite is next to nothing.

I think the opening of Red Lake to walleye fishing will have little impact on the winter fishing pressure on LOW. My gut feeling is that the crappie action will become more and more scattered. Mainly due to the fact that the crappie are reaching the end of there life expectancy (10-12yrs). Not to mention their recruitment is highly variable making them near impossible to manage. I'm sure there are smaller crappie recruiting into the fishery, but I haven't caught any yet. Therfore, anglers will do what they've been doing the last few years. Fishing Red on the way up for the crappies, now with the added bonus of keeping 2 walleye then heading to LOW for the rest of the trip. <P>I'm not so sure how long the crappie bite will last on Red, but hopefully the big crappie can get off another good year class before they leave the system.<P>wareagle

I agree with BLUESHARP. There will be little change in the summer, but it should make a difference in the winter months.

• 4 weeks later...

well i dont agree with alot of slots such as on millacs and all i moved down to st cloud about 6 years ago and the walleye fishin down here is nuthing compared to up on the iron range were i am from. i dont think that it would be such a bad thing to put a slot limit on alot of the lakes around the st.cloud are if and only if the dnr does more stocking of walleye in this area. a 4 fish limit isnt that bad, that is alot on meat for one person to eat anyway, as far as a slot, as long as its fesable so you can catch them in the range, it would help to build up the availability, think about the way it is down here i see alot of people keeping everything they catch, WHY? if people would use there own judgement on any lake in mn there would be any problem. if we continue to take everything our kids and there kids wont have the opportunity to catch fish and the sport as we know it will be lost <P>this is just my thoughts <P>bigb

Does this new four fish rule effect the sauger's as well or just the walleyes, are we talking still 14 total fish no more than 4 walleye's or 4 fish total.

Walley,<P>They are talking about 8 walleye/sauger<BR>with no more than 4 walleye in the winter.<BR>In the summer it would be 6 in agragate<BR>with no more than 4 walleye.<P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

<BR> I'm not sure what nets the guy saw on the Ontario side of Lake of The Woods, maybe MNR test nets. I've been fishing up there for years and never heard anyone mention this before. The only netting going on is by First Nations people, and they are under specific harvest quota guidelines. The guy who wrote the article didn't even bother to find out any facts. It was a column, not a news article, fyi.<BR> The First Nations people take only a fraction of the fish anglers take, but that's another issue. The last true commercial netter on LOW was bought out about 10 years ago.<BR> Also, the Ontario LOW possession limit for non residents with a regular seasonal license is 4 walleyes -- 2 daily, 4 in possession, a previous posting by someone was wrong. Conservation is 2 and 2. <BR> FYI, for those of you who fish in Minnesota waters of LOW, sauger count as walleyes in the bag on the Canada side.<BR> What the hell do people need 6 walleyes and 8 sauger for anyhow? If you are eating that much fish you'll probably die of mercury poisoning anyhow... fish pigs, we call 'em in our parts... first the tremmors come, then the nerve numbness...<P>

Thanks for the info Wild Thing,<P>But, nets are nets it doesnt matter who<BR>is running them and you really have no idea<BR>how many fish they are taking. <P>As far as Ontario limits are concerned we<BR>dont need to split hairs it is pretty much<BR>2 fish daily limit and 4 total. It would<BR>be wise to double check when and where you<BR>buy your license to find out local specifics.<P>The generous 6 and 8 limit on LOW has been<BR>good for tourism as the lake was under harvested for many years. Now harvest is<BR>an issue and changes more than likely will<BR>follow.<P>Meeting in Roseau Wednesday night 7 to 9 at<BR>the high school. Baudette tuesday night and<BR>International Falls thursday night. Limits<BR>on LOW is the topic<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>Curt Quesnell<BR>NorthCountry Outdoors Radio

• 2 weeks later...

Curt get off your high horse. Most people who come to L.O.W. come in the winter. So lets cut the gross over limit then. But as someone who has to live and make aliving here. Lets be fair on slots that don't work they serve no viable prupose. Slots just make people who wouldnt keep big walleyes feel all warm and fuzzy inside.The top consumer of yoy and 2 year old is you guessed it 20" plus walleyes. So the more of them in a system the more pressure on the eatter size. Just go to any fly in lake and see. Yes the fishing is great but the fish are stunted due to lack of quality forage. Just what happened on Lake Mille Lacs. It can and is happening here. Like I have been saying all along mess with this to much and people will quit driving 500 miles to get here.(as you did at Mille Lacs)

Sorry CURT, that last bit was for wal-i-slayer. Remember we dont have warm water in the summer so mortallity is min. tonone (unless you are careless inn handling them)As for spring fishing the DNR says the impact and injury to the walleyes is a nonfactor.Remember less than 5% of LOW walleyes EVER go into the river. Just ask the Fisheries biollogists.