• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morson Area Advice

I am a newcomer to FM and have a few questions about the Morson area. My family has been going to the Morson area in September for quite a few years now, and I have been going for about the last three. We always do well in Obabikan and in Miles bay for Crappies and walleyes but those are about the only areas we fish. My main question is this: There is a lot of water on LOTW to fish, their must be more spots to try than the ones we are relying on now. Does any one have any suggestions on other spots to try that will not be too far or that we can go safely(we have 3 17 foot boats) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We do have good Lake Maps of the area but sometimes some in our party get set in their ways and do not like to explore.

First of all, welcome to F.M. What are you looking to fish for in September? I usually fish in May, July and October so there are others that can give you better advice than me for September but what you are looking for will drive where you should explore. As far as crappies go, another good Falkl spot is off of the South tip of Hay Island. For walleyes I would just start trying choke points between islands ( moving water) and bars and holes off of islands in Miles Bay and sooner or later you will start putting it together. Fish in the wind and keep moving if you are not boating fish within 15 minutes on a spot. If you are very adventurous, you can go a few more miles West and try near Rubber Island, Naongashing Narrows and Mackensie Island. These are all well know Fall spots but will be a ride to those that are not used to going. As far as those in your group being hesitant to travel 10, 15 or 20 miles for fish, you just do it with your boat and when they see and hear about your luck they will catch on. Half the fun on LOTW is the exploring. As long as you still have gas, you are not lost. A GPS is also a good thing to have along. Wizard, Eskay, DMOORE and others will probably chime in with some additional helpful advice. Good luck and have fun.

Welcome to FM. I agree with Eastwind that if you are willing to travel, heading west will pay off. I usually start north of Boomstick. Work choke points and channels with current all the way to Nangoshing. Usually pick up enough eye's for a meal and once in a while snag a pig.<BR>Keep checking back. There are a few Morson fisherman who post great reports on this site and also the Canada forum.

f4f- Welcome to FM<BR>Eastwind said it right. Right now, find any reef that tops out at 10-12 feet and drop a jig and you will catch fish.<BR>I typically will start out in the Dawson area and head up to the Firebag area. Watch for reefs that are not on the map, they can be some of the best. The lake gets "smaller" every day I'm out.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

49,<BR> Have you tried "The Elbow" in Obabikan Lake? It's a major hotspot in the fall for just about anything you want to catch-Crappies, big northerns and musky, and walleyes. Easy to get to, also. My main suggestion is to get a good map and a GPS. Hotspots maps are good, and there is a new set of Canandian maps available that are more detailed. I've seen them a few places, but if you travel up to Morson, stop at Carol's Cafe and Bait in Bergland. They have the maps there, and also at the Morson Shopping Center. A GPS is the most important tool you can have on LOTW in my opinion, and if you bring your own boats I would strongly suggest a boat mounted unit that accepts the LOTW chip from Navionics. Their chip shows all the buoys on both sides of the lake, along with map overlay and depth lines. It isn't cheap in initial startup, but will save you time and trepidation in the long run. And it's a LOT cheaper than a new lower unit and a night stranded on an island.<BR> Keep checking this website, and we have a running thread on LOTW in the Canada topic. Things will start heating up as August passes and the temps cool off.<BR> Another good spot I just remembered is "The Chute" behind Rabbit Island. Great spot for fall walleyes (any time, really), and a good spot for the occassional musky and northern.<BR> Good luck, and I might be up there in mid Sep to do some duck hunting/musky fishing. Might see you there. 18' gray/black alumacraft w/115 gray Yamaha. Radio usually on 14 or 16.