• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New law? Ya right!

Last weekend on 16 mile reef a 4 wheeler pulled up to my dad's fish house, never said who he was, swung the door open without knocking and wanted to check his fish. I thought there was a new law in effect. And besides, this guy was a total jack [PoorWordUsage]. He was telling him that we wouldn't be driving his truck out there and gave him heck for having a burbout on the ice.

WOW!! That's ridiculous. Isn't it nice to know that we pay these jackasses salaries so they can go around acting like that? I wonder what he would have done if your dad had it locked from the inside. HAHA! It's too bad that someone can't even go to a remote location like LOW to fish and still get hassled by the CO's that are trying to prove how "macho" their authority is.

No kidding. He started taking fish out of the pail and after he had a couple of them on the floor he asks, "Do you mind if I dump them on the floor?" Maybe the next time he swings the door open his wife will be sitting in there.

It was interesting how they were working. I was fishing with Lip Ripper and we heard the 6x6 driving and could tell it was a game warden. Another CO was on a sled. The CO on the 6x6 saw us standing outside our house and went to Lip Ripper's dad's house because he knew we saw him coming to our house. I tell you a CO can fine you for whatever, whenever, and whoever anytime they want. I wish they would have come over to our house and like you said Lip Ripper if we would have cleaned our fish and had them in bags to watch them count each fillet!

I don't understand why it takes two of them driving around. I was out on a lake once and it was early ice so you had to walk from shore. I saw their truck drive up and two of them get out. There was quite few people out in one general area. Myself and two others were sitting out on the ice drinking a beer and those two guys walked out to us checked our licenses and they were sitting their counting our holes. Only two of us were actually fishing. We had about 15 holes drilled right around us. They kept looking and counting how many holes we had, then he asked and I told him we had a lot, but we were only fishing two each (The truth). They still kept counting. I also had a bucket full of rods. I think they saw some young guys out on the lake sitting on the bare ice drinking beer and they thought they'd get us for something, so they kept looking. They never found anything. After they were done checking us they left and got in their truck. Never checked anybody else. At least they had manners, but I just think there's too many of them if they have to go driving around with two of them.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if they were going around to see how everyone was doing so that they could pass on the info to other anglers, at the same time keeping any eye open for illegal activity, but I have a problem with them going around in an investigative manner, like they already have suspicions about what we're doing. It seems that most of the CO's are committing borderline harassment by digging that far down. That's why anglers have lost most of their respect for the CO's. Too bad we're the ones that understand that concept and not the CO's.

Whats the big deal about putting your fish out on the ice. Is that against the law or what. Whats the new law thing your talking about.

From what I understand it is against the law to leave fish on the ice (burbots for example) and it is a $60 fine. I think that is right, but I am not sure.

Hey Guys,<P>Here is a sight where you can check out the local CO's job. They file a report every week. Unfortunately they deal with one or two a$$ holes a day, I suppose they have a right to be grumpy too! <A HREF="http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/co_report/district1.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/co_report/district1.html</A><BR>

New Law?<P>as Far as I can tell, there is no new law, it's just a new intrepretation of the 4th amendment, and the minnesota constitution. For many many years through inherent powers the Dnr has been able to more or less ignore search and seizure laws aimed at protecting the privacy of us, the citizens. <P>I noticed on the other big thread about this that a lot of sportsmen really didn't care that the dnr had the search power that they did, and I agree it's nice when they nab people who are taking way too many fish, or people who are smoking crack, or marijuana on the ice. But, The latest ruling in minnesota was that the CO's were abusing their powers of searching, and assuming powers of searching that they weren't allowed by the minnesota constitution, and the federal constitution.<P>Lip Ripper was talking about how the CO's he encountered weren't honoring the decision. one of my buddies who is right now filling out applications for police departments said and I quote "well of course they can get away with that, the public is stupid." I guess my two cents on this is that if you don't want be walked all over, maybe put a copy of the courts decision on the outside of your fish house door, or one of the numerous newspaper articles that have been written about it. Especially, as someone said before, if you plan on doing private things in your fishhouse, Ie, quality time with wife.

Talked to a CO from the Bemidji area last night. He confirmed that the DNR doesn't believe they have the right to enter your fish house without permission. In fact he couldn't believe any CO's would after the memo's out of St. Paul. Too bad you guys had that experience.